Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Batman and Robin Annual, #3

After a year that included death, resurrection and battles with the forces of Apokolips, it's time for Batman and Robin to get back to basics both as father and son and partners in crimefighting. But have the events of the past year left too great a rift for them to bounce back from?

Full article here.

JJRyp is amazing. He has been bouncing around a bunch of books at a bunch of publishers. Time for someone to lock him down on a book for 3-4 years.

Never been a big fan of Ryp. Don't like his faces.

my GOD!
    what is wrong with everyones faces!!!!

It's good art, but I still prefer Gleason.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    my GOD!
    what is wrong with everyones faces!!!!
    That's unfortunate the previous 2 annuals were so beautifully illustrated.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Ryp's great. Don't see anything wrong with the faces. They have character.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Always Rakzo

This was pretty fun overall and a fitting conclusion for the book.

This was pretty cool. Lots of nice Bruce and Damian moments. The "I can see you working up to say it" line was hilarious. Although was hoping this would set up the upcoming Damian solo book or at least explain why he isn't appearing in endgame.

Astonishing Member

Certainly not a bad story. I enjoyed it a lot, and quite liked that the issue only featured three characters, one of whom was a dog. It's nice to see Damian get to do some of the fun stuff Dick Grayson always got to do, including wearing a bubble-helmet space suit and going sci-fi. It's also possibly a payoff to issue # 4 of Morrison's Batman & Son where Damian finally thinks he's father is cool when Batman reveals that he's got a Bat-Rocket.

That said I was a smidge disappointed, just because coming after Superpower and being the final issue of Tomasi on Batman and Robin, I almost expected a bit more of a solid coda for the run itself. (Robin Rises was a solid finale, with Superpower as a coda, and this is I guess just a little extra chapter.) Because Tomasi's been pretty good about not just giving us frilly stories that don't contribute to the greater storyline, so this just felt a bit ... superfluous.

If it hadn't captured a bit of the old Bill Finger, or Brave & Bold vibe it probably wouldn't have won me over at all.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I love Titus the dog
    I love all of Damian's pets
    It would have truly been a straight up lighthearted Batman story if they did what Damian mentioned and made Titus a space suit......oh and maybe not have killed all those aliens by dropping them into a volcano.
    Batman's code on killing is a tricky when it comes to aliens though

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I love Titus the dog
    I love all of Damian's pets
    It would have truly been a straight up lighthearted Batman story if they did what Damian mentioned and made Titus a space suit......oh and maybe not have killed all those aliens by dropping them into a volcano.
    Batman's code on killing is a tricky when it comes to aliens though
    Good thing they were just parasites pretending to resemble humans, right? Not that it particularly explains how these parasites seemed to be able to speak with some form of language. Comics, everyone! Garbled space language is just another "mimicry" that the totally non-sentient monsters that can construct advanced space-ships are pretending to do.

Batman stone cold murdered sentient space creatures in this. He was at the Lex J. Luthor Memorial JLA Satellite ... he couldn't have phoned Superman?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

That was actually a pretty fun read.

I agree that it would have been nice if this set up the next chapter in Damian's life, or did a bit more close the last chapter, but hell, you can't beat a good ol' space/moon adventure. (Bonus points for including Titus in part of it)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    That was actually a pretty fun read.

I agree that it would have been nice if this set up the next chapter in Damian's life, or did a bit more close the last chapter, but hell, you can't beat a good ol' space/moon adventure. (Bonus points for including Titus in part of it)
    Yeah, I think fun is the way to put it. I liked the energy and humor it had but it wasn't super impactful.

Incredible Member

I enjoyed the final issue of B&R, the annual sounds fun, will hve to pick it up!