Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Meanwhile, in an interview on Wednesday, Snyder let drop that Eternal 2.0 will focus on the various Robins:

http://www.superherohype.com/feature...ernal-season-2

One presumes much of the payoff from the Batman summit that King mentioned in his last podcast will show up here.

Spectacular Member

I'm just not seeing how/why Cassandra Cain would show up in this super-spy book. What value would she add to the story? If she does turn up it'll be less about advancing the story & development of Grayson and more about the clamor for her to be Batgirl or Black Bat or whatever.

Characters introduced and featured in the book should add to the mythos the creative is building or be used for personal growth of the books featured characters; Dick obviously takes precedence but Helena's backstory could be fleshed out & Tiger could be developed this way as well.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by OversizedLoad View Post
    I'm just not seeing how/why Cassandra Cain would show up in this super-spy book.What value would she add to the story? If she does turn up it'll be less about advancing the story & development of Grayson and more about the clamor for her to be Batgirl or Black Bat or whatever.

Characters introduced and featured in the book should add to the mythos the creative is building or be used for personal growth of the books featured characters; Dick obviously takes precedence but Helena's backstory could be fleshed out & Tiger could be developed this way as well.
    You seemed to answer your own question there, having Cassandra as part of the Grayson series along with Helena would enhance the mythos of the comic. If Dick Grayson is indeed going to become the center of the espionage section of the DCU, it would help to have relevant characters occupy that world along with him, even if it's only temporary. In terms of how, St. Hadrians trains young female assassins whose parents in many cases were criminals, it wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to introduce Cassandra as one of them. Regarding the clamor for Cass to be Batgirl, there's a clamor for Dick to become Nightwing again and Helena to become Huntress again, and that has yet to deter DC from developing Dick and Helena as spies.

Now the question of whether Cassandra's introduction along with her development will interfere with the character development of Dick, Helena and Tiger is a legitimate concern. However, that is a concern that would be shared in any other book she is reintroduced in. I am confident that Tim Seeley and Tom King could handle putting those characters in the same book together.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Meanwhile, in an interview on Wednesday, Snyder let drop that Eternal 2.0 will focus on the various Robins:

http://www.superherohype.com/feature...ernal-season-2

One presumes much of the payoff from the Batman summit that King mentioned in his last podcast will show up here.
    Eeh, not sure how i feel about that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Eeh, not sure how i feel about that.
    What's the downside? The current - enjoyable - weekly comic's main failing is that it's still at heart a Batman story. And we have Batman stories. We can go weeks at a time without the story showing much away from Batman On The Case Reporting To His Ally In The Batcave.

A "Robin Eternal" would, almost by definition, need to be something unique. Especially now that each Robin as their own "niche" - psychedelic superspy, sci warrior vigilante, technowhizz, family-adventure mysticism - you can't really tell a story with the lot of them together than you could tell with any one of then seperately.

Plus, it's handy for Dick. From a practical point of view, the more titles Dick Grayson Of Spyral turns up in the longer that status quo will last - casual acceptance of the idea among comics fans is the only thing that will stop "Grayson" being seen as a Gimmick Book marking time until Nightwing is back to carry Batman's coffee - and creatively, a weekly title with Dick mingling with the Bat Family reduces the pressure to have him do so in "Grayson" itself.

I love "Grayson". I love Dick and Damian, and think there have been some great Dick/Babs and Dick'n'Tim and Dick'n'Jason stories told. I wouldn't want "Grayson" to devote an issue - or worse, an arc - to those relationships at the expense of developing it's own. But a weekly Bat Family/Robins title? Perfect for it.

Similarly, I'm going to whisper the Forbidden Phrase.... A weekly crossover title is pretty much the only available platform that would be able to do justice to the fallout from the [whisper]"Dick's dead" plotline.[/whisper.]

Astonishing Member

Twitterstalk update!

Tom King on Agent 1/Tiger: "he's one of the stars of the second season. Those 3 on the cover are our leads."

Tim Seeley on the reasons behind the price-bump "more pages!"

Downside is Tim and Jason have kind of sucked in Eternal. The best part of Eternal to me has been the new characters like Julia, every time Tim and Jason popped up it kind of just left me thinking that "im glad Dicks not part of this". Plus i frigging hate, as someone else around here so elegantly put it, the boy band distinguishing feature technique they use when they stick them all in the same room.

That being said, im not against Dick being in more titles. I agree that it will help to further integrate this new status quo. I also love Dick and Damian, and Dick being alive is obviously a story waiting to be told. This does seem like a good place for all that. I think thats whats tearing me on the idea. I know its probably for the best, but at the same time im skeptical that they'll handle him well. I know Seeley's one of the writers on Eternal, so thats comforting, but still.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-13-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Astonishing Member

Oh dope! More pages is awesome.

That Eternal news makes me wonder if/hope that King gets folded into Eternal Season 2. It's only right, if they really are focusing on Grayson. Higgins hasn't had much of a presence in the Bat line under Doyle so I'd wonder if he's still on board.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OversizedLoad View Post
    I'm just not seeing how/why Cassandra Cain would show up in this super-spy book. What value would she add to the story? If she does turn up it'll be less about advancing the story & development of Grayson and more about the clamor for her to be Batgirl or Black Bat or whatever.

Because she's the daughter of one of the world's greatest assassins/mercenary, who was trained practically from birth to be a living weapon. This is EXACTLY the type of book that she should debut in.

She's an undefeatble introvert that doesn't speak. I question whether they should reintroduce her at all, let alone as a supporting character to Grayson.

She's an undefeatble introvert that doesn't speak. I question whether they should reintroduce her at all, let alone as a supporting character to Grayson.
    C'mon, just imagine Cass dealing with the other girls.

The only thing she's good at is h2h. She's utterly helpless in other areas. Hardly unbeatable.

Astonishing Member

Downside is Tim and Jason have kind of sucked in Eternal. The best part of Eternal to me has been the new characters like Julia, every time Tim and Jason popped up it kind of just left me thinking that "im glad Dicks not part of this". Plus i frigging hate, as someone else around here so elegantly put it, the boy band distinguishing feature technique they use when they stick them all in the same room.
    Well, that all makes sense - personally, I thought Seeley writing for Jason and Tynion writing for Tim when they had some space to breathe was a step up from how both characters have generally been portrayed since the reboot, but I agree that when they put all the sidekicks in one room they all get lamer.

But given that's fairly significant problem for a "family" of characters, and this is going to keep happening, I kinda feel like it's the sort of problem you solve by hitting head on. If you have the characters interact with each other, rather than all stand in a line talking to Batman, then the writing and the art are automatically questing for differences and uniquenesses in the characters. It's hard to make Tim And Dick And Jason All Talk To Batman About X interesting. But there are a myriad different ways that Dick and Jason could bump heads, or Dick and Tim could interact. And the fraternal Jason/Tim dynamic post reboot is one of the underexplored gems of it.

tl;dr - I agree the Bat Titles have struggled with this. But I think a title like this could really chip away at that problem, and leave the characters better off at the end.

That being said, im not against Dick being in more titles. I agree that it will help to further integrate this new status quo. I also love Dick and Damian, and Dick being alive is obviously a story waiting to be told. This does seem like a good place for all that. I think thats whats tearing me on the idea. I know its probably for the best, but at the same time im skeptical that they'll handle him well. I know Seeley's one of the writers on Eternal, so thats comforting, but still.
    Heh. Yeah, I'm so pleased with "Grayson" right now that I'm a little wary about other writers handling him too. But that's how shared universe characters survive!

And apart from Seeley, I think Tynion's a shoo-in for the next writing team. Who's a guy who's work I haven't loved except when it comes to Bat Family interaction. He breathes this kinda stuff, and ups his game accordingly. So right then and there, you've got two people who are deeply invested and have the nouse to give it their best shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Oh dope! More pages is awesome.
    I know, right? Although the solicit doesn't reflect this.... Could be changed though. Or do they put fewer ads in the more expensive books, to compensate?

Have to be honest, I've never really totted up the Story Pages of differently priced titles....

That Eternal news makes me wonder if/hope that King gets folded into Eternal Season 2. It's only right, if they really are focusing on Grayson. Higgins hasn't had much of a presence in the Bat line under Doyle so I'd wonder if he's still on board.
    I think it's probably best for King to spread his wings a little elsewhere as A New Talent - poor guy, on the cusp of being Beloved and he goes and kills Kyle Rayner -and I think it would be a mistake to have Seeley and King too joined at the hip.

I agree that Higgins probably isn't nailed in - I wonder how much his Last Minute Layman Replacement thing wasn't as much a favour to his friend Snyder to pitch in when they needed him as it was a strong desire to work the Bat Books again - so I wonder.... There weren't, as far as we know, any Unexpected Names at the Bat Summit where there? And it's pretty safe to assume the Eternal 2 writing team would be there.

So I reckon we've got Seeley, Tynion, Tomasi and.... who? Valentine? Stewart?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Twitterstalk update!

Tom King on Agent 1/Tiger: "he's one of the stars of the second season. Those 3 on the cover are our leads."

Tim Seeley on the reasons behind the price-bump "more pages!"
    Oh. Well then. 3.99 is good then. Extra pages is good.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Because she's the daughter of one of the world's greatest assassins/mercenary, who was trained practically from birth to be a living weapon. This is EXACTLY the type of book that she should debut in.
    Why would a girl trained from birth to be an unbeatable weapon be sent to a finishing school for assassin?
    The book isn't about assassins and mercs. It is a spy-fi book filled with colorful weirdos starring the world's coolest hero, Dick Grayson.

^^^
    This so much