42 26.25%
  • 1990-1999

37 23.13%
  • 2000-2009

27 16.88%
  • 2010-current

18 11.25%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

'80s - Don Newton art, interlinked stories in Batman and Detective, lots of gritty detective stories, Batman was actually fallible and got knocked out/beaten up pretty regularly, Dick finally grows up and leaves, Talia shows up and acts all ambiguous, and of course the obvious stuff: The Dark Knight Returns and The Killing Joke.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

The 70s.Had my favorite version of Batman and there was a balance between the whackiness of 60s and the serious tone of the 40s.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    One of the things I love about the 70's Batman was the focus on the Detective part of the character. Too many times in the modern day, the Detective aspect feels like an informed part of the character and the focus is on his anti-JLA contingency plans and the character's personal flaws. A lot of the stories from the 70's which I read actually brings that aspect to the forefront and thankfully, he doesn't just type something into the Bat Computer and the solution he gets turns out to be the answer to the mystery. No, the writers put some effort into it. It wasn't Sir Author Conan Doyle and some of the mysteries were quite simple but it was a good read nonetheless.

I think taking away things like Batman working with non-Jim Gordon authority figures and interacting with the citizens took something away from the character.

QFT!
    70's Detective Batman for me. A big part of my childhood. Batman was never better. So many cool villains as well.... Ras..... Man-Bat..... and the art. Giordano, Adams, Aparo...
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

I'm surprised there isn't more love for the stories where all our favorite characters were created.
    My, my! One does peculiar things when one is a gorilla!

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

1. 80's: In my opinion this was the birth of the modern Batman. The three most influential batman stories are from this era.
    2. 90's: This was probable the era when the Batman books were the most consistently well written across the line. Plus you had Batman the animated series which was probably the greatest of a comic book character into another medium ever.
    3. 70's: Brought Batman back to his roots.

Spectacular Member

Crap, pushed the wrong one. 2000-2009 is the best one by far. Batman Begins, The dark Knight, Grant Morrison (and Paul Dini) on Batman

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    1. 80's: In my opinion this was the birth of the modern Batman. The three most influential batman stories are from this era.
    2. 90's: This was probable the era when the Batman books were the most consistently well written across the line. Plus you had Batman the animated series which was probably the greatest of a comic book character into another medium ever.
    3. 70's: Brought Batman back to his roots.
    One would be tempted to vote for the 90's just for Batman:TAS alone, but Batman:TAS was basically just Batman '89 animated (even had the same theme music), so you kinda have to give it to the 80's even though it came out in '92.

BANNED

Even though the 70s and 80s gave us most of the best single Batman stories, the 90s gave us the longest run of great multi-part storylines.

I'm going to go with the 90s. Dixon and Moench with O'Neil as editor!

I can't say either the 80's or the 90's because the answer is in between. For just comics, the ten year stretch between 1986-1995 was the best and really can't be beat. That period of time contained the best stories of both decades.

But when you start to include TV and film, the answer is the 90's, if only for Batman: The Animated Series. (I also liked Batman Returns... and Batman Forever!)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    One would be tempted to vote for the 90's just for Batman:TAS alone, but Batman:TAS was basically just Batman '89 animated (even had the same theme music), so you kinda have to give it to the 80's even though it came out in '92.
    Not really. The B:TAS Batman and Burton Batman were very different people.

B:TAS is the blending of the 70's Batman by O'Neill, Englehart, Barr and the darker 80's Batman established by Miller and Burton. It took the best parts of all the existing versions at the time and created a show that can be dark, spooky and noirsh but can also be silly and can incorporate the more sci-fi and fantastical elements of the Batman world.

My god this question is tough. I'd probably have to go with the 90's though (which is something that I never thought I would say about anything) just because it gave us BTAS and Beyond. But the 00's and 80's are tied for 2nd in my book with my love for Morrison's run and Brave and the Bold in heated competition with Year One and DKR.
    Currently Reading: Lazarus, American Vampire, Wytches, Descender, Batman, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, High Crimes, Deadly Class, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, The Fade Out, Thor, Gotham Academy, Southern Bastards, Batgirl, All Star Section Eight, Injection, Howard the Duck, Weirdworld, Grayson, Midnighter, Prez, Hawkeye

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier X View Post
    I'm surprised there isn't more love for the stories where all our favorite characters were created.
    Ιf not for the great runs in 70s, 40s would get my vote.I still found some of the debut villains stories to be far great than any modern remake.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Spectacular Member swing kinker's Avatar

The 90s had it's great points but it was the start of the non stop crossovers that really annoyed me. Also the treatment of Alan Grant after he spoke out about the stupidity of cataclysm left a bitter taste in my mouth.

WARNING: BUMPING UP AN OLD THREAD FROM 2014!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier X View Post
    Depends on how you define "all our favorite characters were created" since while Bruce and Dick were from 1939-1949, there have been other good characters added since then.

By the way, the poll when I first found this this thread down in the basement showed the leading vote-getters as
    1980-1989 = 22 votes
    1990-1999 = 20 votes
    1970-1979 = 14 votes
    2010-current (which was 2014 then) = 9 votes
    2000-2009 = 6 votes

But I'm going to add a vote to 1970-1979.

BANNED

Periods with Neal Adams or Norm Breyfogle art. Anything written by Morrison.