View Poll Results: Digital, floppies, or TPB?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single issue

15 41.67%
  • TPB

7 19.44%
  • Digital

14 38.89%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Default Floppies, trades, or digital?

How are you guys reading your indie comics these days, and why? I'm thinking of going all digital or trades to conserve space and to make things a bit more manageable, but am wondering how my fellow brethren here at CBR handle their reading habits....

I HATE when people call paper, single-issue comic books "floppies" . . . makes it sound like they're something useless.

Show some RESPECT!! These were the ORIGINAL FORMAT (aside from newspaper comic strips, which is what early comic books were often reprinting).

I read all my pull list books digitally now since my only close LCS closed down. I also buy OHC or HC of older stuff that I either want to read, or have read and just HAVE to own. I still by single issue #1, variants and key issues from time to time that I like just to collect. So I voted for digital but I really buy a little bit of everything.

Mixture of floppies, HCs and digital. No real rhyme or reason to it.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I HATE when people call paper, single-issue comic books "floppies" . . . makes it sound like they're something useless.

Show some RESPECT!! These were the ORIGINAL FORMAT (aside from newspaper comic strips, which is what early comic books were often reprinting).
    I hate that term too, its demeaning.

I buy comics, trades and might switch to digital soon though.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Incredible Member

Single issues for sure. I don't enjoy comic books as much on a screen. I like holding an actual book and reading it.

I prefer single issues even moreso when they are made with Image-like quality. No bar codes on the front of the book. Solid paper. No ads throughout the story. It just feels right to read a single issue book rather than a trade to me.

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Wow, you ignored the original question to bitch about terminology....

Brilliant.

Used to read single issues but i've switched to tpbs.

I want a bit of a time mover with multiple issues.

Digital everything now. Wait for sales, good price point, no effect on storage space.

For me, it's a bit of a mix that's in transition.

For new and current monthlies, I'm still buying physical copies. When it comes to previously published material; I'm buying a mix of trades and digital. I'm planning to buy a tablet for dedicated comics reading in the near future; so it's possible I'll end up moving even more toward the digital side to some degree. But for me, a larger principle is to support the on-going monthlies that I like. It can be physical or digital, but the important thing is to support them through buying them.

I do love the feel and the experience of the physical book; and at this point it's hard to see completely giving them up. I can still envision buying physical books for must-have stories. Right now I have 20+ long boxes stashed in a closet — and that's just the stuff I collected from 1993-2012 before my original LCS closed. I've just picked up reading again back in September; and I'm dreading having to face the challenge of physical storage space for the new stuff. So I do see digital comics as being a part of the solution in the long run — I'll just have to see what that mix becomes over time.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Digital everything now. Wait for sales, good price point, no effect on storage space.
    That is the best part of digital, Wait long long enough and you can get runs for dirt cheap.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Quote Originally Posted by Bslythegamerguy View Post
    Wow, you ignored the original question to bitch about terminology....

Brilliant.
    No, I voted on the poll, THEN I bitched about demeaning terminology. Didn't really feel a need to say anything more than that.

Some people are so insecure about their "floppies"...

Everything Marvel/DC I get in trade; they get enough customers to stay in print anyway. The rest I tend to get in floppies (heh), Boom/Archaia and Image produce nice quality ones. I'm starting to see the storage argument too though, I've filled up an entire bookcase by now. I just don't have a tablet computer, do things like ComiXology work on a regular pc? It's a weird line of reasoning but I'd much prefer to hold stuff I'm reading, whether on tablet or physical copy. And a tablet is way too high an initial investment, unfortunately.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

All digital and could not be happier.