Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raph84 View Post
    'White kids who all look the same.' That's kinda racist, dude.
    Not even close.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Dick, Romani, white-washed.

How can you white wash someone that's always been white?
    Last edited by The World; 03-09-2015 at 08:42 PM. Reason: You might be talking about Helena Wayne.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

I get the argument that art should say things about society but if this is how the book is marketed, I highly doubt that it will say something I don't fully expect it to. Right now, Son of Batman seems way more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Dick, Romani, white-washed.
    Jason, white.
    Tim, white.
    Stephanie, white, blonde and blue eyed. (*replaced an Asian character)
    Damian, Middle Eastern, frequently white-washed.
    Carrie, white.
    Helena, white.

Seven white or white-washed Robins in seventy-five years and this is racist? LOL, dude. OK.

(Not to imply that DC is racist for this necessarily, but it certainly reflects who writes these comics and who they are marketed to.)
    Dick was not whitewashed. He has always been white. Weird retcons don't change that. And you're talking about the whiteness of the Robins as if it's some kind of a sin. The truth is, there is nothing wrong with being white and having white characters. Implying that being white or letting characters be white makes you inherently racist is racist in itself.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

There's nothing wrong with being white but it'd be nice for DC to show more diversity in their line instead of just creating the same looking characters. Especially when the one mixed race Robin they have is just depicted as a WASP mini Bruce Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being white but it'd be nice for DC to show more diversity in their line instead of just creating the same looking characters. Especially when the one mixed race Robin they have is just depicted as a WASP mini Bruce Wayne
    Man, I'm surprised you're even letting that dreadfulness slide.

The argument that "hey, all the Robin's are either white or half-white, lets switch it up" equates to "stop hating white people" isn't worth bothering with. An exercise in entitlement and insecurity.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Man, I'm surprised you're even letting that dreadfulness slide.

The argument that "hey, all the Robin's are either white or half-white, lets switch it up" equates to "stop hating white people" isn't worth bothering with. An exercise in entitlement and insecurity.
    Yeah, don't understand how wanting more diversity means hating white people at all. It reminds me of the hard right conservatives that believe that Christianity and Christmas are under attack. This sort of thinking slows progress in comics.

People don't want old, existing characters to be race-bend. Fine. But then they also don't support creating new non-white heroes. Bizarre

Yeah, don't understand how wanting more diversity means hating white people at all. It reminds me of the hard right conservatives that believe that Christianity and Christmas are under attack. This sort of thinking slows progress in comics.

People don't want old, existing characters to be race-bend. Fine. But then they also don't support creating new non-white heroes. Bizarre
    No one's saying they don't want new non-white heroes. It's just the notion that having white characters is a bad thing that I find prejudiced. But in a politically correct culture I suppose insulting some people is okay if they look a certain way.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Is it really confirmed that Damian is from mixed race?

Because far as I can remember Ra's was supposed to be an european dude who found the pits while in the crusades.

I could have done without the implication that the Robin concept or character doesn't go beyond white teenagers that looks the same.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-09-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Is it really confirmed that Damian is from mixed race?

Because far as I can remember Ra's was supposed to be an european dude who found the pits while in the crusades.
    Talia is an Arab/Chinese mix

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    No one's saying they don't want new non-white heroes. It's just the notion that having white characters is a bad thing that I find prejudiced. But in a politically correct culture I suppose insulting some people is okay if they look a certain way.
    It's not bad but it's stuck 60 years ago. America is much more diverse now so DC should work on creating new minority heroes

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Talia is an Arab/Chinese mix
    Really?

Because on Incorporated Ra's met her mother at Woodstock isn't it?

And again, where is the source for Ra's ethnicity?

Dennis O' Neill had him mentioning working with Saint Dumas during the crusades (thus making him european) on the Azrael series.

Dennis O'Neil- Batman: Birth of the Demon

Ra's was born to a tribe of desert nomads in Arabia whose ancestors came to the area from China

We'll, I'm interested in duke Thomas,so I'm in.

BANNED

Sounds good. I will totally get this new We are Robin series. I hope there will be a turkish robin in it, that will make me a one happy fan if we have a turkish robin