Page 107 of 116 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 1731
    BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Jo Duffy!!!

Marvel Team-Up #125 Jan 1983
    "Cross Fire" Guest-starring Doctor Strange and the Scarlet Witch.
    A group of actors in Greenwich Village accidentally unleashes one of the fire beasts of Beliath while filming a movie.

Fortunately, the Master of the Mystic Arts lives close by and the Scarlet Witch shops in the village!

The avenger and the defender work together to contain the fire beast!

Script by Mary Jo Duffy http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....hday_jo_duffy/. Pencils by Kerry Gammill. Inks by Dan Green.

BANNED

currently is Strange still the most powerful sorcerer in the Marvel Universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    currently is Strange still the most powerful sorcerer in the Marvel Universe?
    Magic in sorcerer in the MU feels so inconsistent and worn down that I'm not sure how much meaning there is to being the most powerful sorcerer anymore.

Astonishing Member

.....And now the Preview Pages of DOCTOR STRANGE: DAMNATION #1, Courtesy of AdventuresInPoorTaste.Com

So, I've been somewhat enjoying Coates' run so far - so much better than the tripe Aaron spewed out, but despite this, there is still so much wrong with how Doc has been handled. Although I really liked the Sentry/Void angle, and the explanation given for Loki to be in the story as Sorceror Supreme, Doc has continued to be made to look like an incompetent fool. We are being led to believe that Doc was tricked into thinking he was participating in, won and then lost the Sorceror Supreme tournament? It was all an illusion? Give me a break. Secondly, if Loki never really officially usurped the title, then Doc never actually stopped being Supreme. Wouldn't he have realised this? Thirdly, with all the magic depleted in the world (possibly the worst plot device ever - and Loki doesn't seem very hampered by this) and Doc having had to scrounge around the world for magical artifacts and use a stupid axe fight with, all this time he had access to a spell that would imbue him with all the world's magic? And he wouldn't have thought himself to 'jump-start the dragon lines'? So, while the series has certainly improved, and Doc finally has his cloak back (how did he lose it, anyway?), I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the current writer of the week screws him over again and retcons pretty much everything that has been previously established. Please bring Rogern Stern back!

Quote Originally Posted by creedpatton View Post
    So, I've been somewhat enjoying Coates' run so far - so much better than the tripe Aaron spewed out, but despite this, there is still so much wrong with how Doc has been handled. Although I really liked the Sentry/Void angle, and the explanation given for Loki to be in the story as Sorceror Supreme, Doc has continued to be made to look like an incompetent fool. We are being led to believe that Doc was tricked into thinking he was participating in, won and then lost the Sorceror Supreme tournament? It was all an illusion? Give me a break. Secondly, if Loki never really officially usurped the title, then Doc never actually stopped being Supreme. Wouldn't he have realised this? Thirdly, with all the magic depleted in the world (possibly the worst plot device ever - and Loki doesn't seem very hampered by this) and Doc having had to scrounge around the world for magical artifacts and use a stupid axe fight with, all this time he had access to a spell that would imbue him with all the world's magic? And he wouldn't have thought himself to 'jump-start the dragon lines'? So, while the series has certainly improved, and Doc finally has his cloak back (how did he lose it, anyway?), I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the current writer of the week screws him over again and retcons pretty much everything that has been previously established. Please bring Rogern Stern back!
    Yeah, agreed. This run started really strongly but the conclusion was just baffling; basically every thread has just been wrapped up with almost ludicrous ease that kinda undermines all the issues so far.

I have absolutely no idea what Loki's motivation was for any of this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by creedpatton View Post
    Well, the current writer is Donny Cates, right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gridde View Post
    Yeah, agreed. This run started really strongly but the conclusion was just baffling; basically every thread has just been wrapped up with almost ludicrous ease that kinda undermines all the issues so far.

I have absolutely no idea what Loki's motivation was for any of this.
    Loki explains his motivation in the recent issue. He knows the kind of sh*t that's going to be going down and he knows the Earth and the universe will need a Sorcerer Supreme that is willing to do whatever it takes to win. Loki's deception forced Strange to dig deep and get ruthless.

I liked that this arc essentially undid Aaron's run and restored Strange's status quo but did so in a highly entertaining fashion and it wasn't until it was all over that you realized that it was an artful act of resetting the table so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I liked that this arc essentially undid Aaron's run and restored Strange's status quo but did so in a highly entertaining fashion and it wasn't until it was all over that you realized that it was an artful act of resetting the table so to speak.
    And now Aaron gets to write Strange again in Avengers .

Although thankfully he's just a temporary member.

Loki explains his motivation in the recent issue. He knows the kind of sh*t that's going to be going down and he knows the Earth and the universe will need a Sorcerer Supreme that is willing to do whatever it takes to win. Loki's deception forced Strange to dig deep and get ruthless.
    Although the issue also puts in language to suggest that maybe Loki is lying about that. A reader tends to think he is telling the truth because we know the events he lists are, in fact, coming up, but sometimes the best lies are done by telling the truth.

Still, being a magic-connected character, jump starting magic again would likely be to Loki's benefit anyway. Or maybe he really was just trying to be a hero.

Agreed that undoing Aaron's run can only be called A Good Thing and I am willing to forgive all sorts of plot holes as long as that is done. I am not thrilled that Aaron will be writing Doc again in Avengers, but since I won't be reading that book (because Aaron is writing it) maybe I won't be too disturbed.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Fantastic Member

Aaron will probably have a toddler become the SS, because heaven knows that he has no interest in Stephen Strange being SS.

Deep breath.

Enough negativity, the big hole that Aaron wrote isn't easy to get out of, and we will see what Cates does going forward. It wasn't neat, or pretty, but at least it is done. It is tiring that it always ends with Strange losing the one friend he has, or apprentice, because new writers never want to carry forth previous writers supporting cast.

Didn't know the good doctor was revisiting the Avengers, perhaps just as well, as I don't trust Aaron to do anything positive for Strange.

The next issue will be the telling one, because Cates has no baggage to deal with, other than angering an incredibly powerful superhero.

wow they made Doctor Strange really cocky in this new title. Was he always so cocky or are they just channeling him from the movie?
    The J-man

So I couldn't help myself: in preparation for DAMNATION, I purchased the first arc by Cates and was not let down. Really liked the characterization and tone; the art was gorgeous and that helps too

Also bought the first issue of DAMNATION today! Really great opening to the crossover, but of course I'm interested to see how Scarlet Spider ends up joining the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    wow they made Doctor Strange really cocky in this new title. Was he always so cocky or are they just channeling him from the movie?
    I mean, I feel like hubris has always been an issue for Strange, dating back to his origin. I haven't ready every back issue out there, but it seemed to be something he tends to struggle with.

-Pav, who wants an ongoing for this Midnight Sons team...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I know Aaron really started doubling-down on having him act Tony Stark-lite.

Does anyone else think that dr strange reads and looks constantine-lite? He has the hobo look and talks about how he always betrays his friends.