Page 1 of 116 123451151101 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Master of the Mystic Arts: Doctor Strange Appreciation

Long, long ago there was a young neurosurgeon named Stephen Vincent Strange, and he was about to make the big time. He had everything the world considers success -- talent, youth, wealth, looks -- but he had no heart. Then fate and his own carelessness caught up with him and stripped him of his career in a single moment. Suddenly, nothing he had was of any value; he deserted his colleagues, was deserted by his friends, and spent his entire fortune seeking a cure for his ruined hands. In desperation, he used the last of his resources to chase a scrap of hope -- the rumor of an Ancient One, far away in the mountains of Tibet, who could work miracles.

Doctor Strange found the old monk and demanded help, but the Ancient One could see that, underneath the wretchedness, he was just as uncaring as ever. He knew that Strange needed a change of heart more than he needed working hands, and offered to let him stay and learn from him. Strange, hurt and angry, called the ancient mystic a fraud and would have left at that moment except that a blizzard suddenly arose, preventing his escape. He was snowbound in the monastery with the Ancient One and his disciples, stewing in his own bitterness.

Then at last came the moment when he realized the Ancient One's most trusted disciple, Baron Mordo, was plotting to murder his master. Strange rushed to interfere, but Mordo turned dark magic on him to silence him. Faced all at once with the stunning knowledge that EVIL magic is very much real, Strange finally let his self interest go. He humbled himself before the Ancient One and asked to learn magic as well, hoping to save the old master from his deceptive disciple. Pleased to have reached Strange's heart at last, the Ancient One accepted him, freed him from Mordo's spell, and sent his former student away.

Since then, Strange has been fulfilling his silent vow to take a stand against dark magic. His adventures have taken him in and out of the hidden pockets of reality, from Eternity's domain to the throne room of the Dread Dormammu. He has primarily stood alone. He has suffered loneliness, anonymity, and a growing sense of isolation from the rest of the world, but his career has been filled with unexpected joys -- the undying loyalty of his assistant Wong, the respect of the superhero community, the turbulent friendship of the Defenders, and the love of many noble women, particularly Clea, heir to the Dark Dimension. He has allied with Doctor Doom. He has defeated Shuma-Gorath in his own dimension. He has argued with the Living Tribunal, faced down the Scarlet Witch, and ridden the winged horse Aragorn. In some cases he prevails by strength of arms, but in far more he succeeds by keeping calm, cleverly using what he has on hand, and never, EVER giving up.

All hail the master, Doctor Strange, ambassador of the mystic arts to the Marvel universe. May his star never fade.

This wonderful introduction was written by Dr. Strange fan extraordinaire, Chariset. Thank you!
    Last edited by Rheged; 05-03-2014 at 08:33 PM.

BANNED

BOOKS

Strange Tales (1951)
    Doctor Strange (1968)
    Doctor Strange (1974)
    Strange Tales (1987)
    Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme (1988)
    Doctor Strange (1999)

RECOMMENDED READING
    "A Separate Reality" (collects Marvel Premiere #9, 10, 12-14, and Doctor Strange #1, 2, 4, 5) Dr. Strange becomes Sorcerer Supreme by making the toughest choice of his life, Baron Mordo and confronting GOD(?) and his first battle with Silver Dagger. -- NightMage

COLLECTED EDITIONS

Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v1
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v2
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v3
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v4
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v5
    Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange v6

Essential Doctor Strange v1
    Essential Doctor Strange v2
    Essential Doctor Strange v3
    Essential Doctor Strange v4

Doctor Strange Vs Dracula

Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment

Doctor Strange: Into Shamballa (1986)

"A Separate Reality" (collects Marvel Premiere #9, 10, 12-14, and Doctor Strange #1, 2, 4, 5)

Doctor Strange: Strange Tales (1987 series)

Doctor Strange: Into the Dark Dimension

Doctor Strange: What Is It That Disturbs You Stephen?

Doctor Strange The Oath

Doctor Strange Season One

LINKS

Sanctum Sanctorum Comix

Neil Alien Doctor Strange Fansite

The Lesser Book of the Vishanti

COMICS 101 by Scott Tipton: Strange Days, Indeed 2-11-04 A selective history of Dr. Strange with plenty of pics.

A 'Respect' thread from ComicVine: http://www.comicvine.com/doctor-stra...thread-547971/

http://www.comicbookresources.com/tag/doctor+strange

Greatest Dr. Strange Stories Ever Told

Barbiere Embarks on a Strange Journey in "New Avengers Annual" #1 04/18/14

Andrew Wheeler's Original Sin Recap#1

Andrew Wheeler's Original Sin Recap#2
    Last edited by Rheged; 07-10-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Showing my support for the Sorcerer Supreme.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

And it's very much appreciated!

I'm re-posting these here, since they also include the good doctor, presumably amped up after selling his soul.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro

By Valerio Schiti

New Avengers #18. Are the Illuminati finally ready to invade some alternate earth and beat the crap out of whoever comes in her way?

It's weird, without the colors I find the page works a little better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    And it's very much appreciated!

I'm re-posting these here, since they also include the good doctor, presumably amped up after selling his soul.
    That's some nice art by Val.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's some nice art by Val.
    Sure is! It's kind of neat to see his art progress since Journey Into Mystery (which I loved also).

And the kind of sinister art for New Avengers Annual -- by Marco Rudy, I think.

And the kind of sinister art for New Avengers Annual -- by Marco Rudy, I think.
    I'm really looking forward to that annual. Frank Barbiere (the writer) wrote a few things in the opening arc of his Five Ghosts series for Image that seemed to be very much inspired by Doctor Strange. So, I'm hoping he's a fan and will craft a wonderful story.

I will probably pick that annual up too, despite dropping NA after issue 3. The art is beautiful and while I am not sure of Barbiere's praise of Bendis' Strange, I think I can overlook that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    I will probably pick that annual up too, despite dropping NA after issue 3. The art is beautiful and while I am not sure of Barbiere's praise of Bendis' Strange, I think I can overlook that.
    I'm sorry...what? I'm not hatin' on Bendis, but...

BANNED

It was in the CBR interview with Frank Barbiere on the New Avengers Annual. Lots of good info there, though I didn't find the Bendis comment reassuring, as I wasn't impressed by his portrayal of Strange.

CBR: What's your sense of Strange's current level of magical abilities and the way magic works in the Marvel Universe? Can you talk about how you'll approach it?

FB: We get a lot of fun action and I was a huge fan of [Brian] Bendis' second volume of "New Avengers," where every time Strange would cast a spell the name of it and the book it was from would be shown across the bottom of the panel. I really wanted to get a lot of that and show that Strange is at a whole new level so we have a really cool fight sequence in the meat of the issue where we see Strange on the Astral Plane using aggressive attack magic.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52181

BANNED

Hmm I did kinda like the Bendis thing of spell names. But that could be I am used to reading Manga and having characters shout their move names.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Hmm I did kinda like the Bendis thing of spell names. But that could be I am used to reading Manga and having characters shout their move names.
    I preferred when Strange chanted his rhymed spells. Bendis' scrawl of page numbers made Strange a chef teaching a cooking class out of a recipe book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    I'm really looking forward to that annual. Frank Barbiere (the writer) wrote a few things in the opening arc of his Five Ghosts series for Image that seemed to be very much inspired by Doctor Strange. So, I'm hoping he's a fan and will craft a wonderful story.
    I haven't read that, but I was intrigued by his interview (with one already stated exception) and Marco Rudy's art looks amazing!

I preferred when Strange chanted his rhymed spells. Bendis' scrawl of page numbers made Strange a chef teaching a cooking class out of a recipe book.
    Yeah, I prefer the old rhyme spells myself.

It was in the CBR interview with Frank Barbiere on the New Avengers Annual. Lots of good info there, though I didn't find the Bendis comment reassuring, as I wasn't impressed by his portrayal of Strange.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52181
    ^ My thoughts exactly. Thanks for reposting that link and the Rudy art. I probably will pick this up.

BANNED

Ah chanting would be better but I dont go that far back with Strange.

And yes the art does fit.