Page 10 of 116 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

I will be so sad if they cast Cumberbatch. To say that I am not a fan is a huge understatement.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    I will be so sad if they cast Cumberbatch. To say that I am not a fan is a huge understatement.
    You're not the only one who is not a fan of Benedict's, Clea. Of the two on the CBR list I'd go either Viggo (whom would surprise me if he says yes given his distaste for movies that rely heavily on FX) or Jared Leto.

Whom would you want as Stephen?
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Fantastic Member

I don't see Cumberbatch as Strange. In fact he is one of about 4 rumors I don't want. McDreamy, Mads (who would be a good Mordo, I think) and Tom Hardy. I would be okay with most others. If I am dreaming of my ideals, Jared would be at the top of the list. John Rhys Myers would also be there. I see Strange as having a more sleek martial artist build than an overly muscular one. The ability to look good with facial hair is also a must. Strong presence is a big thing as well. No matter where Strange is on his mystical journey we have to believe that he could be a Sorcerer Supreme.

I am trying not to think too much, because I don't want any doubts to decrease my enjoyment of Strange getting the treatment he deserves, I've waited decades, literally for this.

I am excited that there is a writer with a story for Strange in what sounds like an on going. With them talking about having a launch point I am thinking that this fall might finally give Strange a continous story after so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    I don't see Cumberbatch as Strange. In fact he is one of about 4 rumors I don't want. McDreamy, Mads (who would be a good Mordo, I think) and Tom Hardy. I would be okay with most others. If I am dreaming of my ideals, Jared would be at the top of the list. John Rhys Myers would also be there. I see Strange as having a more sleek martial artist build than an overly muscular one. The ability to look good with facial hair is also a must. Strong presence is a big thing as well. No matter where Strange is on his mystical journey we have to believe that he could be a Sorcerer Supreme.

I am trying not to think too much, because I don't want any doubts to decrease my enjoyment of Strange getting the treatment he deserves, I've waited decades, literally for this.

I am excited that there is a writer with a story for Strange in what sounds like an on going. With them talking about having a launch point I am thinking that this fall might finally give Strange a continous story after so long.
    Valid points all the way around for the MCU Strange. Given the two choices supposively testing now, I hope it's Hardy.

Regarding the potential Strange ongoing, I'm thinking next year (perhaps the 3rd wave of Marvel NOW), that will give the creative team time to start working. And too for the dust to clear as a result of Original Sin.

Ultimate Member

Hardy fits Strange even less than Cumberbatch does.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    You're not the only one who is not a fan of Benedict's, Clea. Of the two on the CBR list I'd go either Viggo (whom would surprise me if he says yes given his distaste for movies that rely heavily on FX) or Jared Leto.

Viggo was another choice I would've wanted since those rumors came about. I was sad that nothing came of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Viggo was another choice I would've wanted since those rumors came about. I was sad that nothing came of it.
    Yeah, I loved the idea of Viggo initially. He's a fantastic actor who would give Doc a lot of depth and compassion, and he can go the other way too. Languages aren't a problem either. But recent interviews show Mortensen disappointed in how FX driven the Tolkien films have become, so I suspect he would not be interested.

I am surprised Marvel is not considering Richard Armitage...

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post

Easier to say who I wouldn't cast: Depp, Cumberbatch, Brody, Hardy, Fehr... Most of the names that I see a lot of buzz about. I used to wonder if Jim Caviezel from POI might be a good choice but I don't think so anymore.

If I cast slightly young (mid-30s), Matt Bomer, Luke Evans, Bradley Cooper
    If I cast only for looks (because I no idea if this guy can act): David Gandy
    If I cast age appropriate (mid-40s): Jon Hamm, Richard Armitage, Patrick Dempsey, Justin Theroux, maybe Nikolaj Coster-Waldau from Game of Thrones.

I almost hope they cast a virtual unknown so that everyone will be surprised. So far I think that they've made excellent casting choices for the Marvel films so I'm hopeful that I'll like whoever they pick for Strange. I hope they include Clea and Wong in the cast. If they don't, I fear that Clea will fade back into character limbo again permanently.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Pleeeeeeease, just keep Jared Leto and Benedict Cumberbatch out of this movie. Not sure who my vote would be but it's not them.

Invincible Member

I almost hope they cast a virtual unknown so that everyone will be surprised. So far I think that they've made excellent casting choices for the Marvel films so I'm hopeful that I'll like whoever they pick for Strange. I hope they include Clea and Wong in the cast. If they don't, I fear that Clea will fade back into character limbo again permanently.
    This is kinda how I feel. A lesser known talent that can really make the role his own.

Easier to say who I wouldn't cast: Depp, Cumberbatch, Brody, Hardy, Fehr... Most of the names that I see a lot of buzz about. I used to wonder if Jim Caviezel from POI might be a good choice but I don't think so anymore.

If I cast age appropriate (mid-40s): Jon Hamm, Richard Armitage, Patrick Dempsey, Justin Theroux, maybe Nikolaj Coster-Waldau from Game of Thrones.

However, this would run counter to earlier rumors that they want the Stephen Strange character to anchor the next phases of the MCU the way Tony Stark did the earlier films, and the actor to be the type of draw that RDJ is. If that is Marvel Studios goal, there's no way they are casting an unknown in the role as whomever they choose will have to have some kind of built in box office draw.

-M

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by heiro5 View Post
    Given how producer-driven the Marvel movies are, I would focus less on the director himself (although I saw the commercial for his upcoming movie last night and it looked credible) and mostly take from this that Marvel is going for more of a horror tone with the Dr Strange movie. I think it's cool news.
    Good point, but I think Strange is going to require a bit more from a director than the other Marvel movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I love Hardy and Cumberbatch, but I'm not sure either fits Strange. Though, the later more than Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I love Viggo too, but he may be too old now, and he tends to mumble a bit, which is not good for Strange.

I wouldn't cast any of those guys either, except Johnny Depp... if they can restrain him. Jim Caviezel is a possibility too. Have to say no on the model.

LUKE EVANS gets my vote.

Jon Hamm and Richard Armitage work for me from your 'age appropriate' list. Definitely NO to Dempsey, though. And I think they are going to have to get an experienced actor. I think Chris Hemsworth is the only 'unknown' Marvel has cast and he came with Joss Whedon's approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Good point, but I think Strange is going to require a bit more from a director than the other Marvel movies.

LUKE EVANS gets my vote.

Jon Hamm and Richard Armitage work for me from your 'age appropriate' list. Definitely NO to Dempsey, though. And I think they are going to have to get an experienced actor. I think Chris Hemsworth is the only 'unknown' Marvel has cast and he came with Joss Whedon's approval.
    LOL... so many interesting choices. Politely shows Oded, Jared, Viggo, Benedict and Tom the door for:

LUKE EVANS...

I completely spaced on Luke (note to self - he's playing vlad the impaler this later this year...)...

Ahem, I think he's a terrific Bard (and Girion) in The Hobbit and I've liked him in other things too. Plus he kind of looks like Stephen and he can make the facial hair work (unlike a lot of the men mentioned.

Excellent call, Rheged.

Oh, wow. I can totally see Jon Hamm in this role. That would be great!

Also, I got around to reading the first issue of The Oath yesterday. (I know, it took me a while.) Has there ever been another instance of Strange talking to someone while in astral form?

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    However, this would run counter to earlier rumors that they want the Stephen Strange character to anchor the next phases of the MCU the way Tony Stark did the earlier films, and the actor to be the type of draw that RDJ is. If that is Marvel Studios goal, there's no way they are casting an unknown in the role as whomever they choose will have to have some kind of built in box office draw.

-M
    Maybe. How many people had ever heard of Tom Hiddleston before the Thor movie? Now Hiddleston is fandom's darling and Loki is a hot property in both the movies and comics. Marvel could strike gold again if they cast Strange correctly (and write him well, needless to say).
    Live Faust, Die Jung.