Page 103 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1731

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    A new trailer has been released yesterday for Thor: Ragnarok, and it features the scene with Doctor Strange:

Sounds like Stephen is starting to grow into his role as Dr. Strange (even if he's still not the Sorcerer Supreme yet).

With Loki getting the title of Sorcerer Supreme in #381, what do you think will happen with the Doctor Strange series?

It's not the first time Strange loses the title, it happened at least 2 times before, once after Infinity War (When Strange refuses to fight in the War of Seven Spheres, he loses the right to invoke their power and somehow loses his title of Sorcerer Supreme) and another time during Secret Invasion/New Avengers: The Trust/Search for the Sorcerer Supreme (2008-2009) only to get his title back in 2012. At that time, he wasn't appearing in his own title, but in New Avengers only, with a miniseries surrounding that event (Strange vol. 2 #1-4 - Doctor is Out!). But now, do you think his Doctor Strange series will be cancelled? It would be nonsense just after the renumbering. If he loses the title but keep his comic series, what will be his purpose?

I somehow hope that he'll be involved in smaller storylines, and kind of wish that he could be similar to Constantine from the 2005 movie. I think he could be recycled into an investigator of the mystical/paranormal and help solves crimes involving ritualistic schemes. Obviously, I want him to regain and embrace his title of Sorcerer Supreme one day, but in the meantime, that would be a nice change.
    Last edited by Morsoth; 08-30-2017 at 09:03 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    With Loki getting the title of Sorcerer Supreme in #381, what do you think will happen with the Doctor Strange series?

It's not the first time Strange loses the title, it happened at least 2 times before, once after Infinity War (When Strange refuses to fight in the War of Seven Spheres, he loses the right to invoke their power and somehow loses his title of Sorcerer Supreme) and another time during Secret Invasion/New Avengers: The Trust/Search for the Sorcerer Supreme (2008-2009) only to get his title back in 2012. At that time, he wasn't appearing in his own title, but in New Avengers only, with a miniseries surrounding that event (Strange vol. 2 #1-4 - Doctor is Out!). But now, do you think his Doctor Strange series will be cancelled? It would be nonsense just after the renumbering. If he loses the title but keep his comic series, what will be his purpose?

I somehow hope that he'll be involved in smaller storylines, and kind of wish that he could be similar to Constantine from the 2005 movie. I think he could be recycled into an investigator of the mystical/paranormal and help solves crimes involving ritualistic schemes. Obviously, I want him to regain and embrace his title of Sorcerer Supreme one day, but in the meantime, that would be a nice change.
    If I wanted Occult Detective stories I'd just read Hellstrom, not Doctor Strange. Although I wouldn't be against him becoming more of a Lovecraftian protagonist, if we're gonna be stuck with the current power-level. His recent downgrade is just a result of Marvel's writers not being imaginative or skilled enough to come up with high-end stories. I do kinda trust Cates though, so we'll see what he has in store for us. Honestly, I just wish someone would start writting him like a 50 YO Doctor and not a poor man's RDJ.

All-New Member

Default A being so powerful, it's hard to write?

Sure, maybe? I hear that a lot. But they sure made it easy in the 70's and 80's where they made this happen gloriously month after month, year after year. And who can forget the AMAZING storyline of "depowering" from the 80's with Strange destroying all his mystic artifacts in a battle with Urthona, descending into black magic, and then clawing his way back up? Sigh. I miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    To have Dr. Strange BE Sorcerer Supreme, his writers have to be able to deal with a being so powerful ordinary super-powers (y'know, just to coin an oxymoron) don't even blip his radar: his position is to defend against situations far beyond the ordinary. And, honestly, that is hard to write, month after month.

All-New Member

You don't like the axe?

Doctor Strange #25
    EXTRA-SIZED 25TH ISSUE!
    • Comic art legend KEVIN NOWLAN joins John Barber (DOCTOR STRANGE/PUNISHER) for an incredibly special anniversary issue!
    • A mysterious foe that Strange BARELY defeated in his past comes back to haunt Strange's present and finds him MUCH weaker. Uh-oh!
    Rated T+
    What should have been a SPECIAL 25th issue, it ended up being an absolutely average filler story. No mention of S.E. and Darkforce Bubble being done was annoying as hell and having an ax he will/should not use continues to be silly characterization crutch. If The Haunted Girl is NOT throwaway and is revisited, ASAP, then this 'origin' issue might be considered a little bit special - but it surely wasn't worth the extra dollar. Now if Marvel had thrown in those few extra pages for free then THAT would have been special.

Pointless poser cover choice.
    25_medium.jpg

Magick is Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by RyszardWithAZ View Post
    Sure, maybe? I hear that a lot. But they sure made it easy in the 70's and 80's where they made this happen gloriously month after month, year after year. And who can forget the AMAZING storyline of "depowering" from the 80's with Strange destroying all his mystic artifacts in a battle with Urthona, descending into black magic, and then clawing his way back up? Sigh. I miss that.
    Does Mr. Levin realize that he just insulted everyone of today's writers with that? Might be spot-on or it might not; I'm sure there's someone out there who can and has written Strange at his most powerful (*cough*FlightOfBones*cough*) and yet still being a step behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    What should have been a SPECIAL 25th issue, it ended up being an absolutely average filler story. No mention of S.E. and Darkforce Bubble being done was annoying as hell and having an ax he will/should not use continues to be silly characterization crutch. If The Haunted Girl is NOT throwaway and is revisited, ASAP, then this 'origin' issue might be considered a little bit special - but it surely wasn't worth the extra dollar. Now if Marvel had thrown in those few extra pages for free then THAT would have been special.

Pointless poser cover choice.
    25_medium.jpg
    I thought it was OK, not great, but OK.

I think the Kevin Nowlan cover (which I actually like myself.) has been floating around for a while. Possibly waiting for an issue that contains Dr Strange's original costume. If only in flashback. I loved Mr Nowlan's work way back in the day. Not so sure about much of his recent stuff which looks more in tune with Hellboy than Dr Strange. A matter of taste I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by RyszardWithAZ View Post
    You don't like the axe?
    Who likes the axe? Anyone?

It would be interesting to know the percentage. I can't stand it myself.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

De-powered Doc: yeah, NightMage, I think it's because those who've been writing for him in the past, oh, ten years, really haven't, in general, in the main, been up to the task of writing for the character. It's the same situation regarding so-called "genius" characters: to write them thoughtfully, one must be at LEAST as smart as the character is meant to be, "genius" level, a genuinely deep, clever thinker, and there are few of those around, and of them, few writing for comic books. I just saying I've read Doc Strange for a very long time, and the character as portrayed in the past several iterations is not the one I used to enjoy. Those who do so now, well, hell--enjoy!

And in line with this, yeah, ax the axe.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Fantastic Member

I can see, sort of, the need to use relics , but why only an ax. I think the writers are too busy thinking of ways to contain Doctor Strange's historical level of power, to think up clever ways to have it make sense as well. Doctor Strange was a surgeon, he isn't a bludgeoner. He used finesse in magic, just as he did in surgery. I think the writers think using an ax is macho. I think using your brains is very sexy and manly.

I was deeply saddened that issue 25 brought back the &^%&^%^&%^& bleepity bleep eating of eyeballs for magic users only in Strange's book. I liked the art in the present time, not so much the one who drew Strange in the past.

I think Hickman's writing of Strange as being arrogant is the way all current writers perceive Strange. People who read the books in the past would know that isn't true. Strange could be on his deathbed, and have a friend come to his door for help and find a way to get up. He was totally dedicated to protecting this world. If anything, his greatest flaw is he insulated himself so much, and was lonely. The line in issue 25 where the old him would never say he was wrong particularly irritated me. "Curse me for a novice!" Yep, that is a line that someone who thought they were always right would say.

Suffice it to say, Ax the Axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    I can see, sort of, the need to use relics , but why only an ax. I think the writers are too busy thinking of ways to contain Doctor Strange's historical level of power, to think up clever ways to have it make sense as well. Doctor Strange was a surgeon, he isn't a bludgeoner. He used finesse in magic, just as he did in surgery. I think the writers think using an ax is macho. I think using your brains is very sexy and manly.

I was deeply saddened that issue 25 brought back the &^%&^%^&%^& bleepity bleep eating of eyeballs for magic users only in Strange's book. I liked the art in the present time, not so much the one who drew Strange in the past.

I think Hickman's writing of Strange as being arrogant is the way all current writers perceive Strange. People who read the books in the past would know that isn't true. Strange could be on his deathbed, and have a friend come to his door for help and find a way to get up. He was totally dedicated to protecting this world. If anything, his greatest flaw is he insulated himself so much, and was lonely. The line in issue 25 where the old him would never say he was wrong particularly irritated me. "Curse me for a novice!" Yep, that is a line that someone who thought they were always right would say.

I was rereading the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen yesterday and the character Orlando had a short glowing Celtic sword and I thought that's more what Strange should be wielding. An axe belongs to the bash the monsters world of the Grim or Angel from Buffy the Vampire slayer.

Argh! The food! I was hoping we'd forget about that.

A well made point.

Ax the Axe!

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post

Spot on. I’ve been a Strange fan since the 70s, but fell out of comics for several years. I started picking up New Avengers a few years ago just because the Doc was in it. I barely recognized the character. What happened to the nobility, the hard-won diminished ego?

I’m not crazy about the current Strange, but hey, it’s a Doctor Strange book, so I’ll buy it.

Astonishing Member

BION, Doctor Strange is seen within the Following Preview Pages for A-N GOTG #12.

All-New Member

Default A new poster

Very new member. This is my very first post.

I miss the old days Dr Strange and his cloak. The only change I like about his costume is it's not that the collars are not too high anymore.

Some people said that Stephen is reincarnation of Agamotto but I've never read that theory any "Dr Strange" comic. Is that only a fan theory?
    Last edited by lita; 10-20-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Forget something