Page 108 of 116 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1731
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    wow they made Doctor Strange really cocky in this new title. Was he always so cocky or are they just channeling him from the movie?
    I'd argue that the movie version was more mature than Aaron's. But yeah, Stephen being a snarky womanizer is a relatively new thing. You got a little bit of it in Matt Fraction's Doc, but Jason really hammered it home.

Spectacular Member

Also posted this on the Fresh Start thread

About the new Dr.Strange by Mark Waid

This is the only “Fresh Start” title that so far I think is a bit of a mismatch. It doesn’t help that this reminded me TOO much of Mark Waid’s Hulk run (Banner as an agent of SHIELD,etc) that really doesn’t click with me storywise. Still…Strange in space does provide a chance to see alien race’s magic user such as the Dire Wraith and maybe the Skrull? We may also see Shiar and Kree magic as well. Maybe Waid will surprise me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nitake92 View Post

This is the only “Fresh Start” title that so far I think is a bit of a mismatch. It doesn’t help that this reminded me TOO much of Mark Waid’s Hulk run (Banner as an agent of SHIELD,etc) that really doesn’t click with me storywise. Still…Strange in space does provide a chance to see alien race’s magic user such as the Dire Wraith and maybe the Skrull? We may also see Shiar and Kree magic as well. Maybe Waid will surprise me.
    I love the in space idea

It's the power Loss I'm already board of

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I love the in space idea

It's the power Loss I'm already board of
    True.
    There's a very thin line between 'space cosmic' and 'mystical cosmic' and it could be a fascinating chance to explore that.
    Like a deep metaphysical tale that rivals Starlin's Warlock.
    IF it were the real Doctor Strange, and not a Buck Rogers clone, complete with a bubble helmet.

Dr. Strange taps into three sources of energy: personal, universal and dimensional. The Earth energies fall under 'universal'. Other planets would also fall under 'universal', with the difference likely being that Earth energy tastes like Coke and Mars (or whatever other planet Doc is on) tastes like Pepsi.

I'm afraid that this 'Dr. Strange in Space' story is just going to add unnecessary baggage that will further ignore what's been established. Adding to Aaron's 'price of magic' and 'can't eat normal food', both of which need to be eradicated ASAP.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    Does anyone else think that dr strange reads and looks constantine-lite? He has the hobo look and talks about how he always betrays his friends.
    Didn't think of that, but I don't particularly care for writer's doing that. Of course, I don't care for Hobo Strange, either. Neither is Dr. Strange.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nitake92 View Post

This just smacks of desperation and movie crap. Strange in Space. Really? And I can understand why Marvel is desperate, considering how they've systematically trashed the character for his long time fans. I'll have to dig out that Waid mini, but I haven't been impressed by anything he's done for Marvel in the last decade.

I really do like Saiz's art, but I'm not sure it's the right fit for Dr. Strange.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I am looking forward to Waid's run on Strange, even with the depowering again fiasco. I was wanting to get some opinions on recent runs of the good doctor. I really did not enjoy Aaron's run, does it get better? I somehow got through vol. 2 and didn't really like it.
    I am enjoying Fraction's Defenders that features Strange and look to finish that run. What are your thoughts on Donny Cates run? Any other recommendations?

I came here as I wanted to ask the Doctor Strange experts here. Was arrogance always a problem for Steve like it is for Tony or is this something new?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

The origin story has always had him be an arrogant surgeon and, when he first meets the Ancient One he arrogantly rejects him. The origin story includes him learning to reject his arrogant ways and becoming a disciple of the Ancient One.

But then we started having a sequence of writers and a new writer would come on board, glance at the origin quickly, and think "I know let's make him have continue to struggle with arrogance as a master of the mystic arts, and at the end of the storyline he will have learned humility." And then that writer leaves and a new one comes on board, glances at the origin, and thinks "I know let's make him have continue to struggle with arrogance as a master of the mystic arts, and at the end of the storyline he will have learned humility." And then that writer leaves and a new writer comes on board, glances at the origin, and thinks:"I know let's make him have continue to struggle with arrogance as the Sorcerer Supreme (because he has outgrown master of the mystic arts), and at the end of the storyline he will have learned humility." And then that writer leaves and a new writer comes on board, glances at the origin....etc. etc. etc. repeat ad nauseam.

Yeah, it has always been a problem, but only because each subsequent writer refuses to build on what a prior writer has done but, instead, keeps going back to the origin well and rehashes the same basic plot. In other words, it isn't so much a "character flaw" as a "writer flaw."
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    The origin story has always had him be an arrogant surgeon and, when he first meets the Ancient One he arrogantly rejects him. The origin story includes him learning to reject his arrogant ways and becoming a disciple of the Ancient One.

But then we started having a sequence of writers and a new writer would come on board, glance at the origin quickly, and think "I know let's make him have continue to struggle with arrogance as a master of the mystic arts, and at the end of the storyline he will have learned humility." And then that writer leaves and a new one comes on board, glances at the origin, and thinks "I know let's make him have continue to struggle with arrogance as a master of the mystic arts, and at the end of the storyline he will have learned humility." And then that writer leaves and a new writer comes on board, glances at the origin, and thinks:"I know let's make him have continue to struggle with arrogance as the Sorcerer Supreme (because he has outgrown master of the mystic arts), and at the end of the storyline he will have learned humility." And then that writer leaves and a new writer comes on board, glances at the origin....etc. etc. etc. repeat ad nauseam.

Yeah, it has always been a problem, but only because each subsequent writer refuses to build on what a prior writer has done but, instead, keeps going back to the origin well and rehashes the same basic plot. In other words, it isn't so much a "character flaw" as a "writer flaw."
    Thank you for your well thought out answer. It's appreciated.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post

I'm not in love with MCU Strange but even I think we can probably count on him never going back to the guy he was at the start of the movie moving forward.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

" it isn't so much a "character flaw" as a "writer flaw."
    Amen to that.
    Sadly I haven't enjoyed a Dr. Strange story in close to a decade.
    I'll give the new series a few issues' chance, but at this point, I'm pretty cynical.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Can someone provide context on this scan please? Were Dr. Strange's mystical abilities at full strength/power? Or were his abilities weakened at that point, and if so, what was the reason behind it?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman