Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Issue 9 preview:
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...tor-strange-9/

Immortal Hulk: Best Defense preview:
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...est-defense-1/

spoilers:
    Stephen's apparently been incinerated!
    end of spoilers
    Well, that is a big monkey wrench for Doctor Strange.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Issue 9 preview:
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...tor-strange-9/

Immortal Hulk: Best Defense preview:
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...est-defense-1/

spoilers:
    Stephen's apparently been incinerated!
    end of spoilers
    Bruce calling Stephen "Steve" feels weird.

Mighty Member

Marvel TIL real estate developers are in league with hell and Mephisto.

Neil Parker

Hi! I have one question: what other storyline, besides "The Oath", would you suggest me to start with Dr. Strange? I like old and new stuff, I've recently read Spider-Man by Lee and Ditko. I don't know if that could be a good start for Dr. Strange. Or maybe the Jason Aaron's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Parker View Post
    Hi! I have one question: what other storyline, besides "The Oath", would you suggest me to start with Dr. Strange? I like old and new stuff, I've recently read Spider-Man by Lee and Ditko. I don't know if that could be a good start for Dr. Strange. Or maybe the Jason Aaron's stuff.
    Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment

Spider-Man: Fever is an excellent story featuring both Spidey and Strange.

Also, the short, recent run by Cates ended with a Strange-Spidey issue that might be one of the most enjoyable single issues I've ever read.

-Pav, who likes their team-ups...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Neil Parker

Thank you both. Think I'll go with the recent run by Cates and Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment.

BANNED

Gotta give a shout out to today's issue.

Waid's been killing it on this run but today's one and done that explains Stephen's attachment to his Bleeker Street residence was especially good.

There's a doozy of a cliffhanger that leads into next month's anniversary issue but other than that, this is a tight, self-contained issue that nails the coolness of Strange and is graced with the impeccable art of Jesus Saiz. Big thumbs up!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I'd avoid Jason Aaron's run like the plague.

I didn't think Cates run was particularly memorable, but I'm old school. Englehart and Brunner, all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment
    I second this recommendation.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-05-2018 at 07:27 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

The Ditko/Lee run on Strange Tales 110-146 (which is what the omnibus contains I believe) is still by far my favorite Strange run.

The Englehart/Brunner stuff (collected in one of the Epic collections) would be my second favorite run, and Triumph and Torment third. But yeah, nothing beats the original Ditko stuff for me.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'd avoid Jason Aaron's run like the plague.
    Agreed. It was the worst take on Dr Strange I can remember and just bad writing in general.

Roger Stern's run on the Doctor is legendary for a reason (#46, April 1981 to #75, February 1986) and Peter B Gillis's run in Strange Tales (1987) is a weakened Strange done well.

Dr Strange Sorcerer Supreme by Roy Thomas is very good as well. The killed it when they forced the Midnight Sons crossover/event into the book, though.
    Last edited by Donald; 12-06-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    Sounds perfect.

I've just read the Doctor Strange: The Best Defense one shot and wow it was an amazing issue. If you're a fan of the Ditko's run (especially the psychedelic visuals) there is one splash page that will make you happy, Greg Smallwood really did a fantastic job in this issue

I'm not currently reading the Mark Waid's run so I don't know if it's good or not but I wouldn't mind seeing Gerry Duggan/Greg Smallwood on a Doctor Strange mini or ongoing one day!

So yeah highly recommended

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm very glad to hear that, Hush. I picked up the Best Defense issue, but haven't yet read it.
    I've been reading Mark Waid's series and so far it's pretty much looked prettier to me (and it HAS looked pretty!) than it's read BUT--
    I just read Doc #9 (last week's issue? most recent, anyway) and this, this was really fine. Integration of story and illustration was very well blended, and the story itself, touching on, lightly, lightly, a 'social issue' (gentrification of old neighborhoods), was handled in a very smooth way, almost off-hand, but clear and concise. And it still looks very, very nice.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Gotta give a shout out to today's issue.

Waid's been killing it on this run but today's one and done that explains Stephen's attachment to his Bleeker Street residence was especially good.

There's a doozy of a cliffhanger that leads into next month's anniversary issue but other than that, this is a tight, self-contained issue that nails the coolness of Strange and is graced with the impeccable art of Jesus Saiz. Big thumbs up!

What is doc's explanation for the sanctum sanctorum's location? Was it "always" there?

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I'm very glad to hear that, Hush. I picked up the Best Defense issue, but haven't yet read it.
    I've been reading Mark Waid's series and so far it's pretty much looked prettier to me (and it HAS looked pretty!) than it's read BUT--
    I just read Doc #9 (last week's issue? most recent, anyway) and this, this was really fine. Integration of story and illustration was very well blended, and the story itself, touching on, lightly, lightly, a 'social issue' (gentrification of old neighborhoods), was handled in a very smooth way, almost off-hand, but clear and concise. And it still looks very, very nice.
    Yeah I was really impressed by this one shot, I hope you'll enjoy this issue too!

Thank you for the info about the Waid's run, what you've said about issue #9 sounds really interesting, it definitely piqued my curiosity! Regarding the art I'm not surprised, if Jesus Saiz's art is as good as on Captain America and Avengers, the series should look incredible

I will give the series a try soon!
    Last edited by Hush; 12-13-2018 at 11:03 AM.