Page 12 of 116 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Agreed, in his own comic Strange is a one woman man. I think writers thought a way to spice him up to attract more of an audience is to have him be a playboy, but that doesn't work for a person who is supposed to be centered to be at his optimal power.

I kind of hope they do break Strange and Clea up, if he gets his own book. So they can show them trying to move on, but then each being drawn back to the other. Plus deal with the difficulties of their positions. Strange's priority will always be this dimension, and it should be. Clea is rightful Queen of her dimension, and it should always be her priority. Both characters have strong enough personalities to deal with these priorities and find a way to make a relationship work. A nice courtship is what would be nice, they've been together for a long time, but things have happened, like the War of the Seven Spheres. Clea being ousted from her dimension. I would like to see both those stories explored. The impact it would have on you.

I never liked it when Clea was the damsel in distress. I kind of liked it when she was there to help Strange as an ally, not a liability. This couple, to me, more than others, has the greatest ability to be actual equals without diminishing the other, in the hands of a good writer.

Wishing big.

BANNED

We can only hope
    Also some Strange and Fate

http://darrenrawlings.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    Agreed, in his own comic Strange is a one woman man. I think writers thought a way to spice him up to attract more of an audience is to have him be a playboy, but that doesn't work for a person who is supposed to be centered to be at his optimal power.

I kind of hope they do break Strange and Clea up, if he gets his own book. So they can show them trying to move on, but then each being drawn back to the other. Plus deal with the difficulties of their positions. Strange's priority will always be this dimension, and it should be. Clea is rightful Queen of her dimension, and it should always be her priority. Both characters have strong enough personalities to deal with these priorities and find a way to make a relationship work. A nice courtship is what would be nice, they've been together for a long time, but things have happened, like the War of the Seven Spheres. Clea being ousted from her dimension. I would like to see both those stories explored. The impact it would have on you.

I never liked it when Clea was the damsel in distress. I kind of liked it when she was there to help Strange as an ally, not a liability. This couple, to me, more than others, has the greatest ability to be actual equals without diminishing the other, in the hands of a good writer.

Wishing big.
    I never liked 'damsel in distress' Clea either. That was already a cliche even back when they introduced Clea in the 60s. She was written unevenly over the years but taken as a whole you can see how she honed her skills, reclaimed her heritage and destiny and ultimately ousted her evil mother and uncle and became ruler and Sorceress Supreme of her own dimension, which parallels well with Strange being Sorcerer Supreme of the Earth dimension. I like them as a long distance couple who see each other when they can. I suppose Marvel could break them up only to have them eventually get back together again which would give all the new readers a chance to get reintroduced to this relationship and then old and new readers alike could be happy to see them become a couple again.

Or, you know, not. Like I said above, Marvel seems to dislike couples these days. My biggest fear is that they'll simply erase Clea from the current MU. There were numerous stories in the last few years that involved the Dark Dimension or major Dark Dimension characters like Umar and Dormammu in which Clea wasn't even mentioned, even by Strange himself. I honestly thought at that point that Marvel was going to drop her entirely and count on the fact that most readers who only knew Strange via the Bendis New Avengers never even heard of her. I was glad to see her return in Fearless Defenders even with that perplexing 'I want a divorce' scene. Time will tell whether they'll use her in the eventual new solo book and/or movie. I agree with you, Strangefan, that these two characters enhance each other as a couple, and don't diminish each other.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Per IMDB, the screenwriters for the Doctor Strange movie are Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer. Anyone know if they are confirmed as the writers for the Dr. Strange film or if this is just a rumor? The reviews for their films are underwhelming.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Yes, Strange was/is married to Clea. That scene in Fearless Defenders showing Clea returning to earth only to find Strange sleezing around with a group of young women absolutely baffles me because it was utterly out of character for Strange, IMO. Regardless, in Fearless Defenders Clea was so put off by discovering that Strange was cheating on her like this that she told him that she wants a divorce.
    I was hoping that it was a case of mistaken identity. Like that time Dormammu took over his body.

But even without that, didn't he sleep with Night Nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    I was hoping that it was a case of mistaken identity. Like that time Dormammu took over his body.

Yes, Strange was sleeping with Night Nurse for a while. He was still married to Clea at the time.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post

I have not the Fearless Defenders issue in question. But I wonder if maybe the writer ( Bunn?) was following what Fraction did in his Defenders run? Doc had a one night stand with a co-ed and brought and old girlfriend back to life. But at least it was acknowledged in story that these were creepy things to do.

At least with Night Nurse in New Avengers, it was presented as they were in a relationship.

BANNED

Has Strange ever fought Mysterio? If not I would love to see it written maybe in an "Untold tales of Doctor Strange" style story
    writings by Roger Stern. Of course Strange would win but seeing the dynamics of Illusionists vs a true Sorcerer is guaranteed some
    interesting visuals from the artist. With Nightmare to increase Beck's illusions without his knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I have not the Fearless Defenders issue in question. But I wonder if maybe the writer ( Bunn?) was following what Fraction did in his Defenders run? Doc had a one night stand with a co-ed and brought and old girlfriend back to life. But at least it was acknowledged in story that these were creepy things to do.

At least with Night Nurse in New Avengers, it was presented as they were in a relationship.
    I liked Night Nurse (Linda Carter) in The Oath. If Clea was no longer in his life, I could easily see Strange with Linda, at least for a while. I don't see it working out long term though, because Strange's primary focus in his life would always be his role as Sorcerer Supreme. He angsted about that for a long time in his previous solo books while he was with Clea. Eventually they seemed to reach an accord in which they had a happy, long distance relationship. Each knew that the other had a higher duty to protect their respective dimensions, and this duty took precedence over being together.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Has Strange ever fought Mysterio? If not I would love to see it written maybe in an "Untold tales of Doctor Strange" style story
    writings by Roger Stern. Of course Strange would win but seeing the dynamics of Illusionists vs a true Sorcerer is guaranteed some
    interesting visuals from the artist. With Nightmare to increase Beck's illusions without his knowledge.
    I can't recall any stories with Strange fighting Mysterio. If I recall the story in the Dead Girl series, Mysterio was one of the baddies in the books but he only tangled with Wong, not with Strange himself. My comics are all boxed up right now or I'd dig out the books to double-check.
    Last edited by Clea; 06-13-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Per IMDB, the screenwriters for the Doctor Strange movie are Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer. Anyone know if they are confirmed as the writers for the Dr. Strange film or if this is just a rumor? The reviews for their films are underwhelming.
    Looking at the films they've worked on, they aren't filling me with much confidence. The only one I've even remotely liked was Dylan Dog: Dead of Night, and even that wasn't exactly mindblowing. I can only hope that they pull a better effort with Strange, if true.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Looking at the films they've worked on, they aren't filling me with much confidence. The only one I've even remotely liked was Dylan Dog: Dead of Night, and even that wasn't exactly mindblowing. I can only hope that they pull a better effort with Strange, if true.
    Ouch, they wrote the Dylan Dog: Dead of Night script?*

Then again, I had serious issues with parts of Stephen McFeely and Christopher Markus' Captain America The First Avenger and they did a complete 360 with Captain America The Winter Soldier. I agree with you Rozen.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Fantastic Member

Article came out to day with a different writer.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/marv...octor-strange/

I believe Jared Leto has been actually confirmed as being on the short list for Doctor Strange,

The good Doctor actually had a little something to do in today's Original Sin # 4. How I missed the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak. Next week we get the New Avengers Annual, and I think the first Strange focused comic since 2008 if I am correct. Yippee!!

Another positive, it seems that the Director is a fan of the original Strange Tales run, which has heavy usage of Clea, even if it was more damselish at that time. I am sure they will modernize both Clea and Wong, which they both so dearly deserve.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/scott-de...233600715.html
    Last edited by Strangefan; 06-18-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: additional comment

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

yeah, I'm willing to give the original Prometheus screenwriter a chance since a lot of his work was rethought after Damon Lindelof came on board.

I wonder if the director would combine Clea and Wong to be Strange's equal?

And, yes, Strangefan, you're right Leto is back on the short list Doc.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

That's lovely in black & white AND in color!
    Live Faust, Die Jung.