Page 13 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Feige interview from Total Film> yup, the director is confirmed and they will start shooting next Spring. And he's talking the supernatural corner of Marvel, which hopefully means Marvel got over wanting to make magic science based like Thor.

I suspect we'll get more details next month at SDCC.

I have to wait on next weeks' Doctor Strange NA annual. Just can't swing $5 + for that, so hopefully my LCS will mark it down by next year so I can pick it up. Looking forward to hearing what folks think of it though.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Ultimate Member

That makes me wonder how exactly they'll portray Scarlet Witch's powers in AOU?

Fantastic Member

I think they will focus on Wanda's probability abilities when she is first appears, and then explore from there.

Not that I want to get my hopes up, but with Feige saying they hope to hire the actor in a month or two, I think they might even announce it at ComicCon, if the deal is done. Since they've already said the director, the writer, and when it will begin filming, there is really nothing else to reveal. Of course they could just talk about who the villain is, or the basics of the magic universe. It won't be much, they have more immediate films to promote.

I'll try to post a good summary of the annual, Cold War Myth, and hopefully others can post some pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    Feige interview from Total Film> yup, the director is confirmed and they will start shooting next Spring. And he's talking the supernatural corner of Marvel, which hopefully means Marvel got over wanting to make magic science based like Thor.

I suspect we'll get more details next month at SDCC.

I have to wait on next weeks' Doctor Strange NA annual. Just can't swing $5 + for that, so hopefully my LCS will mark it down by next year so I can pick it up. Looking forward to hearing what folks think of it though.
    Feige's interview gave me a lot of hope that they aren't going to try to turn magic into just another form of advanced science (as they did by turning the Asgardians into long lived aliens, not gods). It's very encouraging to me that TPTB at Marvel see the value in the supernatural/magical side of the MU.
    Last edited by Clea; 06-22-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

BANNED

I am SO happy to hear the film news about Dr. Strange. FINALLY some good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    I think they will focus on Wanda's probability abilities when she is first appears, and then explore from there.

Not that I want to get my hopes up, but with Feige saying they hope to hire the actor in a month or two, I think they might even announce it at ComicCon, if the deal is done. Since they've already said the director, the writer, and when it will begin filming, there is really nothing else to reveal. Of course they could just talk about who the villain is, or the basics of the magic universe. It won't be much, they have more immediate films to promote.

I'll try to post a good summary of the annual, Cold War Myth, and hopefully others can post some pages.
    Thanks Strangefan. I think you're right about the DS actor the only other point they could mention next month, I'm sure everything else is still in pre-production.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Feige's interview gave me a lot of hope that they aren't going to try to turn magic into just another form of advanced science (as they did by turning the Asgardians into long lived aliens, not gods). It's very encouraging to me that TPTB at Marvel see the value in the supernatural/magical side of the MU.
    Let's hope you're right about that: only a few months ago Feige was talking Quantum Physics when discussing Strange and magic. appendages crossed.

BANNED

Quantum physics magic. Egads, NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post

At least the movie side. It's amazing how 'defining the rules of magic' and alleged previous low sales aren't such an insurmantable obstacle for an ongoing book, once a movie gets announced. =_=

I'm curious if the director is going to go full on magic, or if he's thinking of the film as a horror supernatural film. I could see either working, but I'm hoping for the former.

Thanks Strangefan. I think you're right about the DS actor the only other point they could mention next month, I'm sure everything else is still in pre-production.

Let's hope you're right about that: only a few months ago Feige was talking Quantum Physics when discussing Strange and magic. appendages crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post

At least the movie side. It's amazing how 'defining the rules of magic' and alleged previous low sales aren't such an insurmantable obstacle for an ongoing book, once a movie gets announced. =_=

I'm curious if the director is going to go full on magic, or if he's thinking of the film as a horror supernatural film. I could see either working, but I'm hoping for the former.
    Cold War Myth and Rheged, I certainly hope they don't try to portray magic as just some esoteric, advanced form of quantum mechanics. Not only would it be a complete, and frankly amateurish misread of quantum physics, it would utterly miss the basic point about magic, what it means to be a magic user, and the differences between types of magic.

I hope they announce the casting at ComicCon. Some basic details about the plot and villains would be nice. I wonder if they're going to jettison his original origin and go with the updated Season One version of his origin.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

BANNED

Cold War Myth and Rheged, I certainly hope they don't try to portray magic as just some esoteric, advanced form of quantum mechanics. Not only would it be a complete, and frankly amateurish misread of quantum physics, it would utterly miss the basic point about magic, what it means to be a magic user, and the differences between types of magic.

I hope they announce the casting at ComicCon. Some basic details about the plot and villains would be nice. I wonder if they're going to jettison his original origin and go with the updated Season One version of his origin.
    Seriously. Marvel needs some magic and fantasy genre, instead of most everything being noir and plain superhero. At least we are getting some SF now.

I did like what the Season One did with Wong. I wouldn't be unhappy to see that implemented.

Yeah, funny how all of sudden the argument against the supernatural/magical side of Marvel goes up in a puff of colored smoke when a film is being greenlit. And I suspect the comics might follow suit (although those tech monks or whatever from the NA annual bother me a bit as I think of Technology when I hear that.) But I hope I am wrong about that.

Very well said, Clea. That's what I would enjoy seeing too. I didn't read the Season One, but it's Pak so I don't think I'd object to it.

Seriously. Marvel needs some magic and fantasy genre, instead of most everything being noir and plain superhero. At least we are getting some SF now.

I did like what the Season One did with Wong. I wouldn't be unhappy to see that implemented.
    Yup, I've been tooting that horn for awhile now. I do hope we eventually get an E-i-C who loves characters from every part of the Marvel U and wants to explore them not just because they're in some other media.

Or making every superhero noir (grumbles Moon Knight...)

I bet we'll get a nice announcement from San Diego. And I may just have to pick up New Avengers 20 this week (along with 19...)

I look forward to hearing what you all think of the annual.

BANNED

Yeah, funny how all of sudden the argument against the supernatural/magical side of Marvel goes up in a puff of colored smoke when a film is being greenlit. And I suspect the comics might follow suit (although those tech monks or whatever from the NA annual bother me a bit as I think of Technology when I hear that.) But I hope I am wrong about that.
    Yeah, I'm curious about how that is going to play out also. Though, from the lettered preview, it sounds like the real threat is totally supernatural, i.e. the demon. And there's definitely a fantasy vibe in rescuing the princess. ;wink;

Very well said, Clea. That's what I would enjoy seeing too. I didn't read the Season One, but it's Pak so I don't think I'd object to it.

Yup, I've been tooting that horn for awhile now. I do hope we eventually get an E-i-C who loves characters from every part of the Marvel U and wants to explore them not just because they're in some other media.

Or making every superhero noir (grumbles Moon Knight...)
    I really don't understand the fascination with noir, that Marvel currently has. Editorial certainly plays favorites with the characters they push, but to be fair, I do think we are getting a few unusual picks, but we're also getting an awful lot of movie pushes.

I still haven't gotten around to reading Moon Knight.

I didn't care for the art on Season One, but the story was pretty good. Wong was great in it. He was a fellow student and quite studly.

I bet we'll get a nice announcement from San Diego. And I may just have to pick up New Avengers 20 this week (along with 19...)

I look forward to hearing what you all think of the annual.
    Definitely keeping my fingers crossed on the SDCC news. Hopefully movie AND comic book ongoing. Anyway else think Kieron Gillen might have been tapped for a new Strange book? I'd love to see what he could do with him.

Yeah, I'm curious about how that is going to play out also. Though, from the lettered preview, it sounds like the real threat is totally supernatural, i.e. the demon. And there's definitely a fantasy vibe in rescuing the princess. ;wink;

I really don't understand the fascination with noir, that Marvel currently has. Editorial certainly plays favorites with the characters they push, but to be fair, I do think we are getting a few unusual picks, but we're also getting an awful lot of movie pushes.

I still haven't gotten around to reading Moon Knight.

I didn't care for the art on Season One, but the story was pretty good. Wong was great in it. He was a fellow student and quite studly.

Definitely keeping my fingers crossed on the SDCC news. Hopefully movie AND comic book ongoing. Anyway else think Kieron Gillen might have been tapped for a new Strange book? I'd love to see what he could do with him.
    Rudy's art is lovely on that annual and yes, you're right about the supernatural and fantasy elements. My LCS will hopefully mark it down a couple of dollars within a year or so.

While I'm glad to see Marvel being open minded as far as a variety of characters, the favoritism and movie angles are unfortunate.

I don't understand the fascination with noir either. While I loved Tony Harris' art on that Doctor Strange mini from the late 90s, the Noir angle and tinkering with Doc's hands / powers bothered the heck of out me then as it does now. Not to mention, the power downs and soul selling situations Doc has been put through the last few years.

I hope Stephen gets a terrific book... I would flip if Kieron Gillen and Kev Walker were the team for it. Gillen has a wonderful handle on fantasy; I think he'd be perfect for Strange. I've been in love with Kev Walker's art since his Games Workshop days back in the 80s: his fantasy work is amazing. I still adore his Merlin from the time displaced T-Bolts run.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    That makes me wonder how exactly they'll portray Scarlet Witch's powers in AOU?
    I believe they said Scarlet Witch's powers will be a mix of sorcery and telekinesis. I don't have a link because this was on the old forum.

That being said, if they go the tech-magic route with Strange, I won't see the film. It has to be 100% magic.

BANNED

Edgar Ramirez MAY have a role in Dr. Strange. I'm hoping it's Baron Mordo.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...m-about-a-role

Regarding our prior discussion about whether or not Marvel will explain magic as a form of science...

Strange: You can't admit that magic is real, can you?
    Beast: You can't admit that it could be an as-yet-unexplained science.
    Strange: One of us is right and one of us has blue fur.

LOL! At least Marvel has a sense of humor about it.

one of us is right.jpg

from A+X #15

I missed this down at my LCS when it came out. I'll have to scout around to find this issue.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.