Page 16 of 116 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Interesting tidbits in today's Axel In Charge:

A "New Avengers Annual" was released this week, written by Frank Barbiere in his Marvel debut, after projects at Image Comics, Dark Horse Comics and Dynamite Entertainment. What was it about his past work that landed him on Marvel's radar?

Alonso: Barbiere's work on "Five Ghosts" and "White Suits" caught the attention of Assistant Editor Jake Thomas. Jake thought Frank wrote dynamic stories and nuanced characters so he reached out to him for an annual he was casting. Frank delivered a pitch that delivered everything Jake wanted -- most notably, a deep understanding of what makes Strange work and how to test him to spotlight his strengths and his weaknesses.

It's notable that this "New Avengers Annual" is essentially a Doctor Strange solo story. Can it be seen as testing the waters at all for a future "Doctor Strange" solo series?

Alonso: There is a Doctor Strange plan. I'm not going to get into the who's, when's or what's, but I will confirm that we have a writer, and he or she has got a very firm handle on what they're going to do. Doctor Strange's role in "Original Sin" helps us get there.

Sooooo, could Strange's next's writer be a gal???

Extraordinary Member

Holy shit. A SERIES! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Interesting tidbits in today's Axel In Charge:

Sooooo, could Strange's next's writer be a gal???
    Speaking on behalf of gals everywhere I say sure, why not? If I recall correctly, a female writer from Scotland was being touted as a possible writer for a new Strange ongoing series a few years ago, though that book never materialized. So long as the writer understands the characters and knows how to plot a story well in a comic book format, it doesn't matter if the writer is a woman or a man. I just hope that whoever the writer is, she or he will understand Doctor Strange's whole history and not just go by what's been depicted in the New Avengers in the last few years.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Extraordinary Member

Gender doesn't even matter for me.

Fantastic Member

Someone who is interested in not only showing the power of Strange, but his heart is what I am hoping for. The only focus of his personal life is all about sacrifice lately. I want to see the teacher, the healer, the friend aspects that have been missing so long. They can be green with pink polka dots, any gender will do if they deliver that.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

More ladies in creative control at Marvel, the better.
    y
    I'm reading the old Sorcerer Supreme series right now, and my god, I need some monthly Strange in my life.

Extraordinary Member

Its looking very likely.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

What's everyone's favorite Doctor Strange stories?

Fantastic Member

Lots of favorites.

At the end of Strange Tales vol 1 he dealt with Zom, the Living Tribunal. Mordo, Nebulos, Yandroth. A real rollercoaster.

Into the Dark Dimension actually showed character evolution, especially with Clea. While it was grand to find that Clea was the rightful Queen, it also has caused a permanent conflict in her relationship with Stephen. Either she is dethroned, like currently, or they have the longest distance relationship in Marvel.

The journey to end vampires was interesting, and it introduced me to Hannibal King

The firrst encounter with Shuma Gorath that lead to Sise Neg, which lead to Strange witnessing creation, which leads him into accepting death and basically becoming immortal.

I liked the more recent Strange mini, because I really liked Casey, one day I hope she is rescued from that dimension.

I have been dreading the fall, because I have to go back to college to keep my job, but the possibility of Strange getting an on going takes the sting out a bit.

Stumbled across this today: Cracked.com article about Dr. Strange.
    http://www.cracked.com/funny-5298-dr.-strange/

It's a surprisingly thorough overview of Strange's history and power, done in Cracked's silly, flippant style. Somebody at Cracked is clearly a fan.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    What's everyone's favorite Doctor Strange stories?
    The early bronze age for me.

Love me some Steve Englehart and Frank Brunner.

Also Roy Thomas and Gene Colan.

Oh, and Triumph and Torment, with the extra treat of Dr. Doom and Mignola art.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Speaking on behalf of gals everywhere I say sure, why not? If I recall correctly, a female writer from Scotland was being touted as a possible writer for a new Strange ongoing series a few years ago, though that book never materialized. So long as the writer understands the characters and knows how to plot a story well in a comic book format, it doesn't matter if the writer is a woman or a man. I just hope that whoever the writer is, she or he will understand Doctor Strange's whole history and not just go by what's been depicted in the New Avengers in the last few years.
    Didn't not know that -- or of any Scottish female writer. Must consult my Scottish sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    Someone who is interested in not only showing the power of Strange, but his heart is what I am hoping for. The only focus of his personal life is all about sacrifice lately. I want to see the teacher, the healer, the friend aspects that have been missing so long. They can be green with pink polka dots, any gender will do if they deliver that.
    See, I think a female writer wouldn't forget that stuff and actually use it in her stories -- making broad generalizations here, I realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    More ladies in creative control at Marvel, the better.
    y
    I'm reading the old Sorcerer Supreme series right now, and my god, I need some monthly Strange in my life.
    Oh, I'd be happy at the news, as long as she was a good female writer. I'm just wondering, however, with so few female writers, it narrows down the guessing game. And I'm not coming up with anyone but Kathryn Immonen.

Fantastic Member

Reviews of New Avengers Annual seem to be almost universally positive. All but yep are 9's and 10's. Can't wait to find out how well it sold. The good Doctor deserves the appreciation.
    Last edited by Strangefan; 06-28-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Favorite Doc stories...

1. The Quest for Eternity- by Ditko & Lee
    2. What is it that Disturbs You Stephen (originally Dr. Strange Annual 1 revised and expanded by P. Craig Russell in the 90's a sa prestige format 1 shot
    3. The Origin of Dr. Strange by Ditko & Lee
    4. The Shuma Gorath Siseneg saga by Englehart, Brunner and others
    5. Dr. Strange in Nightmare (original prose Dr. Strange novel by William Roseler with chapter illustrationsby Frank Brunner)
    6. Dr. Strange the Oath by Marcos Martin and BKV
    7. Triumph and Torment by Stern & Mignola
    8. Dr. Strange-the mystic origin of America by Englehart (unfinished when Englehart left and Wolfman put of af ork in he storyline, but the Doc-Clea-Ben Franklin love triangle was glorious...)
    9. Dr. Strange: Flight of the Bones
    10. I, Dormammu (Dr. Strange 171-173) by Thomas & Colan

-M

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Favorite Doc stories...

5. Dr. Strange in Nightmare (original prose Dr. Strange novel by William Roseler with chapter illustrationsby Frank Brunner)

-M
    Excellent choices! Quite a few I'd neglected. But I've never heard of this one. Sounds wonderful! I must go looking for it. Strange is one Marvel character that would be WONDERFUL in prose, I'm betting.