Page 18 of 116 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Hickman didn't invent the idea that Strange doesn't have a soul tho' - that was actually a plot-point in Mark Waid's Dr Strange -series, where Strange tried to sell his soul as well, but couldn't do it, because the demon said he just couldn't collect it, no matter how he tried.

I think Ptor, who runs the Sanctum Sanctorum Dr Strange blog, has said that there are even older hints of this, that Strange's soul doesn't belong to him any more.

( I think he implied that it does as a matter of fact, belong to the Vishanti instead.)
    Not sure what sources he is using as the basis for his idea that Strange's soul belongs to the Vishanti.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Fantastic Member

I've never read about the Vishanti owning his soul, but I do remember them saying Strange owed them which why they felt he should fight in the War of Seven Spheres. I personally felt their power is related to belief. When you are a god it seems the more people who believe in you, like the mystics the more power they have. It seems contradictory that the Vishanti, who are supposed to be a force for the light, would demand a soul.

I had the idea after seeing all the pictures of Eternity that perhaps Strange's lack of perception is a symptom of the universe itself being out of kilter. We have time broken, the superflows, or whatever the Builders were all about are also broken. Some aspect of the Living Tribunal was put down. Since Strange is supposed to be attuned to the universe, his long downward spire could be a symptom as well.

Going back to an earlier post, I so truly miss the martial arts master aspect of Strange. It was fun to see again.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    I've never read about the Vishanti owning his soul, but I do remember them saying Strange owed them which why they felt he should fight in the War of Seven Spheres. I personally felt their power is related to belief. When you are a god it seems the more people who believe in you, like the mystics the more power they have. It seems contradictory that the Vishanti, who are supposed to be a force for the light, would demand a soul.

I had the idea after seeing all the pictures of Eternity that perhaps Strange's lack of perception is a symptom of the universe itself being out of kilter. We have time broken, the superflows, or whatever the Builders were all about are also broken. Some aspect of the Living Tribunal was put down. Since Strange is supposed to be attuned to the universe, his long downward spire could be a symptom as well.

Going back to an earlier post, I so truly miss the martial arts master aspect of Strange. It was fun to see again.
    IMO, the Vishanti felt that since Strange called on them for power, that he owed them his unquestioning allegiance, not his soul. When they demanded that Strange fight for them in the War of the Seven Spheres, he initially refused and told them to collectively take a hike. As a result, they withheld their power from him. Strange found an alternate power source to draw upon for his spells (the mystic power of the earth itself). The Vishanti were so impressed that they came back and were a bit more polite when they asked him to fight in the War. He agreed the 2nd time - but only if they agreed to conditions he set. I didn't have the impression that the Vishanti 'owned' his soul.

I don't personally view the Vishanti as forces of pure good so much as they are beings who are involved in a much higher level balance of power with other uber-powerful deities, some good, some malevolent. The Sorcerer Supreme is a foot soldier that keeps malevolent forces from taking over the earth dimension, so he (or she) serves their purposes.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Another awesome splash! Those old books are definitely some of my favorites. I feel the need to peruse my Marvel Masterworks again.

I LOVED the Tomb of Dracula run of Colan and Marv Wolfman. Classic stuff. Not all that cool dimensional stuff, but atmospheric and dynamic. Some folks liked him on Daredevil, but I didn't read that.

Yes, indeed, Colan did do quite a few Namor issues -- especially the early Tales to Astonish issues. Sadly, though, too many were inked by Colletta, who is the absolute wrong person to ink Colan. I'm going to be offline until tomorrow, but drop by the Namor appreciation thread tomorrow, and I'll see what I can dig up.
    Oh, I've been lurking. I just didn't want in to the whole Namor/BP debacle. I enjoy both characters, especially their adventures from the 60's and 70's, but it looks like a cluster f, and I'm not sure if I want to get in the middle of it.

If you like Gene Colan's stuff on Doc, and don't mind delving into DC, check out the original Night Force series and the two Nathaniel Dusk mini series.

For Marvel, his Tomb of Dracula run is amazing, and his 60's Daredevil stuff is a sheer joy to look at visually.

-M

Bleeding Cool seems to be speculating that Kieron Gillen might be writing a new Doctor Strange book. I hope this is true. He would be a perfect writer for Stephen.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Bleeding Cool seems to be speculating that Kieron Gillen might be writing a new Doctor Strange book. I hope this is true. He would be a perfect writer for Stephen.
    That would be marvelous.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I fully support this, if indeed true.

I really hope we start seeing more Doctor Strange collections soon as the new series and the movie develop. I wanna get caught up on his history but most trades are out of print... I'm hoping for an Epic Collection of the Lee/Ditko run and that early material, basically what the Essentials covered but in color and a more accessible price than the Masterworks. Or maybe even an Omnibus. Also, more of the Roger Stern run - I just managed to get the Into The Dark Dimension HC and I really liked it.

Still unable to find the Separate Reality trade, sadly.

I want Hans or Pacheco on art duties for this run.

Does anyone have any Colan Clea pictures? I can't seem to find any on the internet, and I really want one for an avatar.

Looks like a con sketch but....

-M

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Does anyone have any Colan Clea pictures? I can't seem to find any on the internet, and I really want one for an avatar.
    Color, black and white, or either? Is there any particular issue you'd like images from? I have all of them. I could make you scans.

Here's a pretty sketch on Pinterest, taken from Tumblr.
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/295830269244223374/

Ha! Looks like we found the same picture at the same time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Clea; 06-30-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

I was hoping for color, but I'll take either.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I fully support this, if indeed true.

I really hope we start seeing more Doctor Strange collections soon as the new series and the movie develop. I wanna get caught up on his history but most trades are out of print... I'm hoping for an Epic Collection of the Lee/Ditko run and that early material, basically what the Essentials covered but in color and a more accessible price than the Masterworks. Or maybe even an Omnibus. Also, more of the Roger Stern run - I just managed to get the Into The Dark Dimension HC and I really liked it.

Still unable to find the Separate Reality trade, sadly.
    Amazon has used for about 18.00 and new for 30.00. These issues are also in the Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange Vol 5, which you can get for hardcover for roughly the same price as the trade paperback. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I was hoping for color, but I'll take either.
    I had to switch computers. I have my comics scans and pictures on my old PC. I went through my images collection and found some Colan pictures.

Clea by Gene Colan.jpg

1569709-loir.jpg

1720168-clea2.jpg
    Live Faust, Die Jung.