Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 1731
  1. #16
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Absence makes the heart grow fonder, I am telling myself, as I impatiently wait for Dr. Strange to bust out in a comic. I know they will deliver, but the wait is difficult. New Avengers, while I appreciate the build up, is waiting so long to show us Strange powered up.

    Looking at the comments about voicing the spells, or having the footnotes I am half and half. The thing I have always appreciated about Strange is that you felt this guy learned something, learned it well, and isn't just firing out bolts of light that do what he wants. So the spell saying is nicely dramatic, but the footnotes also indicate that he wasn't just spouting random poetry at his foes. Either is better than what we've had lately, which is nothing, or him in the background firing bolts. I think the only time I am recalling in this current run that he has done something else is tracking down Thanos' son and teleporting.

    That being said, I am looking forward to him interacting with the Punisher in Original sin, and obviously I can't wait for a Strange-focused NA annual. Summer will be nice, I am sure.

  2. #17
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,787

    Default

    I don't mind the mystic footnotes, but I like the chanting too.

    Does anyone like the Marvel Knights Strange series? The one with Tony Harris artwork? I thought it was fun but it doesn't seem to get talked about much. I think it kinda got overshadowed by some of the other comics that came out at the same time ( DD, Panther, Inhumans).


    One thing I keep waffling on buying and reading is a 90's run where Doc is a young guy with shades?

  3. #18
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,787

    Default

    I can't remember if this was brought up in the old "pre-reboot" thread, although I'm sure it must have been...how does everyone feel about the animated feature from some years back? I thought the animation was mediocre, but more than that, I thought there was way too much "mystical" kung fu in it. I was thinking that Stephen should have been shown reading more books and doing mediation and what not. Maybe eating some eye of newt and having visions (joking). But yeah, a little too much Karate Kid stuff...

    I DID like the way Wong was portrayed though as a psuedo-mentor or upper classman rather than just a servant.

    I liked most of the character designs as well.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,792

    Default

    I prefer the old school incantations; Crimson Bands of Cytorrak, Shields of the Seraphim, Bolts of Bedevilment/Balthakk, Winds of Watoomb, etc. to just random magic lasers and force fields with nothing special or magical about them. In addition to giving Strange his own unique style, more than just random zap-throwing dude #432, it also gives some definition to the character's abilities, so that we know what sort of things he can regularly do, instead of the sometimes inconsistent portrayals he's had in the past (when he can teleport the Defenders all around the world, to other dimenions, or even to other planets, willy-nilly, and then, as an Avenger, can't teleport the team anywhere because they need to sit in the Quinjet and have lively conversations on the way to places, because they didn't have enough sitting around in the conference room or sitting around at the breakfast table to get all the sitting around and talking done).

    Instead what has happened to the Scarlet Witch or Wiccan, whose 'magic' has been replaced with 'reality manipulation' that can arbitrarily do anything (and is more likely to be the source of a given events problems than any sort of heroic solution), when Strange is presented with a coherent arsenal of specific spells and capabilities, I think he's a far more fascinating and fun character.

  5. #20
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlantean Embassy
    Posts
    1,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Ah chanting would be better but I dont go that far back with Strange.

    And yes the art does fit.
    To be fair, not every writer can create awesome spell poetry every month.

    By Oshtur's fearsome visage,
    'fore which all things do shake --
    by Hoggoth's Hoary legions,
    which bid the cosmos quake --
    let all veils now be lifted --
    the Ancient One awake!!

    Negativistic, Nihilistic Force
    By the seven Bands of Cyttorak --
    by whom all things are held --
    by the dark-souled Demons of Denak --
    now be these bands dispelled!

    These are from an awesome source for Dr. Strange information: The Lesser Book of the Vishanti by catherine yronwode

  6. #21
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    To be fair, not every writer can create awesome spell poetry every month.

    By Oshtur's fearsome visage,
    'fore which all things do shake --
    by Hoggoth's Hoary legions,
    which bid the cosmos quake --
    let all veils now be lifted --
    the Ancient One awake!!

    Negativistic, Nihilistic Force
    By the seven Bands of Cyttorak --
    by whom all things are held --
    by the dark-souled Demons of Denak --
    now be these bands dispelled!

    These are from an awesome source for Dr. Strange information: The Lesser Book of the Vishanti by catherine yronwode
    Good Point. I would hate to see Bendis try that.

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlantean Embassy
    Posts
    1,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Good Point. I would hate to see Bendis try that.
    No thank you.

    But when they do the Doctor Strange movie, I'd like to see a Brit or Shakespearean actor, who can deliver such awesome spell poetry with the appropriate conviction.

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In a 70s foreign genre film
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    No thank you.

    But when they do the Doctor Strange movie, I'd like to see a Brit or Shakespearean actor, who can deliver such awesome spell poetry with the appropriate conviction.
    Agreed. What I like about those old spells is that they sound like a proper magical system. And they're just fun. Coming from a terrific actor, hearing these would be fantastic.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

  9. #24
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlantean Embassy
    Posts
    1,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder, I am telling myself, as I impatiently wait for Dr. Strange to bust out in a comic. I know they will deliver, but the wait is difficult. New Avengers, while I appreciate the build up, is waiting so long to show us Strange powered up.

    Looking at the comments about voicing the spells, or having the footnotes I am half and half. The thing I have always appreciated about Strange is that you felt this guy learned something, learned it well, and isn't just firing out bolts of light that do what he wants. So the spell saying is nicely dramatic, but the footnotes also indicate that he wasn't just spouting random poetry at his foes. Either is better than what we've had lately, which is nothing, or him in the background firing bolts. I think the only time I am recalling in this current run that he has done something else is tracking down Thanos' son and teleporting.

    That being said, I am looking forward to him interacting with the Punisher in Original sin, and obviously I can't wait for a Strange-focused NA annual. Summer will be nice, I am sure.
    Yay! Glad you made it over here, Strangefan!

    I know how you feel, about the lack of Doctor Strange in the MU right now, but I think you are entirely correct, this summer we'll be getting quite a bit of Strange centric material. Seeing Rudy's art for the New Avengers Annual has got me very excited. Unfortunately, I've become resigned over New Avengers series.

    The Punisher stuff ... well, I'm waiting to see how that turns out. It's definitely odd.

  10. #25
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Yay! Glad you made it over here, Strangefan!

    I know how you feel, about the lack of Doctor Strange in the MU right now, but I think you are entirely correct, this summer we'll be getting quite a bit of Strange centric material. Seeing Rudy's art for the New Avengers Annual has got me very excited. Unfortunately, I've become resigned over New Avengers series.

    The Punisher stuff ... well, I'm waiting to see how that turns out. It's definitely odd.
    Ah, but that is what I like. I like it when people not used to magic have to deal with Strange. It's like seeing him through new eyes. So much in Marvel agrandizes science it is nice to see people flummoxed by what Strange does as easily as breathing.

  11. #26
    Incredible Member heiro5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    640

    Default

    I'm frustrated by the usage Strange has gotten in the last several years. To my way of seeing, it seems he's been relegated mostly to stories of personal or moral failure -- losing his mantle as Sorcerer Supreme (although his sorcerer-rocking-a-trenchcoat look was pretty cool, given the circumstances), selling his soul apparently, with whatever fallout that will entail.

    I suppose in the era when the "most dramatic" stories seem only to be able to muster the notion of killing a character, it could be worse. We haven't had to suffer through "The Death of Dr Strange."

    I am actually a fan of the spell footnotes. They give me both a sense of the vast store of learning he has acquired, and I also get that Kung fu movie vibe of calling out your move. I don't see why it needs to be an either/or, however. While not every spell may have a verbal component, of course some of them do, and it should be reflected as such. The criticism of it reducing him to a "chef with recipes" is funny, but I don't think it's necessarily inaccurate. His magic doesn't come innately, it has been earned the hard way, through education and practice. It is why he is not pitching wild, like Wiccan or sometimes the Scarlet Witch, who have a native talent that lets them get right into magic without developing skills. Talent will get you pretty far, but only developing true skills will make you a master.

    I would like to see some storyline involving Magik training with Dr Strange in the past. I think that is a fun bit of story that is happening and I would like to see some instead of just occasionally hearing about it.

  12. #27
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    328

    Default

    My biggest Doctor Strange dream is for there to be a least a mini series telling about his experiences during the War of the Seven Spheres. You think they could tell a tale or two during the vast millenia it took place over.

    Heck, for that matter, how about some other Marvelites discover just how long the guy has put it on the line for Earth.

  13. #28
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,900

    Default

    A bit spoilery though but spoilers:
    how great was it that he was mentioned in Cap 1: Winter Soldier? I hope that means that we may see him in one of those end credits bonus scenes one day
    end of spoilers

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In a 70s foreign genre film
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    A bit spoilery though but spoilers:
    how great was it that he was mentioned in Cap 1: Winter Soldier? I hope that means that we may see him in one of those end credits bonus scenes one day
    end of spoilers
    If Ant-Man is the last Phase Two, maybe then?
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

  15. #30
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    14,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    If Ant-Man is the last Phase Two, maybe then?
    There's always a chance Guardians of the Galaxy might but I would think it would be something for Avenger 2.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •