Page 5 of 116 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    I completely agree with the bold. I've been baffled by absolutely no attempts to work the Marvel U magic into new books > the only excuse I can think of are the fact that most of the higher ups are street/crime/noir fans and loathe deus ex machina (which Strange really has not relied on for a long, long time.) It's just sad.
    THIS right here. I really feel that style has limited Marvel's genres and story telling options. Even the superheroes are painted with this. Which I don't object to necessarily, as some supers it works well on.

I know the new (and thoroughly disappointing to me anyway) Moon Knight run is clearly an attempt to get some sort of live action thing going, but with the backing of Disney and thousands of characters and sandboxes to play in, why Marvel does not do more with Stephen, Namor and other characters and realms which could add to the Marvel U now just boggles my mind. I mean Disney has all kinds of magical characters...

/end rant..
    Vent away! I'm sorry to hear the Moon Knight book has proven disappointing for you. I know you were really looking forward to it.

Thanks for posting more of Schiti's character designs. There's a nice mirth to Stephen.

Punisher Frog is pretty awesome (imagines the Ribbit sounding like machine gun fire.) Re: Hickman, I thought it was clearly T'challa's book, thanks for elaborating on that. I agree with you, Marvel should have come clean on that.
    ROFL! Ribbit gun fire! Punisher Frog is growing on me. And yep, my favorite part of Schiti's Strange is the humor and warmth.

Beyond the mis-naming of New Avengers, it's very frustrating to see Hickman HAS the pages to write about other team members, but he'd rather write 3 issues about the alt-Illuminati.

I do hope we get a Strange book long before any film is greenlit. If they want to do magic right, take some time to set it up.

I'm on the fence with Original Sin. I like the idea of it, but am kind of backing away > as I've been burned by way too many bad Marvel events and I'm nervous about Nick Fury Sr. too. But I hope there's some interesting things with Stephen going on in OS.

Thanks for the ANI update > you're probably right since there are two issues in July.

And I hope Hickman does not trash Strange again. I was pretty annoyed when I heard Stephen sold his soul given the type of mystical stuff Hickman's written in the past. Oh well, I just hope Namor and Stephen get some good character time in that book soon.
    I'm not going to say no to a Strange book ASAP. LOL!

Keeping my fingers crossed on future issues of Original Sin and New Avengers, for the good doctor.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    THIS right here. I really feel that style has limited Marvel's genres and story telling options. Even the superheroes are painted with this. Which I don't object to necessarily, as some supers it works well on.
    I completely agree. Noir/Espionage/çrime for Punisher, Winter Soldier, Black Widow, Iron Fist and such sure those genres work, but seeing something like that in Thor, etc. rankles me after awhile. As you said, it works for some characters (and it sounds like it will work for the Original Sin storyline given Brubaker's initial ideas), but I think some of the epic feel, fun, wonder and playfulness in the Marvel U has been lost because of this bias. I really hope when it comes time for Stephen (and other characters) to get their own series/minis etc. that Marvel takes a cue from Disney and Stan Lee and explores magic and other realms.

I am hoping the MCU makes Stephen work in a way that does not push the magic under the rug for a weak argument like the Asgardians (advanced alien race - pfft!)

Vent away! I'm sorry to hear the Moon Knight book has proven disappointing for you. I know you were really looking forward to it.
    I don't want to sound like a Negative Nancy constantly, but I think part of the reason why I have fallen back in love with 2000AD's Slaine again is that the writer and artist have fully embraced the myths, magic and such and are speed skating with it. I so want that back in the Marvel U.

Moon Knight > Hey, it happens. I am learning to let go pretty quick (and Marvel would help that with Strange and Winter Soldier series (ahem) Perhaps if we sic Punisher Frog on some folks they might change their minds

I agree with you that Hickman's best work was Fantastic Four. I'd read very little F4 prior to that and I really enjoyed the 2 volumes I read. It seemed like it was made for Jonathan's style of story-telling and the characterization was terrific. I do hope he remembers there are more characters in the NA and works with them.

I'm not going to say no to a Strange book ASAP. LOL!
    Hear! Hear!

Keeping my fingers crossed on future issues of Original Sin and New Avengers, for the good doctor.
    I look forward to reading your comments. I do hope that NA annual is coming out in a couple of weeks. The art looks more lovely each time I take a peek.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

I completely agree. Noir/Espionage/çrime for Punisher, Winter Soldier, Black Widow, Iron Fist and such sure those genres work, but seeing something like that in Thor, etc. rankles me after awhile. As you said, it works for some characters (and it sounds like it will work for the Original Sin storyline given Brubaker's initial ideas), but I think some of the epic feel, fun, wonder and playfulness in the Marvel U has been lost because of this bias. I really hope when it comes time for Stephen (and other characters) to get their own series/minis etc. that Marvel takes a cue from Disney and Stan Lee and explores magic and other realms.

I am hoping the MCU makes Stephen work in a way that does not push the magic under the rug for a weak argument like the Asgardians (advanced alien race - pfft!)

I don't want to sound like a Negative Nancy constantly, but I think part of the reason why I have fallen back in love with 2000AD's Slaine again is that the writer and artist have fully embraced the myths, magic and such and are speed skating with it. I so want that back in the Marvel U.
    Exactly! I don't think Avengers should have a noir sensibility at all. It doesn't have to be "grounded." It's okay if cosmic is space opera or science fiction. Heck, soap opera is fine! Fantasy and sword and sorcery are great genres too.

And ditto on that business about the space alien Asgardians. Give me 'real' magic and myth.

LOL! Yep, I often feel the same about becoming a Negative Nancy -- especially when a New Avengers issue comes out. ;p I had a cure for that. I need to see if it is still around ... I'm betting it is.

Moon Knight > Hey, it happens. I am learning to let go pretty quick (and Marvel would help that with Strange and Winter Soldier series (ahem) Perhaps if we sic Punisher Frog on some folks they might change their minds

I agree with you that Hickman's best work was Fantastic Four. I'd read very little F4 prior to that and I really enjoyed the 2 volumes I read. It seemed like it was made for Jonathan's style of story-telling and the characterization was terrific. I do hope he remembers there are more characters in the NA and works with them.

I look forward to reading your comments. I do hope that NA annual is coming out in a couple of weeks. The art looks more lovely each time I take a peek.
    Not holding my breath, but am becoming more and more resigned to what Hickman is doing. I'm just not sure if I want to keep paying for it. LOL!

And that's a good attitude about Moon Knight. I should follow your lead! I'm thinking now, I could get a frog toy and paint him up with the Punisher costume ... just need to find some toy machine guns.

I can't WAIT for the New Avengers Annual!

Exactly! I don't think Avengers should have a noir sensibility at all. It doesn't have to be "grounded." It's okay if cosmic is space opera or science fiction. Heck, soap opera is fine! Fantasy and sword and sorcery are great genres too.

And ditto on that business about the space alien Asgardians. Give me 'real' magic and myth.

LOL! Yep, I often feel the same about becoming a Negative Nancy -- especially when a New Avengers issue comes out. ;p I had a cure for that. I need to see if it is still around ... I'm betting it is.
    Agreed on all counts > cure : reading some really good Defenders

Not holding my breath, but am becoming more and more resigned to what Hickman is doing. I'm just not sure if I want to keep paying for it. LOL!

And that's a good attitude about Moon Knight. I should follow your lead! I'm thinking now, I could get a frog toy and paint him up with the Punisher costume ... just need to find some toy machine guns.

I can't WAIT for the New Avengers Annual!
    LOL go for it (Punisher Frog)... I can't wait for the NA Annual either. It seems like the first real story with Stephen in some time.

Fantastic Member

Since this is the place to wish for interesting things for Stephen, and currently he really only has NA, I am hoping that once this whole Incursion thing is solved that Stephen acts as a go-between of all these interdimensional people. They'll probably give it to Reed or Tony, Science being the true god of Marveldom, but it would be nice if Stephen were the go to resource for at least travel issues. He doesn't need a machine to get where he is going. Plus, it seems with the Incursions we've seen there isn't a whole lot of pure magic out there, even Doom mixes science with his magic. What I wouldn't give for a cosmic headhunter trying to "hire" Strange away from 616 for their own dimensions SS because his level of talent is rare. Sigh.

Punisher Frog sounds like a real thing to me, and I really hope someone at Marvel is scanning the boards and runs with that idea. It is just too hilarious. He would team up with Deadpool for one whacked out mini series before Strange decides his penance is enough and changes him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    What I wouldn't give for a cosmic headhunter trying to "hire" Strange away from 616 for their own dimensions SS because his level of talent is rare. Sigh.

Punisher Frog sounds like a real thing to me, and I really hope someone at Marvel is scanning the boards and runs with that idea. It is just too hilarious. He would team up with Deadpool for one whacked out mini series before Strange decides his penance is enough and changes him back.
    Like the cosmic headhunter idea, Strangefan. And < LOL > at your Punisher Frog idea. Wade is more than enough punishment for anyone. Though I don't think Stephen would go that far...however, we'll have to see how he and Frank interact in subsequent OS issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    Since this is the place to wish for interesting things for Stephen, and currently he really only has NA, I am hoping that once this whole Incursion thing is solved that Stephen acts as a go-between of all these interdimensional people. They'll probably give it to Reed or Tony, Science being the true god of Marveldom, but it would be nice if Stephen were the go to resource for at least travel issues. He doesn't need a machine to get where he is going. Plus, it seems with the Incursions we've seen there isn't a whole lot of pure magic out there, even Doom mixes science with his magic. What I wouldn't give for a cosmic headhunter trying to "hire" Strange away from 616 for their own dimensions SS because his level of talent is rare. Sigh.

I LOVE this idea! An adventure that doesn't involve the woes of power or losing it.

I was thinking it might be cool to pursue an instory explanation for the lack of magic in the MU, in that it is literally fading away. And Dr. Strange has to figure out what is going on and fix it.

They are welcome to it! Though, I wouldn't mind seeing a Punisher Frog Pet Avenger mini come out it. ;p

BANNED

A now for something a bit more light hearted ...

BANNED

Hmmmm. Doc must be a terrible cook. ;P

Here's something else I found amusing. It's by Mark Lamming, IIRC.

Woo for Dr Strange!

Do you guys/girls have any scans of your favourite Dr Strange moments? Or of him doing things that are awesome?
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Am I the only one who hears Vincent Price when reading his dialogue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRV5raXCDkA

BANNED

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    Do you guys/girls have any scans of your favourite Dr Strange moments? Or of him doing things that are awesome?
    I know there are a bunch of caveats to this 'feat,' (Galactus was at his weakest, and was being pounded on by the combined Avengers and Fantastic Four), but it's still awesome;

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron...VsGalactus.jpg
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-20-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Hmmmm. Doc must be a terrible cook. ;P

Here's something else I found amusing. It's by Mark Lamming, IIRC.

I love this Lamming commission. It reminds me of another concept a doom metal artist had about a 70s style Doctor Strange that sadly never saw the light of day. I'd be curious to see Marc's take on a traditional Strange, but this is priceless. Thanks for posting that.

And ha, ha. Strange stew. I wonder if anyone ever did a Strange brew recipe in honor of Stephen?

Just got a new frame for one of my favorite Dr. Strange prints (the old one cracked when I went to change the spot where it was hung) and put the print up in one of the rooms we recently redecorated....

-M