Page 51 of 116 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    So, where is 616 Dr. Strange?

Also, Marc Lamming's art is AMAZING.
    Yeah the art looks great.

P.S. Almost all the battleworlds are getting series except for the Eye of Agamotto world. *sigh*

Man, I just finished reading Into The Dark Dimension... Talk about getting it right.

Strange is smart, capable, compassionate. His challenges stem as much from the difficulty of practicing advanced magic as much as from external adversaries. There is a great spectrum of scale to the stories, some smaller -- helping folks in need and trouble -- to the epic which, as has been stated here often and recently, reads as epic by contrast to smaller but still very satisfying stories (and not this "loudness war" of ever escalating EPICNESS which seems to be delivering diminishing returns). Plus, interdimensional diplomacy (sure, in scenarios that often devolve to magical fisticuffs, but still).

Wish anything remotely along these lines or with this stance towards the character and his possibilities were part of the landscape.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Styder24 View Post
    Yeah the art looks great.

P.S. Almost all the battleworlds are getting series except for the Eye of Agamotto world. *sigh*
    Sigh.

Yes, each Secret War announcement, even if I like part of it, is more and more disappointing to me personally. I have to keep reminding myself that at least Strange has a movie coming, so they can NOT completely ignore him or treat him like crap, unlike other personal favorites.

IOW, I'm trying to keep a little hope alive that Eye of Agamotto Domain WILL have be announced soon, and WILL be spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by heiro5 View Post
    Man, I just finished reading Into The Dark Dimension... Talk about getting it right.

Strange is smart, capable, compassionate. His challenges stem as much from the difficulty of practicing advanced magic as much as from external adversaries. There is a great spectrum of scale to the stories, some smaller -- helping folks in need and trouble -- to the epic which, as has been stated here often and recently, reads as epic by contrast to smaller but still very satisfying stories (and not this "loudness war" of ever escalating EPICNESS which seems to be delivering diminishing returns). Plus, interdimensional diplomacy (sure, in scenarios that often devolve to magical fisticuffs, but still).

Wish anything remotely along these lines or with this stance towards the character and his possibilities were part of the landscape.
    Sounds wonderful! I was waffling over what extra to pick up this week on a trade order, but now will pick this up.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Sounds wonderful! I was waffling over what extra to pick up this week on a trade order, but now will pick this up.
    It only has a hard cover release, but I'd say it's well worth it. Pretty utterly fantastic.

Fantastic Member

Well, we finally have something about the movie.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2130574/kevi...-movie-future/

Feel this poor, forgotten thread needs a bit of a bump. I had hoped that they might do a little bit of filming before, but it does make sense to wait until after the play. We've waited this long, perhaps Marvel Comics might finally mention when he will finally get his own on-going.

I hope they start releasing and reprinting some doctor strange collections close to when the movie comes out. I've never read any doctor strange stuff(really I'm only barely familiar with the character based on fuzzy memories of his appearance(s) on that old 90s spiderman cartoon and from marvel ultimate alliance) but it seems like online the selection of doctor strange books in a reasonable price is pretty limited, and none of the 3 comic book stores near me have ANY doctor strange books.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

So, where is 616 Dr. Strange?

Also, Marc Lamming's art is AMAZING.
    Agreed on both points. I love Marc's art.

I cancelled my Planet Hulk pre-order though, despite Marc's art and Cap / Stephen. Seems like it will read better in trade.

And Scott Derrickson's twitter is so much fun. Lots of little nods to Doctor Strange. I'll expect more now that they are location scouting in NY.
    Last edited by Lady Warp Spasm; 04-12-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I hope they start releasing and reprinting some doctor strange collections close to when the movie comes out. I've never read any doctor strange stuff(really I'm only barely familiar with the character based on fuzzy memories of his appearance(s) on that old 90s spiderman cartoon and from marvel ultimate alliance) but it seems like online the selection of doctor strange books in a reasonable price is pretty limited, and none of the 3 comic book stores near me have ANY doctor strange books.
    There are some books out right now, but of course, there could always be more. If you want to start from the beginning, I think in the next month or two, Marvel is reprinting the hard to find MARVEL MASTERWORKS DOCTOR STRANGE VOL. 1 in hard cover. It's a bit pricey, $50, but you can find it discounted for half price usually, when it first comes out. I am snapping this baby up when it hits, even though I do have a hard to find paperback of this book. But this is definitely a Stan Lee, Steve Ditko Silver Age story, which may not be to everyone's taste, though I enjoy it. There are six volumes of Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange out, so a good start on his early stories. Of course, as you said, I expect an Omnibus of the first two MMW to come out before the movie.

If you want something immediately and modern, you could try the Greg Pak and Emma Rios DOCTOR STRANGE SEASON ONE. It's a nice retelling of the origin story, though I'm not a huge Rios fan, and I thought the art was very loose -- others love her stuff. She's also the artist on this mini-series.

STRANGE THE DOCTOR IS OUT! by Mark Waid and Emma Rios
    http://www.amazon.com/Strange-Doctor...ange+mark+waid

DOCTOR STRANGE SEASON ONE by Greg Pak and Emma Rios
    http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Strange-Sea.../dp/0785163875

This is a big favorite with lots of people, but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet.

DOCTOR STRANGE THE OATH by Brian K Vaughn and Marcos Martin
    http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Strange..._bxgy_b_text_y

Heiro5 just endorsed this one, a few posts above.

DOCTOR STRANGE INTO THE DARK DIMENSION by Roger Stern and Paul Smith et. al
    http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Strange...WTV2VA50TQFYTA

I think Greg read this one and posted a few pages back. He found it a bit dark. I remember enjoying it when it first came out.

DOCTOR STRANGE: STRANGE TALES by Peter Gillis
    http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Strange-Tal...Y2KG4A9CNHJ3KZ

One of my all time favorite Strange or Doom stories. It has recently been released in paperback with a couple of other Doom and Strange stories, as well as Mignola's awesome Namor stories.

DOCTOR STRANGE & DOCTOR DOOM TRIUMPH AND TORMENT by Roger Stern and Mike Mignola
    http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Strange-Doo...d_bxgy_b_img_y

I linked Amazon, but I'd recommend In Stock Trades (http://www.instocktrades.com/) or Cheap Graphic Novels (https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/). Their prices are usually 25%+ less than Amazon and they pack exceedingly well. Their search engines aren't great, though, hence the Amazon links.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

There are some books out right now, but of course, there could always be more. If you want to start from the beginning, I think in the next month or two, Marvel is reprinting the hard to find MARVEL MASTERWORKS DOCTOR STRANGE VOL. 1 in hard cover. It's a bit pricey, $50, but you can find it discounted for half price usually, when it first comes out. I am snapping this baby up when it hits, even though I do have a hard to find paperback of this book. But this is definitely a Stan Lee, Steve Ditko Silver Age story, which may not be to everyone's taste, though I enjoy it. There are six volumes of Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange out, so a good start on his early stories. Of course, as you said, I expect an Omnibus of the first two MMW to come out before the movie.

If you want something immediately and modern, you could try the Greg Pak and Emma Rios DOCTOR STRANGE SEASON ONE. It's a nice retelling of the origin story, though I'm not a huge Rios fan, and I thought the art was very loose -- others love her stuff. She's also the artist on this mini-series.

STRANGE THE DOCTOR IS OUT! by Mark Waid and Emma Rios
    http://www.amazon.com/Strange-Doctor...ange+mark+waid

DOCTOR STRANGE SEASON ONE by Greg Pak and Emma Rios
    http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Strange-Sea.../dp/0785163875

This is a big favorite with lots of people, but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet.

DOCTOR STRANGE THE OATH by Brian K Vaughn and Marcos Martin
    http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Strange..._bxgy_b_text_y

Heiro5 just endorsed this one, a few posts above.

DOCTOR STRANGE INTO THE DARK DIMENSION by Roger Stern and Paul Smith et. al
    http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Strange...WTV2VA50TQFYTA

I think Greg read this one and posted a few pages back. He found it a bit dark. I remember enjoying it when it first came out.

DOCTOR STRANGE: STRANGE TALES by Peter Gillis
    http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Strange-Tal...Y2KG4A9CNHJ3KZ

One of my all time favorite Strange or Doom stories. It has recently been released in paperback with a couple of other Doom and Strange stories, as well as Mignola's awesome Namor stories.

DOCTOR STRANGE & DOCTOR DOOM TRIUMPH AND TORMENT by Roger Stern and Mike Mignola
    http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Strange-Doo...d_bxgy_b_img_y

I linked Amazon, but I'd recommend In Stock Trades (http://www.instocktrades.com/) or Cheap Graphic Novels (https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/). Their prices are usually 25%+ less than Amazon and they pack exceedingly well. Their search engines aren't great, though, hence the Amazon links.
    Stern and Paul Smith on a Dr. Strange book?!?!? PAUL SMITH! How did I not know about this? I'm a terrible Dr. Strange fan. Okay, First Rev . . . thank you. Second, I REALLY need to get on having a copy of this (also the Triumph and Torment that includes the Namor stories, because Namor + Doom + Strange = Jon wins).
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    Well, we finally have something about the movie.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2130574/kevi...-movie-future/

Feel this poor, forgotten thread needs a bit of a bump. I had hoped that they might do a little bit of filming before, but it does make sense to wait until after the play. We've waited this long, perhaps Marvel Comics might finally mention when he will finally get his own on-going.
    YES! I wish Marvel would get on the stick with the ongoing. I noticed today that Jeff Lemire appears to now be Marvel exclusive. I'm wondering, considering all his Nu52 DC work, if they are planning to tap him for the magic side of Marvel, starting with Doctor Strange?

I didn't read Animal Man, but I wasn't too wowed by his Frankenstein or his JL Dark. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't earth shaking, which is what I'd like to see with the new STrange book.

I'm sorry I've been neglecting this thread. I've been swamped and the Namor projects tend to get addressed first. ;p Though, I really would like to get back to talking about Tom Spurgeon's list. You guys have such great insights and info. Maybe I can do so tonite.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Warp Spasm View Post
    Agreed on both points. I love Marc's art.

I cancelled my Planet Hulk pre-order though, despite Marc's art and Cap / Stephen. Seems like it will read better in trade.

And Scott Derrickson's twitter is so much fun. Lots of little nods to Doctor Strange. I'll expect more now that they are location scouting in NY.
    Yeah, trade waiting seems more and more attractive when it comes to Secret Wars ... except the main event. I've stuck it out for over 3 years, so I'm going to be finish up following Hickman's story.

Lamming is the my main interest in that SW Planet Hulk.

I really need to get my Twitter account straightened up. Though another internet time sink really isn't necessary in my life. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Stern and Paul Smith on a Dr. Strange book?!?!? PAUL SMITH! How did I not know about this? I'm a terrible Dr. Strange fan. Okay, First Rev . . . thank you. Second, I REALLY need to get on having a copy of this (also the Triumph and Torment that includes the Namor stories, because Namor + Doom + Strange = Jon wins).
    Yep. I don't think he's doing all the art, as Bret Blevins is also listed, but still, Paul Smith.

I just got my copy of the new paperback Triumph and Torment. I double dipped for the Mike Mignola Namor issues. It also has several nice Dr. Strange & Doom pin ups from Marvel Fanfare, as well as Doctor Strange #57 and Gerry Conway's Astonishing Tales #8. Oh, and two of the Latverian travel ads. It really is well worth the $9 bucks.

Fantastic Member

[QUOTE=Reviresco;1100969]There are some books out right now, but of course, there could always be more. If you want to start from the beginning, I think in the next month or two, Marvel is reprinting the hard to find MARVEL MASTERWORKS DOCTOR STRANGE VOL. 1 in hard cover. It's a bit pricey, $50, but you can find it discounted for half price usually, when it first comes out. I am snapping this baby up when it hits, even though I do have a hard to find paperback of this book. But this is definitely a Stan Lee, Steve Ditko Silver Age story, which may not be to everyone's taste, though I enjoy it. There are six volumes of Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange out, so a good start on his early stories. Of course, as you said, I expect an Omnibus of the first two MMW to come out before the movie.

Nice to know I'm not the only one investing in the hard cover book, even though I also have the paperback. Man, I would love a good quality omnibus, even though I have the comics, I would like to keep them safe, but be able to read the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    Nice to know I'm not the only one investing in the hard cover book, even though I also have the paperback. Man, I would love a good quality omnibus, even though I have the comics, I would like to keep them safe, but be able to read the stories.
    I love the hardcovers, though I can't indulge in all the characters. But my favs, I try to buy in hardcover. I went with the paperback of the first two MMW volumes because the hardcovers were oop and waay too expensive for me. Like you, I may have the comics and I think the colors on them are better, and sometimes the inks, but it's so much easier to pull a book off the shelf, then it is to dig through my long boxes.

What makes an omnibus tempting, even though I have the MMW, is that the art is bigger than normal comic / MMW size. And with the great weird psychedelic art that is in Dr. Strange, that's a huge plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Just to bring things up to date, almost all of my Doctor Strange stories have been -- or are about to be -- reprinted in one form or another ...

My first three stories (DOCTOR STRANGE #27-29) are collected in Black-&-White in Essential Doctor Strange Volume 3.

The rest of my first run (through DOCTOR STRANGE #37) and the beginning of my second series of stories (starting with the short Michael Golden/Craig Russell 5-pager in DOCTOR STRANGE #46 and running through issue #56) are collected in Black-&-White in Essential Doctor Strange Volume 4.

That wraps it up for Black-&-White. Now, as for Color reprintings:

DOCTOR STRANGE #55 was reprinted in The Very Best of Marvel Comics.

DOCTOR STRANGE #56 was reprinted in The Best of Marvel Comics.

DOCTOR STRANGE #57 (with Kevin Nowlan's first art job for Marvel) was included in the Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment trade paperback.

DOCTOR STRANGE #58-62 were collected in Doctor Strange vs. Dracula: The Montesi Formula.

(DOCTOR STRANGE #63-64 were fill-ins, written by Carl Potts and Ann Nocenti, respectively. I don't believe they've been reprinted.)

DOCTOR STRANGE #65-67 have not yet been reprinted. (At least not in their entirety.)

DOCTOR STRANGE #68-74 were collected in Doctor Strange: Into the Dark Dimension.

DOCTOR STRANGE #75 will be collected in Doctor Strange: Don't Pay the Ferryman, which will go on sale in August 2015.

In addition, my Graphic Novel -- Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment -- was collected in 2013 in the aforementioned trade paperback of the same name.

My Doctor Strange short story with art by Charles Vess -- "The Showdown" -- which originally appeared in MARVEL FANFARE #6, was reprinted in Marvel Fanfare: Strange Tales.

DOCTOR STRANGE: FROM THE MARVEL VAULT #1 was collected in Tales From the Marvel Vault.

And UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN: STRANGE ENCOUNTERS (Co-Starring You-Know-Who) was collected in the Untold Tales of Spider-Man Omnibus.

I think that's all. So far.

-- Uncle Rog
    I am not on MySpace. I am not on Facebook. I am not LinkedIn. I do not "Tweet." But I do have an Author's Page.

Wow! Straight the man, himself! Thank you for the info, Uncle Rog!

Have you heard anything about your Doctor Strange run being collected in omnibus format?

I'd forgotten to mention the Essential, strictly from personal preference, as I like the color books. Though, now that I think about it, Doctor Strange, like Dracula, probably looks pretty good in black and white. The Essentials probably have the most consecutive issues of Doctor Strange in print, and they are usually affordable.