Page 52 of 116 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

It's great to see Roger Stern posting on CBR

I'd also like to mention Marvel Digital has expanded to the point where they do collections and not just single issues now. I don't recall seeing this option earlier this month in any case.

For $10, I got Doctor Strange: The Oath. They recently updated the viewer too and it is much better. I will have to check into the Dark Dimensions by Stern and see if they are offering that one too.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

I'd also like to mention Marvel Digital has expanded to the point where they do collections and not just single issues now. I don't recall seeing this option earlier this month in any case.

For $10, I got Doctor Strange: The Oath. They recently updated the viewer too and it is much better. I will have to check into the Dark Dimensions by Stern and see if they are offering that one too.
    It certainly is.

I also wonder what Doctor Strange is available on Marvel Unlimited?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

Truly great, and to get the rundown straight from the man himself . . . I feel pretty honored.

If the Marvel Digital viewer has improved sufficiently I may have to go back. When I cancelled my service a few years ago it was precisely because I was having chronic viewer issues.
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Truly great, and to get the rundown straight from the man himself . . . I feel pretty honored.

If the Marvel Digital viewer has improved sufficiently I may have to go back. When I cancelled my service a few years ago it was precisely because I was having chronic viewer issues.
    I think on the front page of the Marvel comics site (not the main home page), Marvel has some free comics that you might be able to test the viewer out with.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I hope they start releasing and reprinting some doctor strange collections close to when the movie comes out.
    I'm always on the lookout for a trade of Masterworks vol. 3!

This was one of the gorgeous pin ups reproduced for the new paperback edition of TRIUMPH AND TORMENT. Craig Hamilton is amazing.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

From today's July solicits:

DOCTOR STRANGE: DON’T PAY THE FERRYMAN TPB
    Written by ROGER STERN & PETER B. GILLIS
    Penciled by SAL BUSCEMA & CHRIS WARNER
    Cover by MIKE MIGNOLA
    Flames of the Faltine! Is it getting hot in here, or is it just Mephisto? When Doctor Strange joins Reed and Sue Richards in battle with the Lord of Lies, the enchanting sorceress Topaz is freed from hell. But half her soul remains in torment. Can Strange complete her — or will he fall prey first to a siren’s song? Or perhaps to a feral feline demon? With a key part of his costume clawed to pieces, Stephen’s going to need a new Cloak — but when the unholy Urthona strikes, he might need a new body, too! The old saying goes, “Don’t pay the ferryman until you get to the other side.” But before Strange can reach it, there might just be a new Sorcerer Supreme! Collecting DOCTOR STRANGE (1974) #75-81.
    176 PGS./Rated T …$24.99

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    This was one of the gorgeous pin ups reproduced for the new paperback edition of TRIUMPH AND TORMENT. Craig Hamilton is amazing.

yes that is lovely. I hope there is a quiet, tender moment like that somewhere in the movie. Thanks for posting.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Amazing Member

This is pretty old but the screenwriter for the movie posted this pic on Twitter, which I found was a pretty nice arranging job haha. I believe it's one of Lovecraft's short stories

Hi all,

Speaking of Triumph and Torment, there is a side discussion in the movie forum about the new Fantastic Four trailer. Some have asserted that Doom has powers via his use of magic. My thoughts on this is the practice of the mystic arts is a skill that requires knowledge and training over a period of time before you become adept. One is simply not endowed with a power to manipulate energy. You learn how to do this by invoking the proper spells. Doctor Doom may have a latent talent for practicing magic because of his mother but he still had to learn from several masters, Doctor Strange being one. Doctor Strange had no magical powers and neither of his parents practiced magic (unless this is a retcon somewhere!). He studied with the Ancient One. I like this aspect about both men because they are masters because of the work involved to acquire the skills to reach their level. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Warp Spasm View Post
    yes that is lovely. I hope there is a quiet, tender moment like that somewhere in the movie. Thanks for posting.
    That would be great! In part because it would require Clea be in the movie. Okay, maybe not, but _I_ require it.

You are welcome. I love this piece for the emotion and the graceful details. I hope whoever is doing the new ongoing art, it's done with this level of beauty. I would prefer not to have something cartoony.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry View Post
    This is pretty old but the screenwriter for the movie posted this pic on Twitter, which I found was a pretty nice arranging job haha. I believe it's one of Lovecraft's short stories

Wow. That is gorgeous too! Derrickson is certainly winning me over with his tweets. He's got great taste.

Fantastic Member

From all the things Derrickson posts you get the feeling that he likes things nuanced and artistic, which is exactly what I want from this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    From all the things Derrickson posts you get the feeling that he likes things nuanced and artistic, which is exactly what I want from this movie.
    This! Thank you for expressing what I feel, but didn't convey.

Just to be clear, the pretty Lovecraft quote (from Azathoth) was tweeted by Jon Spaihts, the screenwriter, not Scott Derrickson, the director. I was really pleased when Spaihts was brought on board as screenwriter. The original writers associated with the film were sub-par in my opinion. If this tweet is meant as a hint that the movie plot is going to take a Lovecraftian turn, I might have to get over the fact that I dislike Cumberbatch so much because I am a huge Lovecraft fan. Of course, Spaihts might have just used this particular quote because it's spooky and pretty, not because Strange will be facing down Lovecraftian eldritch horrors and abominations.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Just to be clear, the pretty Lovecraft quote (from Azathoth) was tweeted by Jon Spaihts, the screenwriter, not Scott Derrickson, the director. I was really pleased when Spaihts was brought on board as screenwriter. The original writers associated with the film were sub-par in my opinion. If this tweet is meant as a hint that the movie plot is going to take a Lovecraftian turn, I might have to get over the fact that I dislike Cumberbatch so much because I am a huge Lovecraft fan. Of course, Spaihts might have just used this particular quote because it's spooky and pretty, not because Strange will be facing down Lovecraftian eldritch horrors and abominations.
    I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Lovecraftian eldritch horrors and abominations.