Page 53 of 116 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Hi all,

Speaking of Triumph and Torment, there is a side discussion in the movie forum about the new Fantastic Four trailer. Some have asserted that Doom has powers via his use of magic. My thoughts on this is the practice of the mystic arts is a skill that requires knowledge and training over a period of time before you become adept. One is simply not endowed with a power to manipulate energy. You learn how to do this by invoking the proper spells. Doctor Doom may have a latent talent for practicing magic because of his mother but he still had to learn from several masters, Doctor Strange being one. Doctor Strange had no magical powers and neither of his parents practiced magic (unless this is a retcon somewhere!). He studied with the Ancient One. I like this aspect about both men because they are masters because of the work involved to acquire the skills to reach their level. Thoughts?
    I agree. I've never like the suddenly imbued with superior magical ability type of characters. There's something very appealing to me about rituals and rules for magic.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I agree. I've never like the suddenly imbued with superior magical ability type of characters. There's something very appealing to me about rituals and rules for magic.
    Me too. I dislike a character where being a magic wielder is their mutant power or someone gets magic power without even learning it.

Me too. I dislike a character where being a magic wielder is their mutant power or someone gets magic power without even learning it.
    I also love all the rhyming spells Dr. Strange did, which showed some sort of learning and practice was involved. When magic is nothing but pointing and 'magic' power blasts, then it doesn't seem that different from Iron Man's replusor blasts to me.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

From today's July solicits:

DOCTOR STRANGE: DON’T PAY THE FERRYMAN TPB
    Written by ROGER STERN & PETER B. GILLIS
    Penciled by SAL BUSCEMA & CHRIS WARNER
    Cover by MIKE MIGNOLA
    Flames of the Faltine! Is it getting hot in here, or is it just Mephisto? When Doctor Strange joins Reed and Sue Richards in battle with the Lord of Lies, the enchanting sorceress Topaz is freed from hell. But half her soul remains in torment. Can Strange complete her — or will he fall prey first to a siren’s song? Or perhaps to a feral feline demon? With a key part of his costume clawed to pieces, Stephen’s going to need a new Cloak — but when the unholy Urthona strikes, he might need a new body, too! The old saying goes, “Don’t pay the ferryman until you get to the other side.” But before Strange can reach it, there might just be a new Sorcerer Supreme! Collecting DOCTOR STRANGE (1974) #75-81.
    176 PGS./Rated T …$24.99
    Don't forget, the On-Sale Date is August 5, 2015, but the FINAL ORDER CUT-OFF DATE is JUNE 15, 2015!
    I am not on MySpace. I am not on Facebook. I am not LinkedIn. I do not "Tweet." But I do have an Author's Page.

I loved the earlier Dr. Strange stuff especially Ditko's run.

So are Wong and the Ancient One in the movie going to be played by east Asian dudes or is it going to be another Mandarin/Iron-Man3 type deal where Asians get short-changed again? Will Chiwetel Ejiofor play one of the two? Or maybe Cumberbatch will play the two Asian parts. He's played Asian before like in Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Thirded, thirded, thirded.
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Fantastic Member

Marvel will probably not want to shake up an audience unused to magic outside of wand-users, so I think the focus will be on a humanoid baddie. It would be nice to have us see Strange's "dimensional rounds" and deal with something Lovecraftian just to show the very different level of danger he faces on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    Marvel will probably not want to shake up an audience unused to magic outside of wand-users, so I think the focus will be on a humanoid baddie. It would be nice to have us see Strange's "dimensional rounds" and deal with something Lovecraftian just to show the very different level of danger he faces on a daily basis.
    I'd be good with hints of Shuma-Gorath or Dormammu in a first film while we spend most of our time seeing Mordo or somebody like him cause problems.
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Fantastic Member

Yes, I am also hoping to see just a little of Dormammu. Starting out a possible franchise with what could be considered Strange's greatest foe kind of limits things. Like they did with Thanos in Avengers, I hope to see hints, so people who don't know Strange's history get the feeling of just how bad things can get when this guy comes on the scene. I am obviously hoping for a couple of films devoted to this character, and want it well-paced.

Marvel does have a tendency to have other heroes in the "solo" films now, to give more characters time to shine, even if the soloist is the focus. With all the mayhem happening in the Marvel Universe, I could see Nightmare getting his hands on a traumatized hero, and that being part of Strange's story as well. Dances with Mordo in this world, and Nightmare in the dream world. Either could lead to the Astral plane, although I think it would be Mordo, and then to get our hints of Dormammu there.

Amazing Member

For reason I assumed that Nightmare would be the main villain for the movie, but there's that rumor floating around that it'll be Dormammu. Whatever may be I hope we get some casting news, I believe Cumberbatch is the only confirmed actor so far.

Ok, enough of me babbling about movies.
    It was kinda disappointing that we're not getting a short series in the Eye of Agamotto domain in Battleworld (unless it's that Punisher comic), seeing as pretty much all the other domains have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Stern View Post
    Don't forget, the On-Sale Date is August 5, 2015, but the FINAL ORDER CUT-OFF DATE is JUNE 15, 2015!
    Thank you for the heads up on that FOC date, Mr. Stern. I'm definitely looking forward to this collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry View Post
    It was kinda disappointing that we're not getting a short series in the Eye of Agamotto domain in Battleworld (unless it's that Punisher comic), seeing as pretty much all the other domains have one.
    Yes, this is yet another disappointment for me regarding Secret Wars. I can't believe the only story to come out of the Eye of Agamotto domain is a team up with the Punisher??? Ugh.

Anyone else think that Steve Ditko's true mastery showed with Dr. Strange rather than Spider-Man (which he's more known for)? I think the Lee/Ditko Dr. Strange era was just as important in diversifying the Marvel Universe as the Lee/Kirby Thor or Fantastic Four.

Add me to the list of readers who feel that the practice of mysticism is something learned and mastered.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I also love all the rhyming spells Dr. Strange did, which showed some sort of learning and practice was involved. When magic is nothing but pointing and 'magic' power blasts, then it doesn't seem that different from Iron Man's replusor blasts to me.
    Agreed 100%. Besides they're fun to read aloud too. I like that Stan and co. built up a new magic system for Stephen and I hope that will be used in future variations of the character.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Fantastic Member

I couldn't agree more that magic requires learning, dedication, and concentration. No wishing, pretty please. I get tired of characters being shown to be omnipotent just "because", and then people looking askance at what Strange does, after decades and decades (possibly centuries, if the writers remember Strange's actual comic) of practice and constant studying. The dude has earned it.

I agree Ditko is more known for Strange simply because he invented the look of the Astral Plane, which is unique and glorious.