Page 56 of 116 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Isn't it great that Hickman confirmed that the Dr. Strange on Battleworld is indeed the 616 Stephen Strange? I mean he is among the survivors of Earth 616!
    Aw man, I haven't gotten to read SW #2 yet, but this is great, great, great news!
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    For what, 4 issues? Doctor Strange has been Sorcerer Supreme for decades and over 100s of issues, and, as I said before, the leading magic user in the MU.

Exactly. I find Bendis' Strange pretty unrecognizable, both in personality and abilities. And I just find the idea of treating either Dr. Strange or Jericho Drumm as superheroes with 'power levels' vying against each other in a battleboard fashion to be missing the point entirely.
    THIS.

Isn't it great that Hickman confirmed that the Dr. Strange on Battleworld is indeed the 616 Stephen Strange? I mean he is among the survivors of Earth 616!
    Wonderful news, cannot wait to read this eventually.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

All-New Member

Really? Is that something from Secret Wars #2? I haven't read it yet, but slightly more excited if 616 Strange is in it.

...He hasn't really gotten to shine in events lately...

Amazing Member

I think it's cooler that Hickman confirmed he was a fan of Triumph and Torment

As for Strange in Secret Wars #2 (mild spoilers):

He's basically Doom's second (or third) in command, and seemed kinda OOC. Of course it's early in the event and we still know so little about Battleworld.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Berry View Post
    I think it's cooler that Hickman confirmed he was a fan of Triumph and Torment

As for Strange in Secret Wars #2 (mild spoilers):

He's basically Doom's second (or third) in command, and seemed kinda OOC. Of course it's early in the event and we still know so little about Battleworld.
    IMO, he's OOC for the same reason Sue and Valeria are -- spoilers:
    he's part of Doom's construct, i.e. Battleworld. We don't know how much he remembers or knows or how he became the Sheriff.
    end of spoilers
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Fantastic Member

After being stung so much, I am waiting for the story to be done, and if appealing at the end, I'll buy the trade. If you love Doom, it sounds like good times, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    After being stung so much, I am waiting for the story to be done, and if appealing at the end, I'll buy the trade. If you love Doom, it sounds like good times, though.
    Yes, I was going to add to my previous post, that I'm still shy of Hickman's take on Strange. Especially with his favorite, Doom, on the playing board. I do love Doom, and it's great to see him shine finally, but that's not always good news for my other favorites, especially in this story.

This second issue of Secret Wars, however, I did find enjoyable, mostly because it is an alternate universe and characters.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I've posted my theory elsewhere but I think Stephen is in on the group that is helping Doom keep the faith going in Battleworld. It might be like in the first Secret Wars where if Doom wasn't keeping conscious control of reality it could all just wink out of existence.

Yeah, that was great wasn't it? I'm sure people have seen me post elsewhere about meeting Hickman at C2 E2 but I did try and help you guys out with Doctor Strange (and Namor too). I showed him my color guides that I bought from eBay many years ago...it was probably one of my earliest purchases so maybe around 1999 -2000?
    He was delighted to see him and said they were the coolest things he had ever seen.

I did get to attend the Battleworlds panel and was one of the last people to get a question in on the Q&A. You couldn't ask any spoiler questions obviously. I asked him (and I sort of fumbled it a bit since I was never am good speaking in front of a crowd) if he saw them as similar in respect that they don't really have "powers" but are highly skilled, etc. He did quickly answer that they were friends and that they will have adventures together and then he just tossed in as a joke "and they love each other". Yikes the tumblr slash fan fic folks would go crazy over that one. LOL

Fantastic Member

Iron Maiden, I don't understand your statement about "They don't really have "powers" but are highly skilled." Are you talking about Strange and Doom, because I see them has having powers (and skill).

Iron Maiden, I don't understand your statement about "They don't really have "powers" but are highly skilled." Are you talking about Strange and Doom, because I see them has having powers (and skill).
    I think IM means that both Doom's and Strange's superhuman feats are the result of the application of learned knowledge by men who haven't in some way been mutated. This in contrast to individuals born with superhuman powers (e.g. Namor or any other mutant), or who acquire them following exposure to unusual phenomena (e.g. Spider-Man, Hulk), or who receive a power item that they couldn't necessarily have conceived nor developed themselves (e.g. Quasar, Don Blake as Thor, etc)
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I don't. Dr Strange knew nothing about the world of magic and would have scoffed at it had he not been desperate to get his hands back to normal. He had to learn magic in order to use it.
    The same with Victor. Oh, he may be more open to the mystical world from an early age (see Books of Doom) but it was when he found his mother's trunk of arcana after his father dies that he began to teach himself the mystic arts.

See below..

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    I think IM means that both Doom's and Strange's superhuman feats are the result of the application of learned knowledge by men who haven't in some way been mutated. This in contrast to individuals born with superhuman powers (e.g. Namor or any other mutant), or who acquire them following exposure to unusual phenomena (e.g. Spider-Man, Hulk), or who receive a power item that they couldn't necessarily have conceived nor developed themselves (e.g. Quasar, Don Blake as Thor, etc)
    Exactly. I think anyone that has access to the tools has the potential to be a sorcerer in the MU. Fiction is filled with stories of people seeking out forbidden knowledge and in this respect Victor and Stephen are similar. It should have been obvious but to me it was an "oh yeah why didn't I think of that" moment when Roger Stern makes the connection in the GN Triumph and Torment. But IMO neither Victor nor Stephen could do magic until they studied it. They didn't display any weird powers as children. But perhaps it's because of who they are and their life experiences that they are better they are at the top tier among humans. (as opposed to magical beings)

Fantastic Member

While I absolutely see both as learning their powers, I do think there is an innate potential as well. As lazy as people are, with short cuts being most desired, there would be hundreds of thousands of magic users around Marvel. There is more a tendency to use science, which can be stolen, than to use magic. I would certain study a few books just to get myself a parking space at work.

Good point about Doom and Strange not having 'powers' but gaining abilities via their learning and skills. Hadn't thought of that before.

While I absolutely see both as learning their powers, I do think there is an innate potential as well. As lazy as people are, with short cuts being most desired, there would be hundreds of thousands of magic users around Marvel. There is more a tendency to use science, which can be stolen, than to use magic. I would certain study a few books just to get myself a parking space at work.
    See, I don't see lazy people being successful at magic, even at the cantrip level. Magic requires study and practice, discipline and will power, IMO. I do agree that some people have greater potential than others, but that applies to every career / skill / talent. That's not the same as just being 'given' superpowers at birth or by accident.

What are you guys thoughts on Tilda Swinton in talks to be cast as the Ancient One?

Ultimate Member

I'm actually intrigued by it. Tilda has a somewhat androgynous appearance at times, plus a brilliant actress, so I'm curious to see who she'd even play TAO? Maybe MCU TAO is even more "mystical" than his CB counterpart.