Page 8 of 116 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

When you are working with a very finite amount of information it isn't hard to think alike Wait (and hope) for when Strange gets to do more than just be in the background firing a bolt at something and then we might diverge.

I have a dreamed of scene in the MCU when Iron Man meets Strange, and comments on him copying his look, and Stephen answering something like "I've had this beard longer than you've been shaving." I admittedly didn't read Iron Man before the MCU, so I can't verify this, but it seems Tony Stark only got the goatee after RDJ looked so good in it. So they really ripped off Strange's look, IMHO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    When you are working with a very finite amount of information it isn't hard to think alike Wait (and hope) for when Strange gets to do more than just be in the background firing a bolt at something and then we might diverge.

I have a dreamed of scene in the MCU when Iron Man meets Strange, and comments on him copying his look, and Stephen answering something like "I've had this beard longer than you've been shaving." I admittedly didn't read Iron Man before the MCU, so I can't verify this, but it seems Tony Stark only got the goatee after RDJ looked so good in it. So they really ripped off Strange's look, IMHO.
    Oh, you're much kinder than I. I imagine a scene where Tony's goatee leaves his face and starts wandering around his body. Every morning it's in a different place. heh

Well, yes, there's that. But I'm hopeful. For once, Marvel's obsession with the movies is going to pay off for a character I like. The comics will be pushing Dr. Strange pretty soon.

Seeing those pages by Alan Davis again makes me wistful as I think of his debut arc in Savage Hulk...if magic is too difficult to do in MU continuity, but Marvel wants to give Doc a higher profile..I wish they would do a book like Savage Hulk/Savage Wolverine instead, get good creators to tell their Doc stories and not worry about continuity. Get an Alan Davis, a Jim Starlin, a Jock or what have you to tell their 3-5 part Doc story and get Doc's profile up but not worry about how it affects your plans for the larger MU. Just tell good stories well drawn by top talent...call it Mystic Hands of Strange. Books of the Vishanti, or some such and get Doc back out there on a regular basis. See if you can get a Ditko or a Steranko to do a variant for the first issue let it make a splash...

-M

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Seeing those pages by Alan Davis again makes me wistful as I think of his debut arc in Savage Hulk...if magic is too difficult to do in MU continuity, but Marvel wants to give Doc a higher profile..I wish they would do a book like Savage Hulk/Savage Wolverine instead, get good creators to tell their Doc stories and not worry about continuity. Get an Alan Davis, a Jim Starlin, a Jock or what have you to tell their 3-5 part Doc story and get Doc's profile up but not worry about how it affects your plans for the larger MU. Just tell good stories well drawn by top talent...call it Mystic Hands of Strange. Books of the Vishanti, or some such and get Doc back out there on a regular basis. See if you can get a Ditko or a Steranko to do a variant for the first issue let it make a splash...

-M
    That's an intriguing idea and it could be really gorgeous. Though, do those books sell well? I didn't think they were that popular. I fall back on the idea that was floated a while back, that Marvel needs to do a big magic event, with Strange front and center, similar to the cosmic side's Annihilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    That's an intriguing idea and it could be really gorgeous. Though, do those books sell well? I didn't think they were that popular. I fall back on the idea that was floated a while back, that Marvel needs to do a big magic event, with Strange front and center, similar to the cosmic side's Annihilation.
    Yeah except they tried that alongside the first Annihilation, albeit in a much more limited scope and it died on the vine, and in Marvel economy of the 21st century, it's strike one and you're out on that kind of thing. Savage Wolverine settled to a low-to mid-tier seller, and it's too early to see Savage Hulk numbers, but Savage Wolvie did well enough to get a sister Hulk title green lit.

Edited to add..and such an event doesn't overcome the we can't do magic until we have a logical system for the entire MU stumbling block that seems to be the major obstacle thrown out whenever a Strange book is asked about...
    Last edited by MRP; 05-30-2014 at 09:12 PM.

we can't do magic until we have a logical system for the entire MU stumbling block that seems to be the major obstacle thrown out whenever a Strange book is asked about...
    Before the forums were rebooted, some in this thread that was thought Jim Butcher would be a good candidate to create a system of magic for Marvel. I think that's his name. I can't remember what show has been adapted from his work, but I know I haven't watched it lol.

Anyway, given that Marvel has repeatedly cited the murkiness of the rules of magic in the MU as a stumbling block, they should definitely hire someone (the right someone, we could only hope) to create those guidelines and an in house bible for them.

Fantastic Member

Jim Butcher writes the Harry Dresden books. No where what we are used to with Strange, power wise, but he does have rules and consequences for the characters. I would be okay with someone like him coming up with a structure to magic, if only to silence all the people who trot out the whole deus ex machina thing when powerful magic is used. (though they remain silent when science is not limited by resources, cost or time, sigh). I wiuld like there to be some consistency between writers, so would happily embrace rules. As long as the rules indicate that magic isn't just something you do, like optic bolts. That it requires practice, intelligence,is affected by your physical, mental and emotional states. That would be an easy way to down grade powers in stories when needed. The character is simply exhausted by no downtime to be able to bring their big guns, but when needed, and they've rested, they can kick just about anyones ass.

Ultimate Member

Jim Butcher writes the Harry Dresden books. No where what we are used to with Strange, power wise, but he does have rules and consequences for the characters. I would be okay with someone like him coming up with a structure to magic, if only to silence all the people who trot out the whole deus ex machina thing when powerful magic is used. (though they remain silent when science is not limited by resources, cost or time, sigh). I wiuld like there to be some consistency between writers, so would happily embrace rules. As long as the rules indicate that magic isn't just something you do, like optic bolts. That it requires practice, intelligence,is affected by your physical, mental and emotional states. That would be an easy way to down grade powers in stories when needed. The character is simply exhausted by no downtime to be able to bring their big guns, but when needed, and they've rested, they can kick just about anyones ass.
    Good points.

My favorite Strange is when he's sticking to the old classic Marvel magic 'rules,' with the three power sources, and the standard invocations to Cytorrak, Agamotto, Watoomb, etc. Once he's just arbitrarily doing stuff, it becomes harder to write for him, and therefore less likely that he'll be used well, or, at all. One writer will have him hand out teleportation rings with global range to a fellow Defender because he's tired of having to teleport him around all the time, another will have him unable to teleport across the street because the writer wants the team to have a lively discussion in the quinjet.

If he had more standardized abilities, then the writers could make use of him without having to 'pull a Sentry' and come up with a new excuse every time he appears for why he can't do whatever it was he did last time he appeared (because it would circumvent the entire story), and if the writer doesn't want to deal with those abilities, he can freaking use someone else, like Daimon Hellstrom or Brother Voodoo, for his magic character, and not massively downgrade *the Sorcerer Supreme* because his storyline isn't written to accommodate a character who, for decades, has been able to credibly hang out with cosmic level characters like the Silver Surfer.

What a page...

Doctor Strange #1, June 1974
    Frank Brunner and Steve Englehart

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

LOL I like that Strange - Iron Man comment. I do agree about IM and RDJr. Reminds me of the excellent and fun two issue story where Mike Grell wrote Warlord meeting Green Arrow (and the comment that Grell drew all of his men with the same goatee etc.) - still a hoot.

-M
    I'd definitely like a Doc book like Savage Wolverine. That's a terrific idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Good points.

My favorite Strange is when he's sticking to the old classic Marvel magic 'rules,' with the three power sources, and the standard invocations to Cytorrak, Agamotto, Watoomb, etc. Once he's just arbitrarily doing stuff, it becomes harder to write for him, and therefore less likely that he'll be used well, or, at all. One writer will have him hand out teleportation rings with global range to a fellow Defender because he's tired of having to teleport him around all the time, another will have him unable to teleport across the street because the writer wants the team to have a lively discussion in the quinjet.

If he had more standardized abilities, then the writers could make use of him without having to 'pull a Sentry' and come up with a new excuse every time he appears for why he can't do whatever it was he did last time he appeared (because it would circumvent the entire story), and if the writer doesn't want to deal with those abilities, he can freaking use someone else, like Daimon Hellstrom or Brother Voodoo, for his magic character, and not massively downgrade *the Sorcerer Supreme* because his storyline isn't written to accommodate a character who, for decades, has been able to credibly hang out with cosmic level characters like the Silver Surfer.
    Smart and an easy way not to downgrade Strange.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by heiro5 View Post
    What a page...

Doctor Strange #1, June 1974
    Frank Brunner and Steve Englehart

AMAZING page, both the art and the words. Thank you for posting that.

I always was interested in Stephen Strange since seeing him in the Marvel cartoon and the animated movie, and since reading the Masterworks volumes of Dr. Strange on the side, I'm just going through them like mad. Fingers crossed for a new ongoing, soon.

BANNED

Strange definitely needs a new mini series...

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Series please... and before the movie gets greenlit.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Well, I finally read it, and I have to yes, it did make Strange look somewhat dumb. I mean, he's a doctor! I think he'd recognize a bullet hole, even it was giant sized.

It does seem to be moving along a bit slow, but to be fair, Aaron's got several groups going off in different directions, and that is going to slow things down. Plus, we have basically heard ahead of time that these things are happening, so that makes it seem like nothing 'new' is happening.

Excellent point! It goes back to the idea of characters should have their own storylines advanced in some fashion, instead of doing nothing but supporting others. Or at least give them a fair share of the book to DO something important to the plot.

No, I don't think that's what Brevroot meant. But he's not going to have any choice, now that Strange is going to get a movie. I understand what you mean about lowering expectations, and just for STrange, but we just have to be a little more patient.
    Yeah I was not thinking about that but that is true as a doctor he should recognize a bullet entry wound.

Yeah....

I just think it boils down to most marvel writers not knowing what do with magic.

Yeah he has gotten his name dropped even though I am not totally sure why he would be a threat in WS if from what I heard he aint going to start as a practitioner of magic. I guess they could do a period piece though.