Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Justice League #30 SPOILERS On 2 Aspects of the New 52 Wonder Woman

From www.latimesherocomplex.com

1.) I think this confirms that Dr. Psycho is still a Wonder Woman rogue.

2.) Chaining Wonder Woman's bracelets together appears to neutralize her(probably in Pre-Crisis fashion). I think this works well in that if the bracelets come off, she's amped up but if you chain them together, she's a regular Amazon.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 05-18-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    From www.latimesherocomplex.com

1.) I think this confirms that Dr. Psycho is still a Wonder Woman rogue.

2.) Chaining Wonder Woman's bracelets together appears to neutralize her(probably in Pre-Crisis fashion). I think this works well in that if the bracelets come off, she's amped up but if you chain them together, she's a regular Amazon.
    Mmm...not sure about this. 'Chaining' could still mean something else, I hope it does xD I don't like her to have again that weakness <.<
    If she has to have that, at least the 'chains' have to be special. Just hold together her bracelets...? No, thanks <.<

On the other hand her bracelets are already cuffs since they block her godly power. Maybe other magic bracelets which takes away even more of her power? Or chaining could still be figurative...
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

The wording is pretty vague so i was just taking a guess at what chaining the bracelets could accomplish. I hope it's explained more soon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member

1. Dr. Psycho still being a WW villain, good.

2. Oh please don't bring back the "bracelets" weakness again. That's one of the stupidest weaknesses possible and I had hoped that we were long past it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    1. Dr. Psycho still being a WW villain, good.
    I think I'm missing whatever implies that Dr. Psycho is specifically a WW villain. Is it that all of the other villains line up with other specific members? I didn't recognize all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath
    On the other hand her bracelets are already cuffs since they block her godly power. Maybe other magic bracelets which takes away even more of her power? Or chaining could still be figurative...
    I can imagine binding the bracelets as a kind of ritual that "turns up" the power-suppressing function of the bracelets so that it blocks all her power, not just some. But maybe she has to actively choose to allow this to happen (e.g., because otherwise a hostage will be killed or something). That would sort of go with the idea that the bracelets are intended partly as a way of tool to help her hold her power back.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-18-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    I think I'm missing whatever implies that Dr. Psycho is specifically a WW villain. Is it that all of the other villains line up with other specific members? I didn't recognize all of them.

Yes:

Livewire/Superman or Luthor
    Clayface/Batman
    Scavenger/Aquaman
    Tattooed Man/Green Lantern
    Dr. Alchemy/Flash or Captain Cold
    Dr. Psycho/Wonder Woman

I can imagine binding the bracelets as a kind of ritual that "turns up" the power-suppressing function of the bracelets so that it blocks all her power, not just some. But maybe she has to actively choose to allow this to happen (e.g., because otherwise a hostage will be killed or something). That would sort of go with the idea that the bracelets are intended partly as a way of tool to help her hold her power back.
    Ok...If she has to actively choose to allow this, I can accept... The just chain them together, though, no <.<
    Anyway, I would like more if the informations of the Secret Society are wrong about her xD Can't it be that they believe that by removing her bracelets they will take away her powers, and then...surprise!
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 05-18-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Astonishing Member

Yes:

Livewire/Superman or Luthor
    Clayface/Batman
    Scavenger/Aquaman
    Tattooed Man/Green Lantern
    Dr. Alchemy/Flash or Captain Cold
    Dr. Psycho/Wonder Woman
    OK, thanks. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    Ok...If she has to actively choose to allow this, I can accept... The just chain them together, though, no <.<
    Anyway, I would like more if the informations of the Secret Society are wrong about her xD Can't it be that they believe that by removing her bracelets they will take away her powers, and then...surprise!

Now THAT would be hilarious!

OK, thanks. Cool.

You're welcome. I must say I find it oddly peculiar that I was the one taking a sort of "leap of faith" in this matter while you were the one looking for concrete proof of sorts. I thought you were the one with the "reach" of Plastic Man?

Now THAT would be hilarious!
    Maybe if that's not the case, she can still trick someone to take her bracelets off to free herself xD

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I'm intrigued by the idea of "chaining" Wonder Woman.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the bracelets thing, but the idea that there may be some magical ritual or spell out there that can produce the same effect would be interesting.

I'm a fan of heroes having power loss weaknesses, and while I'll admit the bracelets thing isn't the best version of it in the world, I really like the idea of there being SOMETHING that a less-powerful rogue can do against Diana.

But yeah, I don't think it'll be the bracelets weakness. It'll probably be more of a binding spell or ritual or some such. It's a fine idea, it just needs a modern touch.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ultimate Member

Oh I don't have a problem with her having some kind of weakness that a less-powerful villain can exploit. It's no different than Lex Luthor using Kryptonite to weaken Superman. I just don't like THIS version of it. I find the idea that all it takes to render her powerless is to slap her bracelets together to be stupid and borderline misogynistic. If it were some kind of ancient artifact, or some kind of magical spell/incantation, or something else along those lines, then fine that could actually work.
    Last edited by Punisher007; 05-18-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Astonishing Member

What did people here think of Wonder Woman's one line in the preview, "Now, who wants to surrender?" While I think it makes her sounds a bit like a game show host, I like that it's less savage than Johns has sometimes written her; at least she's the one offering a chance to surrender.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Oh I don't have a problem with her having some kind of weakness that a less-powerful villain can exploit. It's no different than Lex Luthor using Kryptonite to weaken Superman. I just don't like THIS version of it. I find the idea that all it takes to render her powerless is to slap her bracelets together to be stupid and borderline misogynistic.
    Yes, that's why I think that, if this thing is for real, it'll probably take a different form then the old (as you say) "slap her bracelets together" trick of yore.

Like I said, it's a good concept, but it needs a modern revamp.

Plus? There's always a chance that this is a load of crap anyway. Someone mentioned once that, during Diana's biker look days, a group of supervillains managed to knock Diana out and had a male minion chain her wrists together, THINKING that it would depower her. Problem was? They'd been misinformed. That weakness was long gone, and Diana woke up and broke out of her restraints easily. This could easily be a similar story: the bad guys somehow THINK they can depower her by chaining her.....only to find out they are tragically mistaken.

Unfortunately, I won't actually be following this story, nor will I be posting on any future Justice League discussion threads. This issue launches Geoff Johns' "Lex Luthor Glorification Agenda" for the next two years, so I won't be following Justice League until Luthor is gone from the team. I just saw the main preview and the site of Lex Luthor standing at the head of the Justice League just about made me puke.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--