Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Justice League #30 SPOILERS On 2 Aspects of the New 52 Wonder Woman

From www.latimesherocomplex.com

1.) I think this confirms that Dr. Psycho is still a Wonder Woman rogue.

2.) Chaining Wonder Woman's bracelets together appears to neutralize her(probably in Pre-Crisis fashion). I think this works well in that if the bracelets come off, she's amped up but if you chain them together, she's a regular Amazon.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 05-18-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

2.) Chaining Wonder Woman's bracelets together appears to neutralize her(probably in Pre-Crisis fashion). I think this works well in that if the bracelets come off, she's amped up but if you chain them together, she's a regular Amazon.
    Mmm...not sure about this. 'Chaining' could still mean something else, I hope it does xD I don't like her to have again that weakness <.<
    If she has to have that, at least the 'chains' have to be special. Just hold together her bracelets...? No, thanks <.<

On the other hand her bracelets are already cuffs since they block her godly power. Maybe other magic bracelets which takes away even more of her power? Or chaining could still be figurative...
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

The wording is pretty vague so i was just taking a guess at what chaining the bracelets could accomplish. I hope it's explained more soon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Ultimate Member

1. Dr. Psycho still being a WW villain, good.

2. Oh please don't bring back the "bracelets" weakness again. That's one of the stupidest weaknesses possible and I had hoped that we were long past it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I think I'm missing whatever implies that Dr. Psycho is specifically a WW villain. Is it that all of the other villains line up with other specific members? I didn't recognize all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath
    On the other hand her bracelets are already cuffs since they block her godly power. Maybe other magic bracelets which takes away even more of her power? Or chaining could still be figurative...
    I can imagine binding the bracelets as a kind of ritual that "turns up" the power-suppressing function of the bracelets so that it blocks all her power, not just some. But maybe she has to actively choose to allow this to happen (e.g., because otherwise a hostage will be killed or something). That would sort of go with the idea that the bracelets are intended partly as a way of tool to help her hold her power back.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-18-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    I think I'm missing whatever implies that Dr. Psycho is specifically a WW villain. Is it that all of the other villains line up with other specific members? I didn't recognize all of them.

Yes:

Livewire/Superman or Luthor
    Clayface/Batman
    Scavenger/Aquaman
    Tattooed Man/Green Lantern
    Dr. Alchemy/Flash or Captain Cold
    Dr. Psycho/Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post

I can imagine binding the bracelets as a kind of ritual that "turns up" the power-suppressing function of the bracelets so that it blocks all her power, not just some. But maybe she has to actively choose to allow this to happen (e.g., because otherwise a hostage will be killed or something). That would sort of go with the idea that the bracelets are intended partly as a way of tool to help her hold her power back.
    Ok...If she has to actively choose to allow this, I can accept... The just chain them together, though, no <.<
    Anyway, I would like more if the informations of the Secret Society are wrong about her xD Can't it be that they believe that by removing her bracelets they will take away her powers, and then...surprise!
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 05-18-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

2. Oh please don't bring back the "bracelets" weakness again. That's one of the stupidest weaknesses possible and I had hoped that we were long past it.
    Agreed on both counts.

Besides, didnt Johns have Batman tell us that there is no Kryptonite for Diana? Now there is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I'm intrigued by the idea of "chaining" Wonder Woman.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the bracelets thing, but the idea that there may be some magical ritual or spell out there that can produce the same effect would be interesting.

I'm a fan of heroes having power loss weaknesses, and while I'll admit the bracelets thing isn't the best version of it in the world, I really like the idea of there being SOMETHING that a less-powerful rogue can do against Diana.

But yeah, I don't think it'll be the bracelets weakness. It'll probably be more of a binding spell or ritual or some such. It's a fine idea, it just needs a modern touch.
    I really like your version. Much, much better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Besides, didnt Johns have Batman tell us that there is no Kryptonite for Diana?
    There could be two reasons for that: 1. Batman doesn't know everything (Could it be???) or 2. there could be a weakness that came along with becoming god of war. If there's a "magical ritual or spell" like Vanguard was supposing, maybe it's an ancient defense against War. That would have to mean that the Society's information is very current, since she just became god of war; but we don't know their sources, so it could be.

BANNED

1. Yes, Dr. Psycho is still a Wonder Woman villain. 2. Yes, chaining the bracelets together neutralizes her powers. Now, I got to get this issue, and thank Azz for bringing this concept as a possibility and DC for bringing it back. I'm subscribing to Justice League 30 now. Hopefully, this issue will confirm the weakness in explicit detail.

BANNED

If only Batman knew, he'd have something to put in his little box and wouldn't need to count on Superman beating up his girlfriend if she ever goes nuts...

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    If only Batman knew, he'd have something to put in his little box and wouldn't need to count on Superman beating up his girlfriend if she ever goes nuts...
    As I said earlier, it remains to be seen if the "chain her bracelets" weakness is what Dr. Psycho is talking about.

I see three possible scenarios.

1.) Johns IS about to bring back the bracelet-chaining. In which case, he'd better be ready for a pretty severe backlash because a lot of Wonder Woman fans don't like that weakness.

2.) Dr. Psycho's talk of "chaining Wonder Woman" refers to some NEW way to neutralize her powers. A binding spell, some kind of ritual, or maybe just a unique magical restraint device that can de-power her. This is the scenario I'd like best. I think Diana should have some kind of exploitable weakness to let weaker villains actually have a chance against her, but the bracelet trick has some not-so-nice connotations to it.

3.) It's possible that this whole thing is a crock. I haven't been able to find the issue, but pre-Flashpoint, there was one story where Diana was taken down by some villains who THOUGHT that having a man chain her bracelets would de-power her. As we all know, that weakness disappeared post-Crisis, so those villains were tragically mistaken. Diana woke up and broke out of her restraints with the greatest of ease. They could do the same thing here: Dr. Psycho BELIEVES that chaining Diana will de-power her, but if he actually tries it, he may be in for a rude awakening.

As far as Batman? Well, it's easy to say that he's just never seen Diana "chained" as Psycho describes. Thus? He can't prepare for something about which he doesn't know. Second? Even if the bracelet-chaining weakness is coming back, that weakness really only worked for Wonder Woman when she was nowhere near as strong, fast, and tough as she is today. Batman can't realistically chain Diana's bracelets himself. He grabs her wrists, tries to force them together and slap on the cuffs? He can't even budge her arms and Diana flattens him. So it still isn't a perfect solution for Diana anyway. It'll take someone as strong as her or stronger to successfully restrain her.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--