View Poll Results: HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE SUPERMAN 2000 PROPOSAL?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Damn you DC!!! Why can't we have nice things?

14 30.43%
  • A missed opportunity. What could have been!!!

21 45.65%
  • Skeptical. Still would have liked to have seen it play out for awhile.

9 19.57%
  • Bullet dodged. I liked things how they turned out for Superman.

7 15.22%
  • Meh. Whatever. Don't care. When is the next issue of Pak's Action out?

1 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

I remember the first week in 1999, I was walking on air. On New Year's Day I had gone to one of the local comic shops for their annual sale. I had picked up what I considered good deals on some vintage comics, some ARCHIVES and TPBs for a fraction of the cover price--and THE KINGDOM No. 2. I read that last comic on the bus after I left the store. And when I finished it, the skies were blue, the horizon ahead was endless, the sun was shining bright and all was right with the world. I felt a kind of joy and optimism about comics that I hadn't felt in a good ten years. Everything was possible.

But by a week later, the Internet had spoken. THE KINGDOM wasn't good. Hypertime was the worst thing that could ever happen. This wouldn't be the first time the Internet had killed my dreams and wouldn't be the last, but this is the time I learned that lesson most resoundingly. Yes Hypertime hung around for awhile and a few good stories came out of it, but it never was the great new dawn I hoped and believed it would be in that first week of 1999.

So this is why I have a hard time believing that, even if the Superman 2000 proposal had materialized, it would have been embraced by fandom, been supported by DC and lasted for any significant period.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I remember the first week in 1999, I was walking on air. On New Year's Day I had gone to one of the local comic shops for their annual sale. I had picked up what I considered good deals on some vintage comics, some ARCHIVES and TPBs for a fraction of the cover price--and THE KINGDOM No. 2. I read that last comic on the bus after I left the store. And when I finished it, the skies were blue, the horizon ahead was endless, the sun was shining bright and all was right with the world. I felt a kind of joy and optimism about comics that I hadn't felt in a good ten years. Everything was possible.

But by a week later, the Internet had spoken. THE KINGDOM wasn't good. Hypertime was the worst thing that could ever happen. This wouldn't be the first time the Internet had killed my dreams and wouldn't be the last, but this is the time I learned that lesson most resoundingly. Yes Hypertime hung around for awhile and a few good stories came out of it, but it never was the great new dawn I hoped and believed it would be in that first week of 1999.

So this is why I have a hard time believing that, even if the Superman 2000 proposal had materialized, it would have been embraced by fandom, been supported by DC and lasted for any significant period.
    The fans never embrace anything. Until it's over, then every one is all about how great it was and why can't modern comics be more like that, or whatever. Fans are sadly very predictable.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    Hey, I've said much more than one positive thing about Man of Steel! Great casting, great SFX, unique take on Krypton, beautiful Golden Age-esque \S/ shield.

That's what makes that movie so painful for me...there was so much good there, but IMO, it was overshadowed by the bad.

Back to the Superman 2000 pitch, my feeling is that if editorial could have got it past Carlin, it would have lasted until DiDio came aboard. He would have quickly dismantled the work these guys were doing, because I seem to recall that DiDio and Waid have no love for one another. I could be wrong on that, however.

I'd have loved to see it, as it would have been the infusion of interest and innovation the Superman titles needed to avoid the seemingly countless reboots and tweaks that began with Loeb and continued through to the New 52.
    Didio and waid problems came later, Didio even indicate Waid to be a EIC or something like that

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Wait...are we a clique? A while back someone (The World maybe?) said something about us being "the in crowd". Are we the cool kids on the Super-forum? Lol
    I guess so by default.

Lexrules is our crazy uncle hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    The fans never embrace anything. Until it's over, then every one is all about how great it was and why can't modern comics be more like that, or whatever. Fans are sadly very predictable.
    Yeah. Sadly true. The irony, had Hypertime been a hit, we likely would have never had the New 52....or at least what it ended up being.

Thus, I hope that with CONVERGENCE, we see that concept folded back into the ongoing narrative.

As I said in my initial post, I would have likely had been one of the folk who would have lost his sh!t if the SUPERMAN 2000 pitch became reality, pretty much because I had no real exposure to the Pre-Crisis Superman beyond the most ancilliary terms, and most of the reason for that was I wrongfully assumed that if they had rebooted Superman in 1986, that meant the previous version was bad or "wrong", and thus I would have been offended that any creator would want to bring that back and reverse any aspect of MY Superman. Of course this was before I saw the light and was able to put the Post Crisis Superman into proper context with his prior incarnations. Time is the ultimate teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Yeah. Sadly true. The irony, had Hypertime been a hit, we likely would have never had the New 52....or at least what it ended up being.

Thus, I hope that with CONVERGENCE, we see that concept folded back into the ongoing narrative.

As I said in my initial post, I would have likely had been one of the folk who would have lost his sh!t if the SUPERMAN 2000 pitch became reality, pretty much because I had no real exposure to the Pre-Crisis Superman beyond the most ancilliary terms, and most of the reason for that was I wrongfully assumed that if they had rebooted Superman in 1986, that meant the previous version was bad or "wrong", and thus I would have been offended that any creator would want to bring that back and reverse any aspect of MY Superman. Of course this was before I saw the light and was able to put the Post Crisis Superman into proper context with his prior incarnations. Time is the ultimate teacher.
    Agreed and co-signed.

By the late 90's I was getting real tired of the Super-books and looking for a change, but I hadn't quite started digging into the pre-Crisis stuff at that point beyond the classics everyone has read, like "For the Man Who Has Everything..." and "Whatever Happened...?"

I like to believe that, being an open minded and intelligent individual, I would have read the 2000 stuff, recognized its brilliance, and embraced it wholeheartedly. However, odds are I would have been on the DCMB ranting and raving about nostalgia and old fanboys dragging back a failed version of MY character.

Sometimes I'd like to go back and kick past-me in the ass.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Anytime someone has a good idea for Superman, I say use it. Now if we lost All Star Superman out of this, or had it by another artist? I say it worked out better as it did. Also, Waid's Superman in Birthright is great, but I prefer Busiek's run. That felt Like a married Bronze Age Superman comic. I prefer it over Johns run.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 03-13-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Anytime someone has a good idea for Superman, I say use it. Now if we lost All Star Superman out of this, or had it by another artist? I say it worked out better as it did. Also, Waid's Superman in Birthright is great, but I prefer Busiek's run. That felt Like a married Bronze Age Superman comic. I prefer it over Johns run.
    I agree. Kurt Busiek's SUPERMAN run was a dream to read. Pity he left for TRINITY. I really wish he had stuck around for NEW KRYPTON.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I need to reread what few issues of Trinity I kept up with, everything felt a little undercooked.

I still remember Paul Levitz's angry response to that proposal; "super-stars don't work on the super-books".
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    I'm offended that I'm not on this list.

Come to think of it, I should also be on that list.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Come to think of it, I should also be on that list.
    Sigh. OK you too....but NO ONE ELSE!!!! The bus can only hold so many....

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Let's see which of the Superman 2000 changes have in fact actually been implemented, and which haven't. Feel free to remind me of any I'm forgetting.

Superman listening to the neural crackle of his parents changing their minds: A moment in Waid's JLA
    Superman's Power Tripling: All-Star
    Laid-back super-compassionate Superman: All-Star
    No underwear: Morrison's Action
    Jor-El and Lara not knowing about Earth, or even for sure if Kal will make it: Birthright
    Clark as disguise: All-Star/Birthright
    Superman as Vegetarian: Birthright, and Morrison has confirmed in interview that this is implicitly his take as well
    Lois and Clark sniping, dinner in the Titanic: All-Star, Titanic appears in the Fortress in Red Son
    Identity being revealed and magical undoing of marriage: One More Day
    Superman having a climatic battle with an army of supervillains under a red sun, demanding Mxy's help: Morrison's Action
    Mxy can only cause mischief in the 3rd dimension: Implied in Waid's Brave and the Bold by way of Mxyzptlk's anti-matter counterpart Mixyezpitelik
    Pa dies: All-Star
    Jimmy's awesome: All-Star
    Steve Lombard as a jackass Clark uses his powers to mess with: All-Star and Geoff Johns' Action
    Most of the Fortress material that does show up: All-Star
    New Bizarro world: All-Star
    Lex playing chess: Red Son
    Red Kryptonite as body horror: Waid's Brave and the Bold

And which haven't (as far as I'm aware)
    Meeting with the JSA prior to becoming Superman
    People approaching Clark at random, instinctively sensing his decency
    Daily Planet as a primarily online service
    Cat suspecting Clark might be Superman
    The Superman Molecule
    Superman's Impossible Room
    Superman's extra secret identity as Hyperman
    The Krypton Museum
    The solar batteries
    A Kltpzyxm word balloon left in 3D-space
    Brainiac as Luthor's Frankenstein monster (though there are some shades of this in New Krypton, though not enough to say it was likely inspired)
    Red K Metallo
    Solaris as regular enemy
    Toyman as a Toy-Man
    Mxy reintroducing Elseworlds
    Rebel Prankster
    Ron Troupe as the Kryptonite Man
    Buh-bye

I feel like shades of the Impossible Room made it into All-Star, with the cosmic anvil and baby sun-eater. But again, shades thereof...
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Wait, when did I become part of a clique or the 'in crowd'?

...this has never happened to me before...

Maybe it's one of those 'only in the internet' things...