View Poll Results: What should FOX do with Deadpool?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rate it R. Let's do this!

99 86.09%
  • Push the boundaries of PG-13.

12 10.43%
  • Re-introduce him in an X-Force movie first.

10 8.70%
  • A TV show could work better.

2 1.74%
  • Other. Discuss in comments.

2 1.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Deadpool Movie Discussion

For what seems like an eternity now, we have been teased with a feature film for Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool. Ryan Reynolds portrayed a wonderful Wade Wilson in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, before fans witnessed one of the biggest butcherings of a comic character on the big screen. However, Reynolds was brought back late in production to film a post credits scene revealing that Deadpool was still alive and hinted at a spinoff.

Since then, the movie has obtained writers, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Zombieland), who have scripted a movie that most say would propel Ryan Reynolds as an actor and take comic book adaptations to the next level. I personally, have refused to read the script, even though it leaked online years ago. The movie also has first time director Tim Miller at the helm, who has noted that all they needed from the studio is a green light. Miller has been a creative supervisor and artist on X-Men, X-Men United, and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

More recently, the movie and FOX have entered into a "Will they? Won't they?" type of relationship that has gone on for the last several years. What seems to be the biggest obstacle is the movie rating. Many believe a true Deadpool film should be R rated. A lower budget would allow for that to happen. Others believe it is safer to push the boundaries of a PG-13 rating, which would make the movie more accessible to a wider audience. With FOX finally getting their ducks in a row, starting with Days of Future Past, it seems as though a Deadpool film may be closer to becoming a reality now than it did a couple of years ago.

Here is the absolute latest update from Lauren Shuler Donner, producer for x-films:

More of the same? Or are they for real now?

What are your thoughts on the potential film for the Merc with a Mouth? Is Reynolds the guy? How will Tim Miller do as a first time director? What should the movie be rated? Who would you like to see as a supporting cast? Sound off!

I voted introduction through X-force movie, although I'm not completely married to that answer. Deadpool, while popular, still isn't as mainstream as other Marvel characters. Perhaps familiarizing audiences with the character first (An accurate representation of the character) will allow a more successful solo Deadpool movie.

As far as the latest news goes, I remain skeptical until I see a solid greenlight from the studio. When and if we do get a Deadpool movie, I want it to be a hard R, but I'll settle for a light R if it means we get a movie. I believe we need to see Kill Bill levels of blood and violence, but that may be too risky for Fox. As far as actors go, I still want Reynolds; he did an impressive job as Wade. I know some are concerned he may not be bankable as a star of a comic book movie, given the box office failure of R.I.P.D. (or whatever it was called), and the lackluster Green Lantern.

I'll say this much: When it comes down to it, I'd rather there be no Deadpool movie than a shitty, poorly made one.

I'd prefer it as an "R", but I expect if it is released with that rating it will likely earn somewhere in the neighborhood of the Kick-Ass 1 & 2 movies, which were only moderately successful, the first more so than the second. A better move would probably be a "hard PG-13" for theaters, and then offer an uncut version on Blu-ray as was done with The Wolverine.

Voted R. I think it will work much better for Deadpool as character.

I agree with shibori78 in introducing him through an X-Force movie first. I voted both that way and for an R rating. I think introducing him through x-force would allow FOX to measure not only how popular the character could be, but also measure how far they could push the boundaries with him in a pg-13 movie.. which x-force will most likely be rated. If Deadpool is successfully able to operate under a hard pg-13, then they may be able to have a bit larger of a budget. I still believe the solo should be rated R, either way though.

Deadpool v Wolverine? Maybe perhaps? Could it go head to head with Batman v Superman? I would love this.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=100573

Meh. I'd just as soon they not use Jackman to launch the X-Force spinoff franchise. I know the temptation is there, but IMO they should focus on his third solo film and use him sparingly in Apocalypse, and then not at all in XF. Focus should be on new characters who can all be stars if the team is kept small: Cable, Deadpool, Psylocke, Domino, Archangel. Something like that is my dream line-up.

Having said that, if they use Logan sparingly in Apocalypse then perhaps some of the "Wolverine fatigue" will have subsided and then they can hit us with The Wolverine sequel as well as an Uncanny X-Force inspired X-Force film right after, also featuring Jackman. Could be cool if done right, I suppose. But Wolverine in XF means they'd likely skew older with Cable and make him less of a leading man type and more of a grizzled old man archetype (think Stephen Lang in a role akin to Whistler from Blade or something). Better than nothing, but in my view Nathan could be a great link between Apocalypse and X-Force and could be the next breakout Wolverine type character if done right. Sounds like they're more interested in Channing Tatum's Gambit, though, as well as spinning off Deadpool into a smaller solo film. Which is also cool I guess. Just leaves little room for Cable to be a franchise centerpiece.

However, if we get some take on Old Man Logan in the next Wolverine film (perhaps dealing with the aftermath of Apocalypse's ascension) and then an older Logan assembling X-Force to take down Apocalypse once and for all in that same world where Apocalypse rule, that could be a really cool departure from the comics and pretty damn awesome. Talk about a gritty tone, just imagine that after Apocalypse which takes place in the 80s we jump ahead to the present day for the next Wolverine film. In that film, everything is not destroyed like in OML but it is a pretty bleak civilization. Apocalypse rules Northern Africa and the Middle East, and humanity still controls most of the world (S. America, Western Europe, Russia, most of Asia and Australia). Eastern Europe is ruled by Doom from his seat in Latveria, and North America has been broken into sections ruled by different villains (the Wendigo Gang on the W. Coast; Omega Red in the White House on the E. Coast). The end of the film sees Logan killing Red in the White House and then going berserker on the Wendigo Gang. Jump straight into X-Force, and it's Logan assembling X-Force to put the world right and take out the most powerful evil right at its source. The beginning of the XF film has humanity having retaken control of N. America, and hatred of mutants and other supers is at an all time high. Therefore it has to be a black ops team. And then go from there.

Having them live in this world where there's been so much devastation and where Doom and Apocalypse are very much powerful figures on the world stage would be a pretty cool departure from other super hero films where everything seems to just go back to normal after the alien invasion is repelled or whatever. I think it could be kind of cool myself.

Of course then you have the problem of most of the X-men being dead, but there's probably a way around that. Perhaps the end of X-Force shows most of the main X-men still alive and being held by Sinister, and Logan was tricked into thinking he killed them all. Maybe he just killed a couple of them when Mysterio (or Mesmero more likely in this film) tricked him (e.g., Beast, older Quicksilver), and the rest were still breathing after his attack and were taken by Sinister. The after credits scene has X-Force spring them, and then we can jump into more present day X-men films set in an America that has rebuilt but hates mutants more than ever before. Enter Val Cooper, G.W. Bridge and the Mutant Response Division as FOX's version of Maria Hill, Fury and SHIELD.

Wolverine stays mainly in XF and is a minor presence in future XM films, with focus instead being on Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Gambit, etc. Something like that. With a long-term plan, could be a really fun ride over the course of 3-4 films. Plus you could get Gambit and Deadpool spinoffs while the overarching story is being told. And FF films that could touch on it in some way too.

Just some long, rambling thoughts on this...
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 05-22-2014 at 08:14 AM.

I would prefer Wolverine to take a back seat also. I'm in favor of his third solo film. I think Jackman deserves that. The Deadpool fan in me, which wins the majority of my internal arguments, doesn't really care anymore how a proper Deadpool is introduced in the films, as long as he is introduced. Whether that be in X-Force, which I would love, in a solo film, which would obviously be fantastic, or in this new idea of Jackman's to do a Deadpool vs Wolverine type movie. I think the third option is more of Jackman spit-balling. But I will say it's nice to hear him promoting Deadpool as well. He, Jackman, clearly has a lot of pull within the franchise. And if he wants Deadpool, and Singer has mentioned wanting to use Deadpool, I think that bodes very well.

I think we'll get Deadpool at some point. X-Force too. Not sure which will come first, though, and we may get Apocalypse, the next Wolverine solo and even a Gambit solo before both unfortunately.

But our day will come...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I think we'll get Deadpool at some point. X-Force too. Not sure which will come first, though, and we may get Apocalypse, the next Wolverine solo and even a Gambit solo before both unfortunately.

But our day will come...
    I agree. We'll get there. It just may take some (more) time.

You have to leave Wolverine out of the X-Force and Deadpool films. He's been pretty much all done fleshed out. His past, Weapon X, X-Men, Japan. It's all done for the most part.

If they were to do an X-Force film with Deadpool I think this would be the perfect team. Cable, Psylocke, Deadpool, Domino, Nemesis, Warpath. Make the main villain be Mr. Sinister with Styfe being the bad guy in the shadows. Introduce the Legacy Virus in the film.

I agree re: leaving Wolverine out of X-Force, but somehow don't think FOX will have enough faith in the project without him or some other popular character from the existing films (perhaps J-Law's Mystique instead?). And I like your team, but if I was going for the optimal blend of Original X-Force with Uncanny X-Force I think I'd go: Cable, Psylocke, Archangel, Domino, Sunspot and Warpath (made larger by secondary mutation and either played by someone besides Boo-Boo Stewart or his face done on a huge CGI body). Archangel would fill the Wolverine role from X1 where he's clearly been experimented on and has flashbacks of what was done to him by Apocalypse, and Psylocke and Cable saved him. But he's still a very dark, haunted character. Deadpool would actually be a mercenary villain at first, like in his first appearance; but who ends up joining up later when Cable and Warren simply pay him more than his employer. That would be cool IMO, and position him well as an antihero for a spinoff.

Footage now officially released:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=104761

Edit --- aaaaaaand taken down again apparently. Carry on.

The direct feed footage is out there. Just got to get lucky.