Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Tim Burton To Direct Disney's Live-Action "Dumbo"

The filmmaker, whose "Alice in Wonderland" grossed more than $1 billion, is developing a remake of the 1941 animated classic.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

"Mr. Burton, do you really think live-action is the way to go for a movie whose main characters are an elephant who flies with his ears, and a talking mouse in a ringmaster's uniform?"

"I can answer your question in four words: Did the check clear? No, seriously. Depp will be playing Dumbo. The world will never tire of him and his quirky antics."

I know Disney is making live action versions of all their animated movies, but have people really been clamoring for a live action Dumbo?
    Life is but a dream

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I'm waiting for a live-action Fantasia myself.

BANNED

Hopefully there are no human beings in this movie, that's the one thing I always hated about the animated version. I think Burton is the perfect man for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    Hopefully there are no human beings in this movie, that's the one thing I always hated about the animated version. I think Burton is the perfect man for the job.
    Could it still work withut the antagonising of them, and the frame of the people, and all?

The setup for majority the circus?

The Crows will be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    The Crows will be problematic.

Not at all, I think.

Right voices, animation, writing, directing.

Won't likely be like they were then, in speech, etc, etc.

I will say crows aren't black, they are black. You know? Not the same thing, but I know what's meant, and really don't think that'll be a problem today.

Still a class film, and without Dumbo and the crows, wouldn't have been the same.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Johnny Depp will be Timothy the mouse through mocap and do his usual weird thing that people are bored with.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Not at all, I think.

Right voices, animation, writing, directing.

Won't likely be like they were then, in speech, etc, etc.

I will say crows aren't black, they are black. You know? Not the same thing, but I know what's meant, and really don't think that'll be a problem today.

Still a class film, and without Dumbo and the crows, wouldn't have been the same.

Yes, the crows are problematic... but at the same time; their song is incredible, one of (if not the) cleverest and most fun songs in the history of Disney, and it would be a shame to use it.

I say deal with it by expanding their roles: make them main characters. Flesh 'em out beyond the stereotypes.

But I'm not getting my hopes up. Dumbo might be Disney's best animated film, but it's not suited to live action. It's possible to pull it off, look at the film Babe, but it's something that requires and gentleness and lightness of touch to make work. I don't have much faith in these behind the scenes folks.

BANNED

Tim Burton making a movie about circus animals?

&
    Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Yes, the crows are problematic... but at the same time; their song is incredible, one of (if not the) cleverest and most fun songs in the history of Disney, and it would be a shame to use it.

I say deal with it by expanding their roles: make them main characters. Flesh 'em out beyond the stereotypes.

But I'm not getting my hopes up. Dumbo might be Disney's best animated film, but it's not suited to live action. It's possible to pull it off, look at the film Babe, but it's something that requires and gentleness and lightness of touch to make work. I don't have much faith in these behind the scenes folks.

I would say it's not their greatest, (yes it's all opinion) I would pick Pinocchio, Fantasia and Snow White over Dumbo.

BANNED

Looking back, the crows scene is very racist and would not go over well today in this era.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    &
    I would say it's not their greatest, (yes it's all opinion) I would pick Pinocchio, Fantasia and Snow White over Dumbo.
    I would put those near the top, too. But I think Dumbo is #1, largely because of it's simplicity and lightness. They were in between all these crazy ambitious projects, and in that atmosphere, when everyone was on the top of their game, they made this small, little film. I think that's the key to Dumbo's success.

Seriously???