Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    " As a longtime fan, it is sad to see Steve Trevor removed from the mythology, but Diana has been notoriously asexual since her revamp; as with Xena, there are presumably too many lesbian/feminist fans who don't want to see the strong heroine with a man in her life."

this is fun, but lesbians/feminists had nothing to do with it.

anyway I would like to know why trevor was just thrown away? new 52 and perez reboot are wasted chances
    Frankly, I think it was a good decision, because even now, there isn't a good reason why Steve Trevor is there. Being Diana's love interest is not enough; it just devolves into making her a mirror image of Superman. He needs to play a role in the Wonder Woman mythos that springs thematically from the stories they're telling about her.

This lovelorn Trevor in the new 52 is just crap; they're just defining his character in terms of Diana---which is setting him up for failure. Needs something different.

Great thread.

That Legends issue (with the Wonder Woman splash page) was my first comic I bought with my own money ... and started a lifetime of reading and collecting comics.

I was young and new and didn't know, due to no internet, that comics could be controversial and not loved for what they were - so I just accepted what was put in front of me.

I remember being in for the long run with Wonder Woman ... but actually disappointed when so many of the "whats-gonna-happen-next" questions where resolved fairly quickly, such as "where did the Amazons get a shot gun" and what was the mystery with Diana Trevor ... Steve's mom.

I read issue 1 over and over again ... shocked my the alluded nudity ... and loved Wonder Woman as being young and naive.

I agree, she didn't appear enough in the wider DC Universe. And because she was so "new" her rare appearances kind of seemed odd and out of place.

Also, those Perez issues were such an education in classical Greek gods ... I to this day remember all their names, how they were each related to one another and what they could do.

in past years, I'm good at Greek god questions in trivia - due solely to Wonder Woman comics!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Frankly, I think it was a good decision, because even now, there isn't a good reason why Steve Trevor is there. Being Diana's love interest is not enough; it just devolves into making her a mirror image of Superman. He needs to play a role in the Wonder Woman mythos that springs thematically from the stories they're telling about her.

This lovelorn Trevor in the new 52 is just crap; they're just defining his character in terms of Diana---which is setting him up for failure. Needs something different.
    so having a love interest make wonder woman like superman? thor, flash, batman all have love interest and it never made them like superman carbon copy. Any good superhero have their own love interest.
    Marston did a better jon on 40s with gender and sexuality than DC did post 1986/now, there was a important message that got lost.
    the problem of new 52 is not defining him by his love of diana, that is just one part of him. he needs more exposure, his love by diana helps him be more than a rebot agent like old fury became. just let him be with her could be something different.
    Trevor seems a good character, that never got a chance of update like Lois, Iris and even the late gwn gained.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

You know what I always wondered? Why was Diana's story and origins so altered, that they had to change Donna's too? I mean Perez and Wolfman created the loose origin for Donna together on New Teen Titans in "Who's Donna Troy?", one year before they did Crisis on Infinite Earths. But because of the wibbly wobbly of COIE, WW was a late edition to the DCU and Donna had been active with the Titans from what presumably had been years. Forcing Wolfman and Perez to redefine Donna's origins in "Who is Troia?".

Perez worked on NTT and WW, so why was their confusion about other Amazon characters attached to Diana?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Was liked reasonably well at the time but, like most runs on Wonder Woman had its limits do to the fact that it was exclusive rather then inclusive when it came to the characters mythos as a whole. Removing Steve Trevor as a main character was a major foe-paw to me. And something DC would spend the next 20 years trying to fix. For once I'd like to see a creative team come on to the book without the deep seeded need to "fix" the character.