Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Seriously, the Magneto solo is the best ongoing X-Book right now.
    Completely agree with this.

I'm also a part of the 1% that really enjoys Remender's Uncanny Avengers. I have my problems with that book, but at least it's not stagnant. I buy X-men only for the New X-men featured in the backup stories. I liked Spurrier's X-Force but had to drop it because of how annoying his Marrow is. It gave me PTSD flashbacks of growing up with my brother.

I have high hopes for Amazing X-men once Kyle and Yost take over. They've never disappointed me yet.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Bendis needs to pick up the pace. I come for Cyke and the gang and while its been okay, its not grabbing. Like ANX more since I never knew about the 05 before and I liked the chara. of Jeen so far and Tyke has been a favorite. Now that he's gone for the moment, I'm anxious for Lil Warren start of darkness or Lil Bobby's wacky adventures.

Latour's been alright so far. He's picking up after Aaron whose first 5 or so were good for me and I'm trying to pick up after it but from what I've heard its not been all that good.

I haven't read Wood due to problems of getting the books in order.

Spurrier and David are taking the long road and have just gotten started. Kinda like Bendis at first but I like their introductions more but then again Bendis did have to pick up after AvX. Spurrier was fun with Legion and I'm expecting good things again.

Quote Originally Posted by idiyona View Post
    When it comes to those complaining about book I think it's more telling that they read enough of a book to have specific complaints than the complaints themselves.
    The thing about UXM and ANXM is that you only have to pick up one book out of five to follow them because of the pacing (if that) or else just follow the trail of events. ;-) While that's certainly a budget saver, I'm not sure where it ranks as far as entertainment value.

Spectacular Member Material Flux's Avatar

Overall, I think the X-books are lacking in vitality. They need to bring something really fresh to the table.

They tried with Schism, but they focused too much on the personal side of it rather than the idea behind the whole thing. Not to mention the fact that they really couldn't bear to actually take the thing to it's logical conclusion. Seriously, rather than an actual schism, it's like a protracted hissy fit.

Incredible Member

I've only read All New X-Men after hearing such good things from reviewers.

What a disappointment (especially Battle of the Atom. Yikes). I still feel like I haven't gotten to know any of the characters. Great premise, but they don't take advantage of it. Too many quips, and not enough...story or interesting character drama. All fluff, no meat.

Every week I preview the X-Men books hoping to come across something that'll hook me, but nothing ever does. Reviewers seem to be loving most of it though.

Can someone pleaseeeee recommend me a good X-Men comic? I'm stoked for the DOFP movie if that gives you an indication of my tastes. I also have fond memories of the X-Men cartoon in the 90s. (perhaps I should just give up on recent stuff?).

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    I've only read All New X-Men after hearing such good things from reviewers.

What a disappointment (especially Battle of the Atom. Yikes). I still feel like I haven't gotten to know any of the characters. Great premise, but they don't take advantage of it. Too many quips, and not enough...story or interesting character drama. All fluff, no meat.

Every week I preview the X-Men books hoping to come across something that'll hook me, but nothing ever does. Reviewers seem to be loving most of it though.

Can someone pleaseeeee recommend me a good X-Men comic? I'm stoked for the DOFP movie if that gives you an indication of my tastes. I also have fond memories of the X-Men cartoon in the 90s. (perhaps I should just give up on recent stuff?).
    I can only recommend what I enjoy myself, or have enjoyed in the past. As far as older stuff, Remender's UXF run was enjoyable, classic Claremont X-Men, Excalibur for a fun read. As for now, Spurrier's UXF isn't too bad so far for gritty, nor is Amazing X-Men for more of an old school X-Men style book. I'm enjoying all of the solos so far, as well: Nightcrawler, Magneto, Cyclops and will check out Storm when it launches. PAD tells a pretty interesting story in All New X-Factor, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage! View Post
    tbf, the people who find them boring yet are still reading them 20 issues in aren't exactly those with opinions i'd place much faith and objectivity in(Obviously that's a two way street, and Bendis has faults but i don't think being boring is one of them. Although if you have no interest in the cast, it would make sense then). I don't really consider the decompression/characterization critiques applicable to ''boring''.
    I think that's fair assessment as well. I think the complaints just prove how invested we get in the characters and thus the complaints that arise from that.

I don't find the books boring myself otherwise I would have stopped buying.

i have been reading x-books since 1985 and i totaly understand that people found the actual x-titles very boring.

since Morrison (and maybe wheedon too) departure, i lost progressively interest for the x-men. i totaly gave up after schism. and the marvel NOW stuffs did not give me much hope to come back.

even if i have been a great fan of Powers or his Daredevil's run i still cannot read Bendis ANXM & UXM. the O5 from the past brought in the present ... WTF ! thoses characters have been already so much overused and now we have double dose every month. a title like W&TXM was promising but finaly quite trivial, Aaron was a disappointment (i was really fan of Scalped) ... etc.

i am, and will probably stay forever a x-fan, but i just cannot read anymore x-men titles. i just don't care about the main characters: too many years of bad characterizations, deaths and resurrections or over-exposures made me lost my interest for them ...

in fact the most exciting and interesting stuff i have read theses last years were Zeb Wells New Mutants, PAD's X-Factor investigation run, Spurrier X-men Legacy, or Milligan's X-Statics for exemple. only X-satellites titles, with new or underutilized characters (and good storytellers involved of course).

but with the actual level of sales of the comics in general, and the X-books in particular, i'm afraid the titles will be oriented to satisfy only the last fans of the main and most popular characters ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    Well, the x-books are my favorite comics too, but right now, yeah, I do feel like they're crap. I buy the books out of commitment to continuity/nerd obsession, but it's become more of a personal obligation than for genuine entertainment. I was wondering if others felt the same.

Cyclops and the new XForce seems fun though. Gotta check out the Magneto series.
    That's the kind of honest answer I like to see. Also, Magneto is pretty great so far in my opinion. Cyclops was good and X-Force is okay, not a fan of the art particularly

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

There's a distinct tendency for people (creators and fans) to hang onto some nostalgic favorites out of sheer habit, long after their true utility has been thoroughly exhausted (pre-internet).

That gets fucking boring. Shake up the casts. Give shine to others. Create new characters. Fuck the old hegemony.

Lord Hotelier

Yes. The only reason to read X-Books now is simply for the sake of remaining vaguely aware of the characters that you once loved.

The whole universe needs a reboot, to be honest. Never would've said that even just a couple of years ago, but nowadays I'm fairly convinced that it's the only recourse. Marvel's woefully lacking in good ideas and stories.