Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judge Dredd 101

All-New Member

Default Judge Dredd 101

Ever since I picked up the FCBD edition of 2000 AD I've been extremely interested in reading more Dredd books. Can you guys help me out with some reading essentials? So far I have the Case Files 01 collection. What storylines shold I check out?

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaLava View Post
    Ever since I picked up the FCBD edition of 2000 AD I've been extremely interested in reading more Dredd books. Can you guys help me out with some reading essentials? So far I have the Case Files 01 collection. What storylines shold I check out?
    Just stick with the Case Files in order. Books 3/4 are when things really start taking shape, but 1 & 2 are definitely worth a read unless you're really impatient. It's all good up until Morrison & Millar appear (CF 18?), so you've got plenty of great reading ahead of you

The complete case files are the way to go, in the second case files you get the The Cursed Earth and The Day the Law Died, case files 3 has Judge Death, case files 4 has The Child Judge, and then case files 5 has Block Mania and Apocalypse War. I suggest just collecting them till you stop enjoying reading them, they get smaller in size when they turn to colour but 23 comes out in a few months so lots to read. For more recent Dredd read Origins, America, Tour of Duty: The Backlash, and Tour of Duty: Mega-City Justice. They also have the restricted files that have the specials and annuals, they also have Judge Anderson The PSI Files some good Alan Grant stories.

I've got Vols 1-6 and 19 (don't ask) and I've read up to halfway through the 2nd and I'm finding it very much like the first. I'm looking forward to it getting a bit more like the modern stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory426 View Post
    I've got Vols 1-6 and 19 (don't ask) and I've read up to halfway through the 2nd and I'm finding it very much like the first. I'm looking forward to it getting a bit more like the modern stuff.
    Case Files 5 has some the best Dredd you will read. John Wagner teamed up with art from Brian Bolland and Carlos Ezquerra you get 3 of the best Dredd stories in one book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory426 View Post
    Then you have like 15+ years worth to go. The 2nd TCCF has some of the best Dredd stories of all time, so if you don't like it then perhaps TCCF aren't for you and you should just pick up some of the later regular tpb's.

I am very interested in reading Judge Dredd, I got even more interested after reading that it was a source of inspiration for the original RoboCop movie
    Thank you for your suggestions everyone, and thank you GuavaLava for asking, and making these suggestions open and easy to be found
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    The complete case files are the way to go, in the second case files you get the The Cursed Earth and The Day the Law Died, case files 3 has Judge Death, case files 4 has The Child Judge, and then case files 5 has Block Mania and Apocalypse War. I suggest just collecting them till you stop enjoying reading them, they get smaller in size when they turn to colour but 23 comes out in a few months so lots to read. For more recent Dredd read Origins, America, Tour of Duty: The Backlash, and Tour of Duty: Mega-City Justice. They also have the restricted files that have the specials and annuals, they also have Judge Anderson The PSI Files some good Alan Grant stories.
    The stories from Case files 5 can also be found in the 'Judge Dredd Classics' series from IDW that just completed (18 issues, IIRC)

Mighty Member

I'd recommend the later day Dredd with America, Origins, Tour of duty and Day of Chaos. The mature themes, satire and stories in those are awesome. Makes Dredd feel more relevant than before, both as social commentary and as a character. It also feels like it's own story of sorts, exploring the relationship between Dredd, the judge system and MC1 like never before. It's almost amazing that it isn't getting made into a HBO series as we speak.

And while it builds upon what happened in the older stories, everything is told in a manner that makes it easy to follow for readers who haven't read thousands upon thousands of pages of Dredd.

The follow up (of sorts) Dark Justice is also around the corner! Just look at the artwork for Dark Justice, quite insane innit !? http://2000ad.files.wordpress.com/20...ples-dredd.jpg

Or if someone's just in for a taste. Then I'd recommend getting either Case Files 2 (insane, imaginary and good fun), CF5 (So hardcore it's almost scary) or CF14 (Dredd vs his doubt & The Dark Judges).
    Last edited by borntohula; 05-20-2014 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire2099 View Post
    The stories from Case files 5 can also be found in the 'Judge Dredd Classics' series from IDW that just completed (18 issues, IIRC)
    I have not read any of the IDW Dredd how are the classic reprints in terms of colouring? I grabbed the Year One trade recently but have not read it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Then you have like 15+ years worth to go. The 2nd TCCF has some of the best Dredd stories of all time, so if you don't like it then perhaps TCCF aren't for you and you should just pick up some of the later regular tpb's.
    I dunno, I liked a lot of the 1st volume but I started to find certain bits a drag. Likewise I've enjoyed aspects of The Cursed Earth but it also seems really long.

Spectacular Member

I have been on a big 2000 AD kick, as the reprints and being able to get the Uk books through Amazon or Ebay finally at a decent price have been making reading this material much easier than a few years ago.

I read a bunch of the Eagle reprints back when I was a teen ager and really was a big fan. The stories were not reprinted in any order though. I've read a couple of the later Case Files volumes like 9 and 10 and parts of some of the later ones, but I have finally got the early Case Files and have been reading Dredd from the start. I'm into the latter part of Vol. 3. I think it is great, 2000 AD definitely had it going on at the end of the 70s early 80s. I love the twisted humor.

I'm also at the annual stories of the back of the first volume of the first volume of Strontium Dog Agency Files. That was a really good comic too.

Slaine, Button Man, Shakara and Zombo are all good reads too, well under the radar in the US. I'm looking to get the Al's Baby sometime soon, as that just sounds like such a bizarre comic. Haven't read it but I just also got the first Evelen Waugh collection which has some nice Sean Phillips comics.

All-New Member

Thanks, guys. I've started case files case files 01. Not a big fan but I'll try to read it in order as much as possible. I've checked out the Cypher storyline from props 1824 and 1825 and I'm in love with that art. I can't wait to get to the more modern stuff. Should I skip the early stuff altogether and come back to it later. I'm new to British comics Soni don't know how they handle continuity retcons.

All-New Member

I've been on this kick as well. I've stumbled on some pretty awesome stuff that's criminally overlooked in the US. Have you read Six Gun Gorilla by Simon Spurrier? Oh man.

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaLava View Post
    Thanks, guys. I've started case files case files 01. Not a big fan but I'll try to read it in order as much as possible. I've checked out the Cypher storyline from props 1824 and 1825 and I'm in love with that art. I can't wait to get to the more modern stuff. Should I skip the early stuff altogether and come back to it later. I'm new to British comics Soni don't know how they handle continuity retcons.
    For Dredd you can skip ahead case files and try modern stuff if you want I would suggest Origins. If you are looking for modern 2000 AD to read I would suggest checking out some Sinister Dexter or Nikolai Dante, I am so far beyond on the current progs it is getting to be a bit much I probably have about a years worth of progs and megazine to catch up. Personally I love the early stuff they did and they have done a great job of collecting them I would suggest trying Strontium Dog, ABC Warriors, or Robo Hunters.