Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    Yep, that's true, events tend to make the previous issues move slowly. Seems like Hickman is just waiting til Secret Wars starts. It doesn't make it okay though.
    Well I never said it did. Honestly, times like these are where Hickman's writing gets intolerable. Everything slows to a crawl, there's not much happening, there's no characterization or emotion to be seen anywhere, and it becomes tedious. Just get on with it already!

Amazing Member

I enjoyed this issue. Love the Strange scenes (although I hope Hickman won't just leave Strange's ascendance as "The Eye" and his mastery of "The Words" unexplained), but then I tend to love any panel time for Strange

The Doom reveal did feel underwhelming since there was little build up and then this reveal just spawns far more major questions. Based on Doom's comment about him creating a religion, I think that Rabum Alal seems to be more myth than fact. Someone made a silly comment about Doom pulling a Wizard of Oz, which I think is actually accurate here (hah). While the Swans have probably adhered to this religion of Rabum Alal for a very long time, it does not appear that they have ever seen Rabum Alal in the flesh (no one can withstand his "illuminating light" and only the blind can face him). That said, it would seem that whatever rabbit hole from which Doom and MM came resulted in Doom personifying the Rabum Alal god figure. MM indicated that they needed to go back to the beginning so I think that Doom/MM witnessed the start of the early death of everything, possibly early machinations by the Beyonders.

We've got a few issues left till Secret Wars so I'm not sure how Hickman will be able to tie up the many loose ends that still linger.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    We are basically at the pace this series is always at before an event. It was this slow before Infinity and Original Sin, so it isn't surprising.

Also, Hickman needs to get a better artist to draw this book. Ken Walker just does not have the capabilities to make this book look as grand or epic as you think it should. I mean, Dr. Strange talked about how vast and beyond comprehension this library was, but the artwork just made everything look so... generic and dull (probably didn't help that we montage through the library). It honestly doesn't look all that grand or impressive.
    Even Doom's Libraray of Arcana from "Unthinkable" probably looks more impressive, rendered by the late and very much missed Mike Wieringo

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, but anyone like that would have felt like a very last minute thing thrown in the story. Doom at least is a character that we know has been used in Hickman's stuff from the very start.

Part of the reason I think Doom is NOT an exciting choice is simply because it's such a logical choice that Hickman has been building towards the entire time. That made him an obvious choice, which takes away from the excitement of the surprise factor. But overall, storywise I think it helps the story more that it was a character properly built up rather than someone we didn't see coming.

Surprise factor wears off in 15 minutes. But going back through Hickmans Avengers and FF runs and looking for seeds he planted I believe will have a greater long term satisfaction for at least the more hardcore readers who do that sort of stuff.
    Yeah, complaining about the Doom reveal seems ridiculous to me. Clearly this is what Hickman has been building to, clearly this is a culmination of year's worth of storytelling. It shouldn't be about how shocking the reveal is, but how thought-out it is. It can't live or die on how many people "didn't see it coming." It had to fit within the logic of Hickman's story. This does, and why knock anything that acknowledges that no villain in the Marvel U usurps the capabilities of Doom? I love that Hickman has given Doom the proper respect as arguably Marvel #1 bad guy. And putting Doom (and Molecule Man) in position to go head to head with the Beyonders again is perfect planning for Secret Wars.

Agreed. Hickman also had Doom play a key role in Nathaniel and Future Franklin and Future Valeria's plan. I wonder if it will be revealed that Future Franklin and Nathaniel knows about all about the Great Destroyer. Which reminds me....just where has Nathaniel Richards been? There is only one of him now.

Quote Originally Posted by frostywontons View Post
    I enjoyed this issue. Love the Strange scenes (although I hope Hickman won't just leave Strange's ascendance as "The Eye" and his mastery of "The Words" unexplained), but then I tend to love any panel time for Strange

The Doom reveal did feel underwhelming since there was little build up and then this reveal just spawns far more major questions. Based on Doom's comment about him creating a religion, I think that Rabum Alal seems to be more myth than fact. Someone made a silly comment about Doom pulling a Wizard of Oz, which I think is actually accurate here (hah). While the Swans have probably adhered to this religion of Rabum Alal for a very long time, it does not appear that they have ever seen Rabum Alal in the flesh (no one can withstand his "illuminating light" and only the blind can face him). That said, it would seem that whatever rabbit hole from which Doom and MM came resulted in Doom personifying the Rabum Alal god figure. MM indicated that they needed to go back to the beginning so I think that Doom/MM witnessed the start of the early death of everything, possibly early machinations by the Beyonders.

We've got a few issues left till Secret Wars so I'm not sure how Hickman will be able to tie up the many loose ends that still linger.
    I forgot the part about only the blind can face Rabum Alal. Even with all that power, Doom probably still thinks his face is scarred.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-11-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, complaining about the Doom reveal seems ridiculous to me. Clearly this is what Hickman has been building to, clearly this is a culmination of year's worth of storytelling. It shouldn't be about how shocking the reveal is, but how thought-out it is. It can't live or die on how many people "didn't see it coming." It had to fit within the logic of Hickman's story. This does, and why knock anything that acknowledges that no villain in the Marvel U usurps the capabilities of Doom? I love that Hickman has given Doom the proper respect as arguably Marvel #1 bad guy. And putting Doom (and Molecule Man) in position to go head to head with the Beyonders again is perfect planning for Secret Wars.
    I didn't complain, I just said I think it would have been cool if it was The Void/Sentry. If that's a complaint it's one of the most mild ones I've ever issued.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Spectacular Member markallenchi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    Attachment 19016

Damn you Hickman! And Ultimate Reed is the "Maker!"

I had read Hickman's run in Fantastic Four, and the first 11 issues of FF, but I skipped 11-22. Then I found out about Doom last night- I went back and read the rest. There's a basic summary in #611 (one of the Secret Wars prelude comics) but you get some real characterization of what Hickman thinks of Doom as he's fighting off the Mad Celestials
    I read that last night and was going to post it. He literally says, I am the Great Destroyer.
    Mark Allen Chi

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostywontons View Post
    Val can explain it all to her father with 2 pages of exposition. What I want to know is what Tony is up to. I assume he's still inverted based on Natasha and Jess's visit while he was imprisoned? But there are more unknowns there than anywhere else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This!

Really glad it was Doom and it fits with the story perfectly. I'm also glad since this will hopefully lead to the resurgence of Doom.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by markallenchi View Post
    Yea, this makes me think the entire story by the Black Swan and the cause of the incursion is a lie/myth created by Doom for some other purpose. This also makes me think that the Universe he created might have birthed the "Beyonders".

The working theory I have is, when Nathaniel collapsed all of his counterparts into on reality, that actually started the collapse (incursions) of all Earths into one reality. Then all of the other events (Reed/Doom destroying his universe) just accelerted the collapse. What I can't figure out is why the Ivory Kings want everything destoryed.
    To add, could also be related to when Franklin altered all futures. Franklin and Val said they didn't like where the future ended so they went through great pains to effectively alter all futures across the multiverse. Now that we know about the Beyonders I'm thinking the old future was one favored by the Beyonders and so now they want to revert Franklin's changes by systematically destroying the multiverse and rebuild it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Even Doom's Libraray of Arcana from "Unthinkable" probably looks more impressive, rendered by the late and very much missed Mike Wieringo

Yeah, I definately think a better artist could have sold the Great Destroyer reveal better. The art was passable, but a bit on the flat side.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Doom's whole plan was inspired by Wizard of Oz.
    In that case, among the Illuminati, which ones need the brain, the heart, the courage, and the way home?

I mean, if you're going that way, might as well go the whole way...

Spectacular Member markallenchi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    I read an older Bevoort interview where he says Rabum Alal is a major player in the Secret Wars main arc. So I guess Doom survives into Battleworld and is perhaps King of Battleworld. Maybe he's the one, via Molecule Man, building Battleworld throughout the red incursions, and not the Beyonders (via blue incursions).

Maybe now that this is out we'll get Secret Wars #4 cover. Hickman said there was a major aspect of the story that doesn't get page time til SW#4...
    That makes perfect sense. Doom uses MM to create Battleworld, which is the realization of the world he once tried to create. The scope of Battleworld is starting to remind me of Old Man Logan and how the villiams ruled there.
    Mark Allen Chi

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    In that case, among the Illuminati, which ones need the brain, the heart, the courage, and the way home?

I mean, if you're going that way, might as well go the whole way...
    Not to be overly critical, but at various points in the story I think they all needed all of the above.

What I really like about this is not just a resurgence for Doom, like Trident says. He was after all shoved out of the way so Osborn could shine in the Cabal. Villains in general were non starters during Civil War too. But what Hickman has done is restored the prominence of the Fantastic Four title he obviously has come to love despite having never been much of a fan prior to preparing for his FF run by reading from the 500 issue compilation of the Fantastic Four on DVD that Gitcorp used to make from Marvel titles. As we've all noted, much of this story was seeded over there. He always said that the Parliament of Doom story was meant to be a multi-parter but got cut short when it was decided to end his run and switch over to the Avengers. So in a way, maybe this is what might have happened had his FF run been longer.