Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Well, "transcended the mortal world" is also a problem. One of the most common complaints people have about Diana is "She, and her sisters, are perfect." It's not true. We all know it's not true. But saying that the Amazons are some kind of transcendant beings who are "above" our world just adds to this perception that they are just plain "better" than us. That can turn a lot of people off.
    I mean: they trascended mortality (so they are immortals), but they didn't trascend mortals.

This being said, Amazons should be "better" than mortals, but not because intrisic superiority. They already are where common people will be in a better future, if they...

BANNED

Sounds great and all... but for someone else.

Pass from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Ooooh! Now THAT, I like!

It's always been a bit of a problem to say that the Amazons just abandoned the world and allowed three millennia of male-on-female abuse to happen. To say that the Amazons never abandoned their mission to improve the lives of women is a nice idea. They just helped out quietly, behind the scenes.
    Shouldn't them being too traumatized by their own experiences be enough?

I like the spirit of what De Campi is getting to, but I could do without the vision of Amazons as always 100% warrior women. To me that should only be one part of the society. I miss magic and super science and other sides of the Amazons. Incorporate women like Marie Curie and Amielia Earhart too ... Being a badass woman should honor womens intelligence and skill in a variety of ways, not just their ability to pick up a sword.
    Last edited by Darius; 03-11-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Shouldn't them being too traumatized by their own experiences be enough?
    Sorry, I just don't like the idea that the Amazons suffered and then refused to help allay the similar suffering of other women.

It just makes the Amazons seemcowardly if they could have continued to help but didn't.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

I've heard a lot of things about Beyonce but self-absorbed is a new one.
    When people took unflattering pictures of her at a concert, her publicist tried to demand they not be shown on the internet. I am afraid that is a quality of her being self-absorbed.

I'm not going to lie, Alex de Campi's Sensation Comics story was one of my least favorite of the series. That said, I think she brings up some great points and I'd of course be willing to try more of her WW if she was offered.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    When people took unflattering pictures of her at a concert, her publicist tried to demand they not be shown on the internet. I am afraid that is a quality of her being self-absorbed.
    That's probably more on her publicist than it is her. I'm sure in the DC Universe, Diana's publicist tries not to get unflattering photos of her plastered online, too.

Astonishing Member

Everything except this part is good.

Diana knows who she is, knows what Instagram is, and has to manage her public personality as any female in the public eye must. She is kind and patient with her fans. She knows the fame game, and navigates it well (even though, privately, she may find it not much fun.)

(If I ever did a Diana series, in the first few pages she’d be walking in to the Justice League to work in the morning with a BFF, like Vixen, in skinny jeans, a jacket, and a t-shirt that says “Social Justice Amazon”… probably with a gift for the girl on reception — tickets to Into the Woods — because she knows it’s the girl’s birthday and Diana is nice like that.)
    Seriously that part is really bad. I get it for a new younger Barbara Gordon but not for Diana. (or Clark or Bruce for that matter)
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Mighty Member

Sounds great, especially as in fun. I would definitely not mind a 4-6 or so parter from Alex.

It's stories like this WW needs to be seen as one of the big 3. A character that can work in any sort of revamp. Be it a campy 40's take, joyful Perez, Greek nightmare a'la Azzarello or a psychadelic Morrison take on her character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Everything except this part is good.

Seriously that part is really bad. I get it for a new younger Barbara Gordon but not for Diana. (or Clark or Bruce for that matter)
    she said nothing about her age, she wold just use things most people use today

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'm not going to lie, Alex de Campi's Sensation Comics story was one of my least favorite of the series. That said, I think she brings up some great points and I'd of course be willing to try more of her WW if she was offered.

That's probably more on her publicist than it is her. I'm sure in the DC Universe, Diana's publicist tries not to get unflattering photos of her plastered online, too.
    If you don't think that Beyonce may have told her publicist to do this, then I don't know what to say.

Here is a link for what happened http://gawker.com/5982628/beyonces-p...os-into-a-meme

I doubt that the publicist acted solely alone on this without Beyonce knowing, but it could have happened.

Quickly on Beyonce, she might not've been self-absorbed by renting out a hospital's neonatal wing, shutting down security cameras, and paying private security to limit access to new parents to go to and from the unit to visit their kids or leave the facility, but it sure as heck was short-sighted and with a lot of stupid consequences.

Anyway, not really keen on these proposals. I hate it when weird things are placed on my lawn; GET OFF!

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    If you don't think that Beyonce may have told her publicist to do this, then I don't know what to say.

Here is a link for what happened http://gawker.com/5982628/beyonces-p...os-into-a-meme

I doubt that the publicist acted solely alone on this without Beyonce knowing, but it could have happened.
    Nowhere in the article does it state the publicist acted upon Beyonce's requests. We don't know Beyonce personally, so really it's neither here nor there. What stands true is that if Wonder Woman existed, she would be treated pretty similarly to how Beyonce is treated in our world.

Do I think Beyonce cares more about having an ugly photo out there than Diana would? Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Sounds great, especially as in fun. I would definitely not mind a 4-6 or so parter from Alex.

It's stories like this WW needs to be seen as one of the big 3. A character that can work in any sort of revamp. Be it a campy 40's take, joyful Perez, Greek nightmare a'la Azzarello or a psychadelic Morrison take on her character.
    Writers may be interested but it seems that editorial is reluctant to do so. Whether it's handing her to amateur writers like Meredith Finch, interfering with critically acclaimed runs like Rucka and Simone or just having her villains get jobbed to other characters (Superman beating Apollo, Batman beating Circe) or just crappy portrayals in elseworld tales like DKSA, Injustice.

jobbed to other characters (Superman beating Apollo)
    That shouldn't count on the list of jobbing. Poor Cheetah, on the other hand...