Super Moderator

Default Paul Jenkins Plots "Massive Change" as the New Writer of "Spawn"

Paul Jenkins tells CBR about his plans for "Spawn," which start this week with the "Spawn Resurrection" one-shot illustrated by Jonboy Meyers.

Full article here.

"He's been in purgatory for however many years. He sent himself there." Wait, Al killed himself, why should he be in purgatory? Aren't suicides supposed to go to hell? Different rules for the Spawn universe? lol Also, McFarlane's "I've done nothing" comment in regards to Al's family. Um what? I'm pretty sure there was an origin story about his parents and two brothers.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-11-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Al killed himself, so why should he be in purgatory? Aren't suicides supposed to go to hell? Different rules for the Spawn universe?
    Assuming the "rules" to which you are referring are based in Christianity, suicides and punishment thereof are not addressed directly in the Bible. So any conclusions one makes about the souls of those who commit suicide going to Hell are either speculative inference or based on a particular denominations' teachings.

That said, Spawn is based in a fictional world with no guarantee that its zany, comic-book version of religion is based on real world teachings.
    Currently Reading: A handful of series that will be canceled soon.

I don't mean to start any religious debates, I asked a simple question because a lot of Spawn's mythology is indeed based on Christianity and I'm pretty sure there were older issues where Clown stated that suicides do go to hell. In the Spawn mythos it was one of the advantages that Hell had over Heaven during their war of collecting more souls. Writers don't have to keep continuity when it comes to details like that, just like Jenkins mentions, I was just wondering about it.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-11-2015 at 05:24 PM.

"What have you done with his family? Not the kids and Wanda, but what about his mom and dad?" "Nothing, really." I said, "You've done 250 issues, and you haven't done anything? You've got stuff in mind?" Todd just laughed, and said, "No, you really should get to that."

Uh...Todd?

I know he likes to pretend David Hines run didnt exist an' all. But seeing as his run was the strongest the book has been im not sure I like that...