Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Slott Unwraps the Twisted Secrets of Peter Parker's "Spider-Verse" Adventure

Dan Slott explains how "Spider-Verse" was nearly a Doc Ock tale, shares the Inheritors' origins, reveals why a Spider-Ham title is off the table for now and more!

Full article here.

You know, while we've known for a while that it was originally supposed to happen in Superior, I'm actually glad that Axel pulled the objection card on the grounds that that really is something you only do once and it should be the real Peter at the helm rather than a faker. Can't really claim to have every Spider-Man ever without the one true original. Not only that but I don't think we needed to take Otto's having everyone fooled of who he is to a multiversal level.

Spectacular Member
    Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know, while we've known for a while that it was originally supposed to happen in Superior, I'm actually glad that Axel pulled the objection card on the grounds that that really is something you only do once and it should be the real Peter at the helm rather than a faker. Can't really claim to have every Spider-Man ever without the one true original. Not only that but I don't think we needed to take Otto's having everyone fooled of who he is to a multiversal level.
    I also think with the change, there should have been more focus on the difference between Spider Ock's willingness to kill and Peter's aversion to it. But it just fell flat, there was no going back and seeing what Spider-Man trained by Wolverine and others from SpiderOck thought about not killing anyone.

It just became a mess that didn't seem to have much focus.

EDIT:

I'd recommend reading this thread. I think it offers a great range of responses to the event.
    Last edited by MatchesMalone; 03-11-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Self-Loathing Bendis Fan

I'm with Slott on this one. Keeping Ock in there until Secret Wars really spells commitment to the death of Peter Parker. If Marvel was aware of the upcoming reset when Peter was written back in control, then I think they may have missed an opportunity here. Just a few extra months and the commitment to Pete's death in 616 would have been complete, thanks to the coming Universe-wide reset button.

That being said, it's been a fun read regardless. Neither would have hurt the story.
    Last edited by _underscore; 03-11-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Spider-Verse as ongoing confirmed.

Superior Spider-fan Agent Scarlet's Avatar

That was the plan, and we talked about it at a number of retreats. Everyone was cool with it up until we were right about ready to run. [Laughs] So the train was on the tracks, we were going over it one last time, and everyone went, "Wait a minute! This is going to be a Doc Ock story?" And I was like, "Yeah!" [Laughs] Then Axel [Alonso] was like, "No, no, no. This isn't a Doc Ock story. It's a story for the real Spider-Man. You only get to do something like this once. Let's do it right and save it for when Peter comes back."
    Yeah, that pretty much sounds like Marvel's current editorial team, not really having a clue what's going on until it's actually happening.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by _underscore View Post
    I'm with Slott on this one. Keeping Ock in there until Secret Wars really spells commitment to the death of Peter Parker. If Marvel was aware of the upcoming reset when Peter was written back in control, then I think they may have missed an opportunity here. Just a few extra months and the commitment to Pete's death in 616 would have been complete, thanks to the coming Universe-wide reset button.

That being said, it's been a fun read regardless. Neither would have hurt the story.
    None of that makes sense. First, Secret Wars is not a reset. Second, they have known about this for years.

Self-Loathing Bendis Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    None of that makes sense. First, Secret Wars is not a reset. Second, they have known about this for years.
    Semantics. The universe will be reshaped. Whoever Marvel wants (or doesn't want), they don't have to come up with a convoluted way to make it happen. What do you think awaits at the end of all the coming fireworks?

Insightful and fun interview - thanks

Meanwhile, with regards to Spider-Punk... all his dialogue was, in my head, spoken with that British punk accent that I can only do in my head. I was SHOCKED to find out it was Hobie Brown, from Cleveland. Changed my whole perspective on things. Throughout the rest of the series, I had to keep reminding myself that Spider-Punk wasn't British.

Quote Originally Posted by MindTricked View Post

Meanwhile, with regards to Spider-Punk... all his dialogue was, in my head, spoken with that British punk accent that I can only do in my head. I was SHOCKED to find out it was Hobie Brown, from Cleveland. Changed my whole perspective on things. Throughout the rest of the series, I had to keep reminding myself that Spider-Punk wasn't British.
    that was me too, though i’m not sure if it was the comic that led me that way or i picked it up from the board. did spider-punk ever say anything quintessentially british? like a “bollocks” or something? is that even printable in mainstream comics?

Mighty Member

Slott said something interesting about issue 16. I wonder if Peter will have to start acting more like a boss(especially to Sajani) to keep his company in one piece. Peter is starting to get more assertive with her.

I genuinely loved this story arc (except for the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends part), and I can't wait to read the further exploits of some of the characters in Spider-Verse. Also: I really want a Leopardon.

All-New Member

I'm surprised that CBR didn't even ask about the possibility of Doc Ock's consciousness still being alive. Maybe I misinterpreted the epilogue issue, but it seemed like Doc Ock created an 'out' for himself with the holo-Anna.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Thanks for NOTHING, Axel. Doc Ock as the lead in Spider Verse would have been insanely awesome.

Let the writers write.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindTricked View Post

Cleveland was a hotbed of punk antiauthority in the music scene in the 70s and 80s. Seminal bands like Pere Ubu, Devo, the Dead Boys, and Rocket from the Tombs all hail from the Cleve. Cleveland's bonafides are firmly in place.