Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Ms. Marvel, #13

Takeshi Miyazawa joins G. Willow Wilson for a three-issue arc that kicks off in "Ms. Marvel" #13, which brings Kamala's Inhuman heritage to the foreground, even as love is in the air.

Full review here.

In the interest of record-keeping, here is another thread where CBR users made their opinion on this issue known.

Ms Marvel (2014) #13 *Spoilers and Thoughts*
    http://community.comicbookresources....-and-Thoughts*

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

"Kamala is that rare comic book teenager who actually feels like a real teenager."

You mean not like Young Avengers, Runaways, Generation Hope, New X-Men, PAD's Supergirl, most of the iterations of Batgirl, Claremont's classic Kitty Pryde, et al et al et al?

"Kamala is that rare comic book teenager who actually feels like a real teenager."
    Good review. I think its score could be even higher and it's because Kamala really is just that awesome. I read about her and I read about someone who feels genuine. She's not a genius like Peter Parker. She doesn't attend a fancy boarding school like the X-men. She's just so relatable in all the right ways and issues like this just reinforce that feeling. Love this issue, love this series, and love Kamala.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

It was a decent issue, but I fear that if they make the new guy bad, it's gonna feel too "Frozen" with them immediately hitting it off, finishing each other's sentences (sandwiches) and then him flipping the switch. As it is, Kamala is a very fun character, and she's written with a lot of style, but the book's plots to me just don't resonate as much in terms of being particularly memorable. It feels like if we think of this book in five years, it's going to be more about Kamala and the choice of having a female Pakistani lead than it will be about any specific story arc because the plots are fairly generic. Like with Spider-Gwen, I think a lot of the praise is part confirmation bias, part praising the cast and style over the substance. This is definitely not a bad book by any means, and where it shines best is how Kamala is characterized and interacts with those around her which reminds me a lot of early Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis, but overall, I'd bet dollars to donuts if the same exact stories were on another book a year ago that hadn't been getting tons of pre-launch hype, the ratings, in general, wouldn't be so through the roof (I was actually shocked at this rating, even though I felt I agreed with it).

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post

You mean not like Young Avengers, Runaways, Generation Hope, New X-Men, PAD's Supergirl, most of the iterations of Batgirl, Claremont's classic Kitty Pryde, et al et al et al?
    The Young Avengers seem more concerned with getting in each others' pants, the Runaways are pretty much stuck in the mindset that "all adults are evil boogeymen we can't trust", and all the mutants have no life outside of the X-Men because everybody else hates them.

Kamala has a fully-alive and functioning family that she loves and respects, no personal tragedy of any kind, a social life where she's treated fairly well and is not an outcast (barring a few insensitive jerks), and a drive to do good because it's what she's been brought up to do. If anything, she's got the life every teen hero can only dream of having.
    Last edited by Myetche; 03-12-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    The Young Avengers seem more concerned with getting in each others' pants, the Runaways are pretty much stuck in the mindset that "all adults are evil boogeymen we can't trust", and all the mutants have no life outside of the X-Men because everybody else hates them.

Kamala has a fully-alive and functioning family that she loves and respects, no personal tragedy of any kind, a social life where she's treated fairly well and is not an outcast (barring a few insensitive jerks), and a drive to do good because it's what she's been brought up to do. If anything, she's got the life every teen hero can only dream of having.
    Besides that the X-men started as 5 child soldiers, and that at least two of them already had traumas.

All-New Member

The art had a definite shojo vibe to me, which I thought fit the more romantic nature of this particular story. I seriously loves me some Alphona, but I didn't miss him *too* much this time around. And the way Wilson writes Kamala is so perfect -- she nails that voice. I work with teens a lot and I can definitely see a little Kamala in all of my favorite kids!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post

Well said.Not saying that other teen books are bad, but this books just connects more. Maybe because its not layered in tragedy like many teen books are. Its so refreshing reading about a teen character who has to work within a family dynamic.

Amazing Member

This issue was super great, and Takeshi Miyazawa doing the art really made it better. Kamala is really cute in this and her expression is really charming. Hope this continues

Quote Originally Posted by kcorstel View Post
    The art had a definite shojo vibe to me, which I thought fit the more romantic nature of this particular story. I seriously loves me some Alphona, but I didn't miss him *too* much this time around. And the way Wilson writes Kamala is so perfect -- she nails that voice. I work with teens a lot and I can definitely see a little Kamala in all of my favorite kids!
    Takeshi Miyazawa can draw Ms Marvel anytime as far as I'm concerned. Knocked it out of the park with this issue. I'm really glad that both guest artists have kept Alphona's vibe and art style. it's been awesome seeing the world of Kamala's Jersey City built on up the last year.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

I just finished the issue and am blown away once again. I love the balance of silly/serious, and hope Kamala has some real tragedy (an Uncle Ben type deal) to really solidify her as a real hero, and not a girl who seems to almost feel like she is playing hero at times.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post

Babsgirl ain't no teenager. And Claremont Kitty is typical obnoxious precocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Babsgirl ain't no teenager. And Claremont Kitty is typical obnoxious precocious.
    Well, Kitty was supposed to be 13 when she joined the X-men, and Batgirl's age depends on the adaptation or who is taking the mantle, like Cassandra or Stephanie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I just finished the issue and am blown away once again. I love the balance of silly/serious, and hope Kamala has some real tragedy (an Uncle Ben type deal) to really solidify her as a real hero, and not a girl who seems to almost feel like she is playing hero at times.
    Well, that's part of her charm and what makes special and different from girls like Jeen Grey or X-23.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I personally disagree. Give her tragic moment, yes, but not to the point that someone close to her dies because she made one little mistake. We don't need her to go emo and whine about sucky it is she needs to sacrifice time as Kamala because of Ms. Marvel.