Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casanova

Casanova Acedia returns this month after a long delay.

Issues 3 and 4 in JUly and August, respectively. Collection in October, and vol 2 of Acedia starts in December with #5.

you can see the images here, but they're not great pictures. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/...milkfed-panel/

And we're back!

Great issue. Just really really great. Answers, all of which lead to more questions. I admit I'm very curious about #4, which is apparently drawn by Ba and is a flash back to the life of Amiel and fills in a lot of details from the first 3 issues. That's the structure of these arcs. I wonder how many arcs Acedia will end up being.

Who else is reading this and what did you think?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    And we're back!

Great issue. Just really really great. Answers, all of which lead to more questions. I admit I'm very curious about #4, which is apparently drawn by Ba and is a flash back to the life of Amiel and fills in a lot of details from the first 3 issues. That's the structure of these arcs. I wonder how many arcs Acedia will end up being.

Who else is reading this and what did you think?
    My store has the new issues and I almost bought today, but I hit my budget limit. I might get it next week.

I read a couple of random back issues but not having a proper context, I feel I might be missing something. Do you think it's a good idea to just jump into the new series, or should I start with past trades?

You can kind of do either, it seems. This is a clean start in the series, to an extent, but having read the previous arcs will add to what you're reading in Acedia.

I think picking up the first three Acedia issues would be a pretty fun introduction to the series, but expect to be a bit confused. I've read the previous arcs several times each and I'm confused. That's just part of what this arc is.

You can also grab the Acedia vol. 1 trade for $10 in October, I think. An economical way to dip into the series.

Invincible Member

You can kind of do either, it seems. This is a clean start in the series, to an extent, but having read the previous arcs will add to what you're reading in Acedia.

I think picking up the first three Acedia issues would be a pretty fun introduction to the series, but expect to be a bit confused. I've read the previous arcs several times each and I'm confused. That's just part of what this arc is.

You can also grab the Acedia vol. 1 trade for $10 in October, I think. An economical way to dip into the series.
    Thanks, man!

#4 wrapped up the first part of Acedia. Anyone reading this? Is it just me?

All-New Member

I've read issues #1 #2 #3.

I've enjoyed it, but it has been kind of confusing, which makes it a difficult read. Keeping in mind I've never read any Casanova before Acedia. I was debating dropping it, but the 2nd half of #3 picked up and now I gotta see what happened in #4.

I love the art style and the color by the way. I was looking at #3 thinking "Holy **** this looks badass".

I'm hoping #4 gives us a little something more, because I am about as lost as they are in the book.

Well if you're liking it, I'd highly suggest going back and reading the previous arcs. It won't really shed any light on this arc, which is slow burning compared to the others, but it'll open up a bit more of what's happening here.

Issue 4 is all flashback to Amiel's life and who he is. Art by Ba' and a Metanauts back up. It's a solid issue, it explains a bit, but again, knowledge of previous arcs helps a bit.

I think Casanova is easily my favorite comic, and this arc has been fantastic. Stick with it, it'll only get better and weirder!

I'm also willing to answer any questions you have that I'm able to answer.

Spectacular Member

you can preorder the trade for $7.84 on amazon right now.

i've relegated to trade waiting on almost everything, but i really love this series and can't wait to read the new trade.

i'm a little surprised to see avarita get so little love, that was one of my favorite reads. the "who's under the bandages" reveal was maybe my favorite single image in any comic.

I'm surprised to see Casanova get so little love in general. It's such a great book, and unlike anything else out there. Maybe that's exactly why, it's not the easiest book to follow some times.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I must say by the end of the current arc, I was feeling pretty lost. I did miss one of the earlier arcs that I still need to go back and read so maybe that would help but yeah, aside for it not always being entirely clear what's going on (though actually less so than in the past), I didn't find myself caring all that much. And I'm saying this after reading it all in one setting.

Still, I really like Fraction and I did very much enjoy the earlier arcs so I probably will continue with the series. I do think I'm moving over to trades though - especially if they're cheaper.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

You're supposed to be confused. That's part of what this arc is. It's very much its own thing, operating within the larger story, but sort of it's own trilogy contained to Acedia, instead of Luxuria/Gula/Avaritia as a trilogy. I've really enjoyed that about this arc. I assume it'll end with us back in the Casanova universe proper, with the Cass we know and love, to some extent, anyway.

Never knowing where this book is going is one of its best charms, for me.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

You're supposed to be confused. That's part of what this arc is. It's very much its own thing, operating within the larger story, but sort of it's own trilogy contained to Acedia, instead of Luxuria/Gula/Avaritia as a trilogy. I've really enjoyed that about this arc. I assume it'll end with us back in the Casanova universe proper, with the Cass we know and love, to some extent, anyway.

Never knowing where this book is going is one of its best charms, for me.
    Oh yeah, I know you're supposed to be confused. The Grant Morrison fan in me has always loved the sheer loopiness of the book but there's something about this arc that hasn't done it for me in the way previous volumes have. I think right from the off the kind of off the wall, zany, psychadelic craziness that the book is known for is a hell of a trick to pull off as such a thing can go very wrong, very quick. And though I certainly don't think it's gone completely off the rails - quite the contrary, perhaps, as this arc has actually been much quieter and more "normal" than past arcs - the trick is starting to feel a wee bit stale to me. Or maybe it really is that the more "normal" Casanova is, the less I love it.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I can understand that, but I'd argue this has been anything but "normal." Though I know what you're saying, I think there's some serious weirdness that's been creeping in around the edges from the moment it started, and increasing with each issue. With how #3 ended, I'd be surprised if we didn't see a 'return to form' with the next part of Acedia. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Personally, I really liked the occult aspect of this arc. A little less Sci-Fi, a little more something else. I don't mind the change of pace, and Casanova's never been a book interested in sitting idle. This has also been a much more decompressed story by Casanova standards. I don't mind that either, as it just means more Casanova!

On the wait and see note, I was sad to see it missing from the December solicitations, since I thought that's when it was slated to start the next arc.