Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default All New X-Men 37 - Frost and Grey Spoilers

So Bendis work has always been a real hit and miss for me, even way back when he was on the Avengers. However, this issue he seems to hit every note perfectly. Frost takes Jean to Madripoor in order to train her in the use of her powers. The real estate has really gone down there even when compared to those early Wolverine v2 issues. I can only imagine the Princess bar is now being infested with mutant rats. Bendis gets Frost right her. Emma's other superpower to a degree is keeping her cards close to her chest. An aspect of psychological warefare she prefers to be underestimated (Classic X-Men #36). Before the training session starts Frost reveals her hand; off panel she has been training with the Cuckoos and her powers are almost back to what they were. In a very Frostian manner she explains why she hasn't told anyone. I won't reveal what the rest of the issue involves but it is more or less a battle of ethos. More sins of Xavier and Blobs capitalism vs. Jeans influence by Xavier. The issue ends with Frost explaining that the training served as a dual role and Emma also wanted to troll Mystique by trashing the MGH.

Art: Is beautiful.

Excellent issue.

Extraordinary Member

I enjoyed the issue, no real complaints, but it did make me think of how this run could have turned out if this was somewhere around issue #8 or so and we had more stories like this.

Probably my favorite one episode issue of the run. And the best version of Emma via Bendis I've ever read. Wish we could have had more in this vein.

BANNED

"The Black Vortex" had been good up until this issue. Completely lost me.

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    This issue has nothing to do with black vortex. It is a standalone issue, not part of any arc.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    The Black Vortex tie-ins started in ANXM #38. This was issue #37, it was released out of order, and takes place before #38.

Anywho this was bendis'a best Emma by far. It's crazy that this will likely be her prime- in anxm- not uncanny which she is more of a main character.

This is a perfect example, IMO, of a solid "standalone" issue that doesn't feel like filler. I feel like there were genuine chatscter moments for both of them all within a self contained story. It's a shame we couldn't have more issues like this before bendis was done.

Probably one of my favorite issues of ANXM. Some solid character moments here plus I loved Del Mundo's work.

Much like the 3rd tpb of UXM featuring many one and done issues, this was another that puts the focus where it should be. Though given Jeen's reaction, this should've happened alot earlier when the ANXM came to the NXS.

The artist does a great job here picturing the crappy and most likely Post-Dazzler explosion Madripoor, but also the writing has gone up in terms of quality. Why Bendis doesn't do this alot more I don't know but it was good to see it none the less.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

This was a great issue. Agreed about Bendis being hit and miss. More hit when he's writing in his element: Personal stories done on a ground level setting. That and the combination of the gorgeous coffee table book style art drove this one home.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Excellent issue. I could just read a whole series with Emma mentoring Jean. Kinda wish we could've seen the Cuckoos and Rachel join in on the training, but this was still great.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Anywho this was bendis'a best Emma by far. It's crazy that this will likely be her prime- in anxm- not uncanny which she is more of a main character.

This is a perfect example, IMO, of a solid "standalone" issue that doesn't feel like filler. I feel like there were genuine chatscter moments for both of them all within a self contained story. It's a shame we couldn't have more issues like this before bendis was done.
    Emma has done more in ANXM overall than she has in UXM. Which I guess is fine, since teaching is her prime and ANXM fits more down that alley than in UXM.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Kinda wish we could've seen the Cuckoos and Rachel join in on the training, but this was still great.
    I'm glad that never happened. The overcrowding is a problem in Bendis books. This worked very well because it was limited to just four characters. I think his work would be much better if he limited his roster.

Great issue. Quite surprised after the lackluster and drawn out Ultimates arc.

>The art was beautiful.
    >The dialogue worked far better than the average Bendis book. Well done.
    >Emma taking away Jeen's telepathy makes sense given that Blob isn't much of a threat to a skilled telepath. No telepathy means Jeen also has to get her 'hands' dirty and actually scrap as opposed to making everyone sleep from a distance. Was Emma's aim to bring out some of that *pun intended* fire that Jeen's been trying to avoid? I think Emma's advice at the end is perfectly sound: explore everything. Once Jeen knows and can control all aspects of herself, the Phoenix won't be as scary as it seems. Learning to embrace the Phoenix instead of trying to suppress its power and desires is also an extension of this lesson, I think.
    >Favourite panels:
    Jeen channeling her inner Magneto.
    Attachment 19090
    Jeen's Neo bullet time impression.
    Attachment 19091
    Jeen smacking Blob with an ice cream truck. Brilliant. I also simply love Jeen shooting people with floating guns. It's so... 90s!
    Attachment 19092
    >This issue should have happened right after the Emma/Jeen 'psychic battle'.
    >Iceboi and Beastie Boy on the cover but not in the story? The wrong cover artist credited? *tsk*

All in all, this was an enjoyable issue that I was looking forward to for some time now. If there's a relevant variant cover to this issue, I'd buy a hard copy. This story should have been told over the course of at least 2 issues instead of the Ultimates arc or even Black Vortex.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Amazing Member

I loved this issue and it cements how Bendis can still write great dialogue and characterization.

BANNED

This issue highlighted Emma cunning aspects well.

Ignoring all the multiple errors and BMB own plots... the issue is enjoyable.

Just remember, Emma was suppose to train Jean in TP not TK in which this issue was T.Jean using TK which she really didn't need training in all things considering.