Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Default Project Superpowers: Black Cross

So....I'm confused to say the least. I mean, is Black Cross the much anticipated Warren Ellis book touted by Dynamite when he signed on? Is it a relaunch, reboot, or does it connect to what came before? Is this going to be it from Warren or is he doing a true chapter 3? So many questions and not enough answers.

This is what pisses me off about Dynamite the most. They are always in the gray area and never shine enough light on what's going on, instead they allude, hint, or outright don't tell you at all. More people would be interested if they knew what the hell was going on.
    Last edited by Bslythegamerguy; 03-12-2015 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bslythegamerguy View Post
    So....I'm confused to say the least. I mean, is Black Cross the much anticipated Warren Ellis book touted by Dynamite when he signed on? Is it a relaunch, reboot, or does it connect to what came before? Is this going to be it from Warren or is he doing a true chapter 3? So many questions and not enough answers.
    Have you read these?

http://www.newsarama.com/23030-dynam...lackcross.html

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...13022852901011

Expecting to have everything else spelled out for you unfortunately seems silly these days . . . most comic book companies don't seem to put any major stock in past continuity unless it works to the writer's advantage.

Remember, this is the age where the artist and writer have risen above the characters.

Just read the first issue and it was good if not a little vague. I loved the art and the pacing but I still feel in the Dark as to wheth or not this is a reboot or a new chapter in an existing saga that we've already been a part of. I hope the second issue can shed some ligh or someone in creative would just come out and say so.

All in all a very good first issue.

The problem with those two articles is that neither tell the reader whether it's a reboot or relaunch. It's just more gray area, unfortunately.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

We don't know yet. It's a mystery, like the story itself. I'd say enjoy it on its own terms, then worry about its universal implications later.

It was a solid first issue that left me wanting more, but kinda disappointing in that it came out on the same day as Supreme: Blue Rose 7, a series in which Ellis was exploring similiar themes. I'll be continuing on with it, though.

I've been reading reviews for this book and it appears as if it's almost universally considered a reboot with no apparent connection to what came before. It makes sense when you read it because of the way they make references to naming superheroes as if it's just catching on and that "their time is now". Very interesting....

Can someone explain to me what this is? Is it like Warren Ellis' superhero universe? I literally know nothing, but the name sounds interesting and Warren Ellis. Does the art suck? Because it seems like I never really enjoy Dynamite art.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Expecting to have everything else spelled out for you unfortunately seems silly these days . . . most comic book companies don't seem to put any major stock in past continuity unless it works to the writer's advantage.
    You must not be reading Valiant.

Remember, this is the age where the artist and writer have risen above the characters.
    That's a good thing.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    Can someone explain to me what this is? Is it like Warren Ellis' superhero universe? I literally know nothing, but the name sounds interesting and Warren Ellis. Does the art suck? Because it seems like I never really enjoy Dynamite art.

You must not be reading Valiant.

That's a good thing.
    Project Superpowers came out in 2008 via Dynamite where they revamped a slew of classic superheroes that were in the public domain for a modern audience. The first series had huge success debuting at #4 on the top 300 and hanging around within the top 100 during its run, while the second series found moderate success following. They expanded it into a set of mini's and ongoing books and then out of nowhere Dynamite kind of forgot they were publishing this universe and it went dormant for a solid 3 years until they released a mini based upon a character from the book in 2013, and now Black Cross. Picture it a massive universe of heroes living within a single comic (before the expansion), similar to Masks from Dynamite.
    Last edited by Bslythegamerguy; 03-13-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Project Superpowers came out in 2008 via Dynamite where they revamped a slew of classic superheroes that were in the public domain for a modern audience. The first series had huge success debuting at #4 on the top 300 and hanging around within the top 100 during its run, while the second series found moderate success following. They expanded it into a set of mini's and ongoing books and then out of nowhere Dynamite kind of forgot they were publishing this universe and it went dormant for a solid 3 years until they released a mini based upon a character from the book in 2013, and now Black Cross. Picture it a massive universe of heroes living within a single comic (before the expansion), similar to Masks from Dynamite.
    So, umm.. more importantly.. should I read any of it? Specifically this latest Ellis issue?
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics

BANNED

So, umm.. more importantly.. should I read any of it? Specifically this latest Ellis issue?
    Well they've only released 1 issue so who knows, but the first issue was good. It was about this haunted town where mysterious things are happening, it seems to have comic book characters taking possession of humans, or humans who we're once superheroes are re-emerging as whom they used to be. It's very Ellis.

Regarding Project Superpowers, well i would recommend Alex Ross' Dynamite Art book which shows you cool sketches and designs of the various characters. :b

If you love superheroes from the golden age revamped for a modern audience than absolutely you should read it! The new Black Cross was good and is still on issue #1 so you can jump in there, or dive into the TPB or single issues of the first series. You'll dig it.

If you love superheroes from the golden age revamped for a modern audience than absolutely you should read it! The new Black Cross was good and is still on issue #1 so you can jump in there, or dive into the TPB or single issues of the first series. You'll dig it.
    Ok, I'll check it out with this sale on Comixology. I'm not into old ****, but I like revamped superheroes. I wasn't really happy with their Gold Key relaunch though, so I'm pretty nervous.

I've noticed that no one has answere my query about the art? Does it suck?

Define "suck".

It's stylized, so it's not standard superhero artwork from the past, but beyond that . . . it sort of depends on what you like and don't like, doesn't it?

The art is modern, I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially in the second series. All in all it was tight.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Depends on what you mean. Colton Worley is a very naturalistic storteller in the realistic vein. If you love say, Moebius or Walt Simonson (as you should), then his art may be disappointing, but that's not really what Ellis is trying to accomplish. I think the art perfectly fits the story.