Page 142 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 2663

Ha, Screwattack just made their latest DBX and guess who showed up? That's right, it's Iron Fist vs. Akuma!

That's just say this is a very interesting commentary on season 1 of the Netflix series.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I could probably see Danny being a street fighter fan when he was younger.

I wouldnt mind another teamup with Colleen and the other weapons. Outside of John and Fat cobra i cant say i know the weapons all that well. Dog brother was described as a prankster assassin but that felt more of an informed trait than a real one.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-05-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Amazing Member

Interview with Kaare Andrews about Immortal Iron Fists, includes preview pages:

http://www.cbr.com/interview-kaare-andrews-iron-fist/

(Danny's mixing kung fu with cleaning... )

I started reading the current run of Iron Fist. It is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post
    Interview with Kaare Andrews about Immortal Iron Fists, includes preview pages:

http://www.cbr.com/interview-kaare-andrews-iron-fist/

(Danny's mixing kung fu with cleaning... )
    Thanks for the post Eduardo! Here are a couple of my thoughts on it:

I always viewed him as a lovable but selfish character. [Laughs] He has a group of friends, but he doesn’t necessarily have larger responsibilities. There’s a certain point where a martial artist transitions from student to master, and passes along their training to the next generation. So I thought having Danny play the role of the Thunderer to the next generation of Iron Fists would be a fun way to reinvest in his core and his origin.
    Yeah, Danny is not a father, and I don’t want him to be a dad. That’s not my intention. When you have a young person charged in your care, though, you have to be more than just a teacher. [Laughs] You have to take care of that person. And, like I said, he’s a bit of a selfish character. It’s not that he doesn’t care about Pei. It’s that he just doesn’t understand. He grew up in the private education system with all the money in the world. He may not understand what exactly he’s asking when he puts Pei into the public school system as an outsider.

It’s not just in terms of wealth either. It’s worlds. She came from an entirely different world, and I think it would be quite a shock for anyone to be suddenly plunged into the chaos of the public school system, let alone someone who grew up training to be a warrior.
    Danny's obtuse nature kinda got to me in Iron Fists. As a teacher, I was frustrated with the way that Danny seemed to be unaware of the treatment that Pei is enduring at an American public school. Still am in a way. However, I can relate to the fact that adults don't always catch these things. And yes, Danny's experiences are different. He may be aware of the bruises Pei is getting at school and may liken this to the treatment he got back in K'un Lun. But the sarcasm and cattiness of tween girls? He doesn't understand that.

Yes, eventually their stories will be very connected. We begin with these two people, Danny and Pei, who are a little disconnected. Through this storyline we’re going to push them further apart and ultimately bring them back together and reinvest in their relationship. Hopefully, if everyone survives, they will be stronger for it and more connected than before, and will have learned lessons along the way about how to be who they are in the now and not who they think they should be.
    Alright, Danny's heart is in the right place, but he may be off here. He reminds me in a way of Goku, and so I can overlook that. However, I do hope that Danny and Pei gain a better understanding.

On another note, yeah, Danny trying to clean the apartment with Kung Fu is funny. He's trying to be the Thunderer, and failing at it, which makes for good comedy. Here's hoping he becomes a good mentor here.

When they asked if I wanted to do more with Pei I was kind of finished with Iron Fist. I had my turn at bat, but I felt like Pei was so new that I barely got a chance to investigate her and say what I wanted to say with her. So I really wanted to be the person to give her that initial foundation that could later be built on. I loved the character and wanted to spend some more time with her before I said goodbye.
    Here here! I'm glad that Andrews is the one to lay the foundation for Pei because quite honestly probably no one else would have done it. Andrews is building solid characterization for Pei here, and I do like what I'm seeing!

Andrews goes on to talk about the art (which gets better with each issue), the use of Chinese mythology and demons (hmmm, as the Chinese religion scholar here, I'm interested in this), and the timing of the series to coincide with SDCC (which was a brilliant move by the way).

Looking forward to more of this series!
    "I am a man of peace."

Ultimate Member

I just picked up the most recent issue cuz Shang Chi was in it. I was pleasantly surprised.

Astonishing Member

My apologies for not remembering to post this......but hopefully the readers have gotten to enjoy Danny (and his friends/Defenders) within SECRET EMPIRE #8.

Glad i took the wait and see approach with Defenders. That was actually pretty bad ass.

Good recovery in Defenders #4. Thrilled to see Iron Fist wasn't laid out. Though I have to wonder why there was so much inconsistency? One minute Diamondback is easily blocking Iron Fists, the next he's getting mauled. Could IGH be that unstable?

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    My apologies for not remembering to post this......but hopefully the readers have gotten to enjoy Danny (and his friends/Defenders) within SECRET EMPIRE #8.
    He had the second best line in the book! Dug it.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Glad i took the wait and see approach with Defenders. That was actually pretty bad ass.

Oh yes, Defenders #4 really showed just how amazing Danny can be. Initially I thought that it would just showcase Jessica (who still had an amazing showing by the way). However, this issue really proved Danny's toughness and fighting skills. What I appreciated the most in that scene wasn't necessary Danny's Iron Fist. Rather, if you notice the panel closely, you'll see him employ finger and joint locks on Diamondback. I've heard how some real-life Jiujitsu masters do that, but to see Danny do this subtle, yet effective technique was awesome. My compliments to Marquez who is that skilled enough to capture the detail of this technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Good recovery in Defenders #4. Thrilled to see Iron Fist wasn't laid out. Though I have to wonder why there was so much inconsistency? One minute Diamondback is easily blocking Iron Fists, the next he's getting mauled. Could IGH be that unstable?
    I took it another way. Diamondback isn't inconsistent. Rather, Danny is a lot tougher than people realize. Yeah, he commented that he was in excruciating pain after taking that backbreaker from Diamondback, but somehow was still able to put up a hell of a fight.

You go Danny!
    "I am a man of peace."

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Anybody catch Iron Fists #2? Again, a great issue that further expands on Danny and Pei. Great seeing Danny trying (and failing) to be a mentor and Pei playing against the expectations of middle school cliques. Indeed, Pei is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters!

As an aside, in the past two or so weeks, we've had Danny in what 3,4 titles (Iron Fist #6, Defenders #4, Secret Empire #8, and Iron Fists #2). How fantastic has this been?

Looking forward to Danny having a good showing in the Defenders Netflix series next week! Keeping the iron fists crossed!
    "I am a man of peace."

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post

He had the second best line in the book! Dug it.
    I thought the way Ben Urich described the IGH, that it grants one second at a peek of your ultimate potential,Followed by a rush that lasts for hours. I think Diamondback got that one second of his full potential and then his power levels diminished.Just a guess.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

IMHO, Iron Fists #2 was garbage. It was just another entry in a long line of Marvel books where the straight, white, male hero is almost totally incompetent and female, minority is almost perfect. Let's imagine a book where, say, Psylocke trains a young, white boy in martial arts and psychic abilities but she's always messing things up and he's way better even though he just started. It would never happen.

At one point Pei even beats up a locker room of guys after incorrectly assuming they were part of a kidnapping. Even if she was correct (which might be revealed in the future?) imagine if that kind of hair-trigger use of violence was reversed? Imagine a comic where a young boy beats up a locker room full of girls on nothing more than a hunch? And then, when feeling guilty about it later, the mentor tells them not to feel guilty because "power should feel good."

This book is shaping up to just be more of Marvel's ideological warfare. And to me, that kind of non-inclusive story telling isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Plus, Pei's new friends immediately ask where she's from -- a question which any good social justice person should know is against the rules. So, the book shouldn't even be welcome in that crowd.

For shame all around, Iron Fists, for shame.
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    IMHO, Iron Fists #2 was garbage. It was just another entry in a long line of Marvel books where the straight, white, male hero is almost totally incompetent and female, minority is almost perfect. Let's imagine a book where, say, Psylocke trains a young, white boy in martial arts and psychic abilities but she's always messing things up and he's way better even though he just started. It would never happen.

At one point Pei even beats up a locker room of guys after incorrectly assuming they were part of a kidnapping. Even if she was correct (which might be revealed in the future?) imagine if that kind of hair-trigger use of violence was reversed? Imagine a comic where a young boy beats up a locker room full of girls on nothing more than a hunch? And then, when feeling guilty about it later, the mentor tells them not to feel guilty because "power should feel good."

This book is shaping up to just be more of Marvel's ideological warfare. And to me, that kind of non-inclusive story telling isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Plus, Pei's new friends immediately ask where she's from -- a question which any good social justice person should know is against the rules. So, the book shouldn't even be welcome in that crowd.

For shame all around, Iron Fists, for shame.
    How is it that Pei is portrayed as perfect while making so many mistakes, such as beating up the boys and listening to her probably-evil nanny?

The answer is that she isn't being portrayed as perfect at all. She and Danny are both making mistakes, and Danny's mistakes strike me as perfectly in character. Maybe you can go back and read it for what it is rather than what you want it to be.

I really liked the cleaning scene.

I really liked the whole thing.

The art is fantastic.

And this take on Danny - "aloof business dad" - is yet another deft addition to his overall characterization. I didn't find it hard to imagine this Danny as the Danny who is travelling to find K'un Lun in the solo comic.

-Pav, who loves how Gork is drawn...

PS: This issue wasn't printed on any paper. It's digital-only.
    Last edited by Pav; 08-09-2017 at 07:27 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details