Page 167 of 178 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 2663
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Just googled Phantom Limb and nothing new popped up. Still excited for it tho as it feels like a direction I wanna see Danny go in (I love Urban fantasy) and the other two webcomic minisiries are pretty good.

I'm in the camp that loved season 2 and think it's better than season 1 by leaps and bound. Despite a few concerns here and there (i wish luke and jeri popped up and joy was odd upon thinking about) I'm legitimately excited for a potential season 3.
    I believe with these digital comics, we'll get longer stories. I believe this comic will be 32 pages from what I heard?

If we get more stories, I'm all for digital comics. I'll buy this series.

Mighty Member

Wow. WTF!!! I just watched season 2 and Netflix Iron Fist just did a F-You to true Iron Fist fans. So basically anyone can be Iron Fist. It does not have to be earned. You do not have to practice Kung Fu for countless years, you do not have to have special chi training and you do not have to face and defeat Shau-Lau the undying? All you need is a super special tattoo and you to can be an Iron Fist. Davos was right in that the Netflix Danny Rand is the worst Iron Fist of all time.

I started out enjoying the show in the early episodes and then ended up hating the ending. It seems the Netflix producers and writers do not truly understand the character and mythology of Iron Fist. To them it it just a mystical/magical tattoo that anyone can wear. There is no martial arts heritage or lineage in the show. There is really no Thunderer in the show. An Iron Fist is not suppose to be chosen, it is a mantle that is earned. It is not suppose to be given. You can tell the writers have no concept of the history, heritage or the importance of lineage of martial arts. Why does this show keep breaking my heart?

I would have went more in depth but I could not remember how to use the spoiler tags.

BANNED

Well dude, Iron Fist was always a "high whitey mighty" type of character, they might as well try to fix it and well, considering, this is a good compromise.

Not really. And I'd hardly call Iron Fist a "high whitey mighty" character.

BANNED

The entire concept was basically Asian culture used as an object. Which, I love Marvel, but some things I can't defend, you know? So, this seems like a cool compromise I think I call it that but it was needed. I mean, only thing missing is Pei herself from the comics since she's supposed to be the new Iron Fist but I'll take what I can get.

That and well, this woman had a point.

https://twitter.com/marjoriemliu/sta...62092303892480
    Last edited by MarvelFan91; 09-11-2018 at 03:54 PM.

We've been over this many times in this thread and most do not agree. At its heart Iron Fist is about a man who learns martial arts in a hidden city and returns in order to take vengeance against the man who murdered his father and left him and his mother to die. The racial makeup of the cities inhabitants being Asian wasn't important, and indeed nothing in the first season of Iron Fist suggested they were all Asian.

BANNED

Even if I didn't agree, it's important to, I don't know, listen to actual Asian people on the subject-critics and writers especially. Even of the writer of Phantom Limb has expressed issues with the character and his origin. The way I see it, the second season subtly addressed it.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Wow. WTF!!! I just watched season 2 and Netflix Iron Fist just did a F-You to true Iron Fist fans. So basically anyone can be Iron Fist. It does not have to be earned. You do not have to practice Kung Fu for countless years, you do not have to have special chi training and you do not have to face and defeat Shau-Lau the undying? All you need is a super special tattoo and you to can be an Iron Fist. Davos was right in that the Netflix Danny Rand is the worst Iron Fist of all time.
    Shou Lao, fyi.

Second, the fact that Steel Serpent was able to take the Iron Fist (in the comics) demonstrates that it can be taken. Danny is special because he fought and won against the dragon and plunged his fist into its heart that happened to be in a container. That doesn't mean other people can't wield the power or that Danny will lose that accomplishment even if he loses the power.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelFan91 View Post
    The entire concept was basically Asian culture used as an object. Which, I love Marvel, but some things I can't defend, you know? So, this seems like a cool compromise I think I call it that but it was needed. I mean, only thing missing is Pei herself from the comics since she's supposed to be the new Iron Fist but I'll take what I can get.

That and well, this woman had a point.

https://twitter.com/marjoriemliu/sta...62092303892480
    Serious question:

Wouldn't casting an Asian actor to play Iron Fist just be playing into the stereotype? How is that better?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Serious question:

Wouldn't casting an Asian actor to play Iron Fist just be playing into the stereotype? How is that better?
    At this point, that is less of a concern especially since guys like Jackie Chan aren't going to last forever. That being said, that's why an Asian-American showrunner should have been hired.
    Last edited by MarvelFan91; 09-11-2018 at 05:02 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4jo9TkKaYk

There's no version of Iron Fist that would satisfy them.

Even if I didn't agree, it's important to, I don't know, listen to actual Asian people on the subject-critics and writers especially. Even of the writer of Phantom Limb has expressed issues with the character and his origin. The way I see it, the second season subtly addressed it.
    Okay. Then listen to me. As an Asian-American fan of Iron Fist for many years, I'm well aware of the white savior controversy surrounding Iron Fist. (And as someone who has a lot of Asian-American friends who are trying their damned best to make it in the world of movies and TV, I get the struggle. Believe me). As has been mentioned, we Iron Fist fans have debated, talked, and discussed this topic over and over throughout the years. What we've decided is that at the end of the day, a white Danny Rand is hero who cares for and protects others. He's been an example of bridging racial divides for well over 40 something years. There's nothing wrong with a white person going to a foreign land and becoming the best there. If you think that Danny has been saying that he's better than the yellow people, then that tells me you haven't been reading Iron Fist. STILL, we've had a ton of stories of white people doing this. So yeah, we should see more PoC's (and Asians especially) getting attention. Someone like Pei is a step in the right direction.

But if you're saying that Danny didn't earn the Iron Fist? That it's not his mantle? That it was given to him? Then you are wrong. He fought hard for that title. And shows that anyone, even an outsider, can become a champion. As far as I'm concerned, that point beats any other.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I started out enjoying the show in the early episodes and then ended up hating the ending. It seems the Netflix producers and writers do not truly understand the character and mythology of Iron Fist. To them it it just a mystical/magical tattoo that anyone can wear. There is no martial arts heritage or lineage in the show. There is really no Thunderer in the show. An Iron Fist is not suppose to be chosen, it is a mantle that is earned. It is not suppose to be given. You can tell the writers have no concept of the history, heritage or the importance of lineage of martial arts. Why does this show keep breaking my heart?

I would have went more in depth but I could not remember how to use the spoiler tags.
    I understand your points Taozen. Still, I'm against the grain in this decision. Did Colleen struggle ten years in K'un - L'un, pounding fists against rocks and enduring daily beatings from Lei Kung? No, she hasn't. She didn't face Shou-Lao the Undying or the challenge of the One. However, in the TV series, one can tell that she is equal to Danny in some regards. In the latter episodes she was his sensei. They have fought and have been on equal terms of fighting in some episodes. I think the point the show was making was that Colleen was more centered and calmer than Danny. Danny admitted this (which is a great show of maturity on his part. Seriously, my love for Danny Rand as a character has gone up super high because of that.) That kind of peace would make her a better holder of the Iron Fist. Plus, she has the pedigree being a descendant of Wu-Ao Shi (which is something I've been waiting for for decades. We finally get to see the descendants of Iron Fists! Hope that we see that in the comics).

Is Danny no longer the Iron Fist? I saw him using Iron Fist bullets during the last episode, so he got some semblance of them back. Plus, c'mon, we all know that by Daughters of the Dragon season 1, or Iron Fist Season 3, Danny is going to get his Iron Fist back. I'm not too worried about that.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Okay. Then listen to me. As an Asian-American fan of Iron Fist for many years, I'm well aware of the white savior controversy surrounding Iron Fist. (And as someone who has a lot of Asian-American friends who are trying their damned best to make it in the world of movies and TV, I get the struggle. Believe me). As has been mentioned, we Iron Fist fans have debated, talked, and discussed this topic over and over throughout the years. What we've decided is that at the end of the day, a white Danny Rand is hero who cares for and protects others. He's been an example of bridging racial divides for well over 40 something years. There's nothing wrong with a white person going to a foreign land and becoming the best there. If you think that Danny has been saying that he's better than the yellow people, then that tells me you haven't been reading Iron Fist. STILL, we've had a ton of stories of white people doing this. So yeah, we should see more PoC's (and Asians especially) getting attention. Someone like Pei is a step in the right direction.

But if you're saying that Danny didn't earn the Iron Fist? That it's not his mantle? That it was given to him? Then you are wrong. He fought hard for that title. And shows that anyone, even an outsider, can become a champion. As far as I'm concerned, that point beats any other.
    I've read plenty, trust me on that (my gold standard for Iron Fist stories are the Kaare Andrews books since it actually addresses the problem-even as subtext). Admittedly, I'm mixed on your response since you sound reasonable and there ae some aspects I agree with (glad we both agree about Pei). However, I don't see eye to eye with the origin not being problematic but not exactly my place to say why to you. That I'd leave up to other Asian-Americans. I mean, besides Marjorie Liu, there is Nancy Wang Yuen. I can't say they'll fully agree or disagree but not exactly my place since I'm not Asian.

Now if you were a rude quack siding with Comicgaters, I'd be a lot more abrasive I admit but you seem reasonable.
    Last edited by MarvelFan91; 09-11-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Quoted for Truth and 100% Agree.

Well dude, Iron Fist was always a "high whitey mighty" type of character, they might as well try to fix it and well, considering, this is a good compromise.
    Anyone, and I do mean ANYONE who can write something like this demonstrates that they know nothing really about the character outside of surface stuff.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 09-11-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.