Page 102 of 178 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2663

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    Yeah but the point remains is domino is white .
    Did you even read the tweet?

The dude that CREATED HER said he never gave her a race.

This isn't the same situation. Danny is 100% Caucasian.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I haven't seen a whole lot of complaints from Tan. And given Jones' performance is one of the biggest criticisms of the show...

And as I said, the race thing is not the only issue people are talking about. It just stands out more because the show is so bad. Note that people mostly forgot about the Tilda Swinton Ancient One thing once the film came out.
    I hope its forgotten after the it comes out.

All I've seen is people seeing he doesn't look like he knows martial arts, which is a stunt issue obviously. And that the character acts 'too zen' which he's meant to. The other reviews have been more positive and said he's purposefully naive and likable, which again he's meant to be.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Did you even read the tweet?

The dude that CREATED HER said he never gave her a race.

This isn't the same situation. Danny is 100% Caucasian.
    I'm not talking about liefeld I'm talking about later writers who worked on the character not liefeld.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Gail Simone once again droning on and on about why Iron Fist should be asian.

Claims Iron Fist is her favourite character and yet denying that the fact he's a white guy is a core element of his naivety and privilege or his dynamics and re-education in Power Man & Iron Fist

Kinda sad really.
    Gail's been slowly becoming more obnoxious in the last year or so. I really did like her at first, but she's said some really questionable things even not pertaining to Iron Fist. I do recall her saying if she ever did have the opportunity to write Iron Fist, she'd change his race. Don't see how that's possible other than outright replacing him, so I find her claims of him being her favourite character utter crap lol

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Isn't Quake the first Asian lead in the MCU? :P But yes I agree, this seems to be the crux everyone is using and they're not justifying much else in their bad reviews.
    It's why I'm still holding out with a sliver of hope, really. I mean, we might not be seeing the dragon, or the costume, or a lot of the mysticism, but from what we do get, we might still be very well entertained.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Gail's been slowly becoming more obnoxious in the last year or so. I really did like her at first, but she's said some really questionable things even not pertaining to Iron Fist. I do recall her saying if she ever did have the opportunity to write Iron Fist, she'd change his race. Don't see how that's possible other than outright replacing him, so I find her claims of him being her favourite character utter crap lol

It's why I'm still holding out with a sliver of hope, really. I mean, we might not be seeing the dragon, or the costume, or a lot of the mysticism, but from what we do get, we might still be very well entertained.
    Only thing giving me hope right now is that they've cast Zhou Cheng, which is backdoor confirming they're doing the lineage of Iron Fists from the Immortal run.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I hate how the critics of the iron fist Netflix series are saying having a white guy playing Danny rand aka iron fist is whitewashing even though he's always been white in the comics yet they attack critics of the domino casting for the deadpool sequel because they're upset that they cast a non Caucasian actress to play domino people the critics are honestly just hypocrites.
    I think the criticisms of Danny being white is less that it's "whitewashing" and more that it plays into the white savior trope. Of course, making him Asian just plays into the stereotype of all Asians knowing martial arts.

Good luck to the netflix series, hope it's successful.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think the criticisms of Danny being white is less that it's "whitewashing" and more that it plays into the white savior trope. Of course, making him Asian just plays into the stereotype of all Asians knowing martial arts.
    Some have called it whitewashing though, but the White Savior trope is more accurate, and it is possible the show didn't handle it as well as they could have.

But to your other point, that's exactly what I'm saying. It wouldn't be representation to make Danny Asian or Asian American. It would be pandering and it would be low key racist. That's why I don't understand why everyone wanted that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Some have called it whitewashing though, but the White Savior trope is more accurate, and it is possible the show didn't handle it as well as they could have.

But to your other point, that's exactly what I'm saying. It wouldn't be representation to make Danny Asian or Asian American. It would be pandering and it would be low key racist. That's why I don't understand why everyone wanted that.
    It wouldn't have to be if the show handled it well. The issue isn't Asian characters being martial artists but that martial arts is all there is to them. There could have been more to an Asian Danny besides being as Asiana guy who could fight. Just as how there was more to Luke than being a black with a criminal past.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    This is not the same thing.

Domino isn't caucasian. She is literally "white" lol. Her creator said...

this isn't the same at all
    Wait. You mean people are complaining about Domino despite the fact the creator himself didn't assign her an ethnicity and so all an actress has to do is put on white paint and its good to go?!

Just...just why?!
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

''Iron Fist'' Star Finn Jones Blames Donald Trump For Negative Reaction To Netflix Series:

I think the world has changed a lot since we were filming that television show. I’m playing a white American billionaire superhero, at a time when the white American billionaire archetype is public enemy number one, especially in the US. We filmed the show way before Trump’s election, and I think it’s very interesting to see how that perception, now that Trump’s in power, how it makes it very difficult to root for someone coming from white privilege, when that archetype is public enemy number one. Danny is a fish out of water, and you don’t really understand where he’s coming from. But I think there’s also a level of intrigue. People need to see the full series–’Iron Fist’ doesn’t end until the last episode of ‘Defenders.’ He really goes on a journey of self-discovery, and grows into the role. It’s paced out; it’s a long journey.
    Oh dear...

I won't say he's outright wrong but if you really think about it, there's a bit of a point there. And I don't think it's all Trump. I think part of it is everyone suddenly becoming "woke" and PC. I mean, WB/DC has whitewashed Ra's al Ghul twice, whitewashed Bane and Talia al Ghul, essentially made both Oliver Queen (CW) and Bruce Wayne (TDKT) Mighty Whiteys and I don't remember anyone complaining about it, but ever since the Great Wokening of 2014, everyone's been on a lookout for culture appropriation, which has been both a good thing and a band thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Wait. You mean people are complaining about Domino despite the fact the creator himself didn't assign her an ethnicity and so all an actress has to do is put on white paint and its good to go?!

Just...just why?!
    Not sure, but I guarantee that the people complaining are screaming about snowflakes with no sense of irony.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

So...they'd be screwed either way?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

''Iron Fist'' Star Finn Jones Blames Donald Trump For Negative Reaction To Netflix Series:

Oh dear...

I won't say he's outright wrong but if you really think about it, there's a bit of a point there. And I don't think it's all Trump. I think part of it is everyone suddenly becoming "woke" and PC. I mean, WB/DC has whitewashed Ra's al Ghul twice, whitewashed Bane and Talia al Ghul, essentially made both Oliver Queen (CW) and Bruce Wayne (TDKT) Mighty Whiteys and I don't remember anyone complaining about it, but ever since the Great Wokening of 2014, everyone's been on a lookout for culture appropriation, which has been both a good thing and a band thing.
    Oh god Jones stop talking at this point.

Oh lawd where are the Marvel Snipers. Did Feige take them all during the divorce....
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I think they should have just focused on writing a compelling Kung Fu narrative, and focused on making that good.

Now Marvel will just assume, "Durr... people don't like martial arts, better not make a Shang Chi show."
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum