Page 103 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2663
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It wouldn't have to be if the show handled it well. The issue isn't Asian characters being martial artists but that martial arts is all there is to them. There could have been more to an Asian Danny besides being as Asiana guy who could fight. Just as how there was more to Luke than being a black with a criminal past.
    That still doesn't change the fact that those are still stereotypes. Nobody asks for an Asian lead until said character has some connection to Asian culture. That's what always happens with these things. Why didn't anyone clamor for an Asian Iron Man, or Daredevil, or Jessica Jones, or Hulk (since we have one now in the comics), or countless other superheroes in film who are white? Because as much as people want to make themselves feel better about caring for Asian representation, they are just pretending. You can't fix a stereotype with another stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    So...they'd be screwed either way?
    Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Oh god Jones stop talking at this point.

Oh lawd where are the Marvel Snipers. Did Feige take them all during the divorce....
    Yea he really needs to stop. I'm sure he's really upset because he's wanted to play a role like this for so long and now that he has, no one likes it. But he's also not helping

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    That still doesn't change the fact that those are still stereotypes. Nobody asks for an Asian lead until said character has some connection to Asian culture. That's what always happens with these things. Why didn't anyone clamor for an Asian Iron Man, or Daredevil, or Jessica Jones, or Hulk (since we have one now in the comics), or countless other superheroes in film who are white? Because as much as people want to make themselves feel better about caring for Asian representation, they are just pretending. You can't fix a stereotype with another stereotype.
    I'd like to see Namor be asian, hopefully in film rather than a Netflix/TV series.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Oh god Jones stop talking at this point.

Oh lawd where are the Marvel Snipers. Did Feige take them all during the divorce....
    That's a weird point to take since Danny is really suppose to be a typical rich billionaire...

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I'd like to see Namor be asian, hopefully in film rather than a Netflix/TV series.
    Now I personally won't mind that

''Iron Fist'' Star Finn Jones Blames Donald Trump For Negative Reaction To Netflix Series:

I think the world has changed a lot since we were filming that television show. I’m playing a white American billionaire superhero, at a time when the white American billionaire archetype is public enemy number one, especially in the US. We filmed the show way before Trump’s election, and I think it’s very interesting to see how that perception, now that Trump’s in power, how it makes it very difficult to root for someone coming from white privilege, when that archetype is public enemy number one. Danny is a fish out of water, and you don’t really understand where he’s coming from. But I think there’s also a level of intrigue. People need to see the full series–’Iron Fist’ doesn’t end until the last episode of ‘Defenders.’ He really goes on a journey of self-discovery, and grows into the role. It’s paced out; it’s a long journey.

Oh dear...

I won't say he's outright wrong but if you really think about it, there's a bit of a point there. And I don't think it's all Trump. I think part of it is everyone suddenly becoming "woke" and PC. I mean, WB/DC has whitewashed Ra's al Ghul twice, whitewashed Bane and Talia al Ghul, essentially made both Oliver Queen (CW) and Bruce Wayne (TDKT) Mighty Whiteys and I don't remember anyone complaining about it, but ever since the Great Wokening of 2014, everyone's been on a lookout for culture appropriation, which has been both a good thing and a band thing.
    Finn should definitely lay low for a bit. It's not so much what he's saying that's outright wrong, just moreso the fact people can selectively take what he says and rip into him for it.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 03-14-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Finn should definitely lay low for a bit. It's not so much what he's saying that's outright wrong, just moreso the fact people can selectively take what he says and rip into him for it.
    There is simply no way he can win an argument like this. Trying to just fans flames.

He should simply talk about the things he feels are good about the show and leave the controversy (and politics oh lawd) behind.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

The larger problem is Finn can't talk properly about the problems because he's Marvel now.

Unlike Lewis Tan, Finn can't crap on his own show because he's the lead and wants to be employed again lol.

It must really suck to do the press tour for this show and just be hit with this white washing bs over and over though.

A journalist interviewed him like 6 months ago and just released the interview to make it seem like fresh counterarguments to his twitter war incident.

It think it's impossible to deny the media has a SJW-esque beef with Iron Fist and wants to tear it down.

That still doesn't change the fact that those are still stereotypes.
    Again, a Danny Rand who is Asian and well written would not be a stereotype. If there was more to him than being an Asian guy who knows kung fu it would have been okay.

Nobody asks for an Asian lead until said character has some connection to Asian culture. That's what always happens with these things. Why didn't anyone clamor for an Asian Iron Man, or Daredevil, or Jessica Jones, or Hulk (since we have one now in the comics), or countless other superheroes in film who are white?
    Um, because those guys’ origins don’t have any connection to Asian culture like you said?

Because as much as people want to make themselves feel better about caring for Asian representation, they are just pretending.
    Why do you feel like they’re pretending?

You can't fix a stereotype with another stereotype.
    Which is not what people are asking for. Again, no one wants an Asian Iron Fist who is just a stereotype.

The issue is with an American Asian Iron Fist in this narrative it's a complete stereotype factory.

A modern Asian American is taken to a asian city, and regressed from modernist to stereotypes of the 70s, coming back know kung fu and mysticism.

How is that not going to be a far bigger stereotype issue than the white guy doing it? White saviour tropes are annoying but they're super common, it wouldn't be anywhere near as unseemly as taking a modern Asian American and essentially walking them back into a box they 'belong in' ie knowing kung fu.

Again, a Danny Rand who is Asian and well written would not be a stereotype. If there was more to him than being an Asian guy who knows kung fu it would have been okay.
    How is an Asian character that knows martial arts, no matter how "well written" he is not a stereotype? Please explain that to me. Why can't Danny Rand be white, know martial arts, be well written (because he has been in the comics) and not be a problem to people? Why can't he be seen as more than just a stereotype as a white person(Mighty Whitey, White Savior)? Why would making him Asian (just to pander to a PC audience and turn off his core fans) make the situation any different?

Um, because those guys’ origins don’t have any connection to Asian culture like you said?
    So a character should only be Asian if he has a connection to Asian culture? You're basically confirming my point.

Why do you feel like they’re pretending?
    Most people think pandering and diversity/representation are the same thing. That's why.

Which is not what people are asking for. Again, no one wants an Asian Iron Fist who is just a stereotype.
    Refer to my first response.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    The issue is with an American Asian Iron Fist in this narrative it's a complete stereotype factory.

A modern Asian American is taken to a asian city, and regressed from modernist to stereotypes of the 70s, coming back know kung fu and mysticism.

How is that not going to be a far bigger stereotype issue than the white guy doing it? White saviour tropes are annoying but they're super common, it wouldn't be anywhere near as unseemly as taking a modern Asian American and essentially walking them back into a box they 'belong in' ie knowing kung fu.
    Someone gets it.

Unlike Lewis Tan, Finn can't crap on his own show because he's the lead and wants to be employed again lol.
    What is with Lewis Tan throwing shade anyways? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

A journalist interviewed him like 6 months ago and just released the interview to make it seem like fresh counterarguments to his twitter war incident.
    Is that what happened?? Wow lol. Even I thought that interview was recent.

There is simply no way he can win an argument like this. Trying to just fans flames.

He should simply talk about the things he feels are good about the show and leave the controversy (and politics oh lawd) behind.
    I agree. Should've from the beginning tbh

Good writing can solve a number of problems, with a white or Asian Danny Rand, but at this point it's just hearsay.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Yes, you could have a Brazilian iron fist or a black iron fist but what would be the point? Just for diversities sake?

I'm all for race bending when it impacts the story in zero ways (Nick Fury, Heimdall etc) but Danny is still one of the few characters who has a legit case for being cast as a white dude, the only other two are Daredevil and Captain America. Everyone else could be race bent and change nothing in terms of story.