Page 108 of 178 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 2663

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    What would be the top 5 Iron Fist stories to read for some interested in iron fist due to the Netflix show?
    Okay, these are the stories I'd pick to give a good sampling of Iron Fist and his mythology:

Marvel Premiere #15
    Why: It's Iron Fist's debut story, and it has great art by Gil Kane and Dick Giodano.

Marvel Team-Up #63-64
    Why: It gives you background on Davos, arguably Danny's greatest enemy, and while it's not Claremont and Byrne at the top of their game, they are a quality creative team.

Power Man and Iron Fist #74-75 (Return to K'un-Lun)
    Why: It's the first time Iron Fist gets to return to K'un-Lun, it's Luke and Danny together, it tells you more about K'un-Lun; also Kerry Gammil is underrated as an artist.

The Immortal Iron Fist #1-6 (The Last Iron Fist Story)
    Why:It really redefines Iron Fist for the modern era, it expands on the mythology by showing us previous Iron Fists, Iron Fist gets a new look that works, new powers, and it's got great art and story.

The Immortal Iron Fist #8-13 (The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven)

Why: Again, this expands the mythology, this time introducing other mystical cities and Living Weapons, plus Aja's art is on point once again (though he pulls out before the end, unfortunately).

Obviously it's all subjective. Marvel Premiere #16-18 continues the arc started by IF's debut story, so you might want to include those (I didn't include them because it's a different creative team, but it does wrap up the revenge plot against Harrold Meachum); I also like Iron Fist #2 (Claremont and Byrne) because it shows more of what Danny's life was like in K'un-Lun, but it's a little story that probably doesn't belong in a top 5.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Okay, these are the stories I'd pick to give a good sampling of Iron Fist and his mythology:

Marvel Premiere #15
    Why: It's Iron Fist's debut story, and it has great art by Gil Kane and Dick Giodano.

Marvel Team-Up #63-64
    Why: It gives you background on Davos, arguably Danny's greatest enemy, and while it's not Claremont and Byrne at the top of their game, they are a quality creative team.

Power Man and Iron Fist #74-75 (Return to K'un-Lun)
    Why: It's the first time Iron Fist gets to return to K'un-Lun, it's Luke and Danny together, it tells you more about K'un-Lun; also Kerry Gammil is underrated as an artist.

The Immortal Iron Fist #1-6 (The Last Iron Fist Story)
    Why:It really redefines Iron Fist for the modern era, it expands on the mythology by showing us previous Iron Fists, Iron Fist gets a new look that works, new powers, and it's got great art and story.

The Immortal Iron Fist #8-13 (The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven)

Why: Again, this expands the mythology, this time introducing other mystical cities and Living Weapons, plus Aja's art is on point once again (though he pulls out before the end, unfortunately).

Obviously it's all subjective. Marvel Premiere #16-18 continues the arc started by IF's debut story, so you might want to include those (I didn't include them because it's a different creative team, but it does wrap up the revenge plot against Harrold Meachum); I also like Iron Fist #2 (Claremont and Byrne) because it shows more of what Danny's life was like in K'un-Lun, but it's a little story that probably doesn't belong in a top 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    http://www.cbr.com/the-greatest-iron...ies-ever-told/

That list is solid, although I can't verify the bottom of it. People suggested one or two books, but they have several stories in them.
    Thank you both

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Started watching this Friday night and finished last night. I have mixed feelings about this series. The first 5-6 episodes were really just "meh" for me. After that, it started to pick up and the last 4-5 episodes were great.

Positives:
    -Danny using his Iron Fist. Every time they showed it, my mind flashed back to all the cool moments in the comics when he used it.
    -Davos. I really didn't think he would be used this much in this season, but it was cool. And his friendship and then disappointment with Danny was played up well.
    -The flashback sequences with Danny and Davos, although short, were nice.
    -Danny and Colleen's romance. I know some people are going to hate that, but I liked it and it helped make the story more sense as a TV show.
    -The actors were pretty good for the most part, especially the guy that played Harold.
    -Having Madam Gao and the Hand in this series helped the DD/IF universe tie together.
    -They stayed fairly close to the comics but didn't let the comics define the series. In some parts this worked, in others, it didn't.
    -Nice little Easter egg with Stan Lee's face on that poster in the 10th episode.

The negatives:
    -Parts of the story made absolutely no sense.
    -Okay, let me get this straight. Claire, who knows about the Hand, and knows Matt Murdock, but doesn't tell Danny "Hey, there's another guy with unique abilities just like you who can help you fight the Hand, let me give him a call". Instead, she goes along with Danny and Colleen to fight the Hand?? Really???
    I get it, they wanted this show to be about Danny, but couldn't they at least have had Claire say "I just called my friend (Matt) and he's unable to help us right now, so we're on our own" or something like that?
    -Danny's character came off acting like a whiny little baby who has no common sense and is extremely naive. He literally had no plan of attack, and just bull rushed into every situation. Even the show acknowledged this several times by having Claire say it. It was ridiculous.
    -They wasted too much time focusing on Rand Corp. If I wanted to watch a show about a firm with attorneys, I'll watch Boston Legal. Not this.
    -The lack of flashback scenes. I understand they could only put so much into this season, but they wasted too much time on the legal aspect of Rand Corp when they could have done more flashbacks featuring Danny's time on K'un Lun.
    -I was disappointed in the fight scenes. I was expecting more exotic martial arts. I mean, Danny is the Iron Fist from K'un Lun, but Daredevil had better choreographed fight scenes.

There's more, but that pretty much covers it. Overall, it was entertaining, but the negatives really hampered this show. I would give the show 6/10. The last half of the season really saved the show. Both seasons of Daredevil were better than this. Hopefully, the writers look at this season and learn from their mistakes.
    Last edited by The Whovian; 03-19-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Not calling Daredevil and Cage can be explained away, since Matt's gf just got murdered by the Hand seems unlikely Claire would drag him back into Hand crap and Luke is obviously in prison.

There's no reason why she wouldn't call Jessica though, thats just a plot hole.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Does she have her cell phone number? Does Jessica even have the same number or was her bill late and she had to get a new number later?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Not calling Daredevil and Cage can be explained away, since Matt's gf just got murdered by the Hand seems unlikely Claire would drag him back into Hand crap and Luke is obviously in prison.
    All the more reason why Claire should have called Matt. To let him know what the Hand are up to and that they need help. Then Matt could say "I'm sorry Claire, I just can't help right now" or something like that. Just a brief phone call that takes up 20 seconds would have fine and handled the situation. It just makes it sloppy writing not to address that point.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I just finished the show myself, I thought it was good. Obviously there are things that could have been better but I still found it very much enjoyable. Highlights to me was Danny and Colleen's relationship, and surprisingly Ward.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-19-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    All the more reason why Claire should have called Matt. To let him know what the Hand are up to and that they need help. Then Matt could say "I'm sorry Claire, I just can't help right now" or something like that. Just a brief phone call that takes up 20 seconds would have fine and handled the situation. It just makes it sloppy writing not to address that point.
    I guess, but then a chunk of the budget goes to paying Charlie for a cameo or something XD

I agree it's lazy writing, hopefully the netflix shows are going to follow the MCU movies now and move into more team up type structures. For example I'd love a series of Daredevil based on Bendis/Brubaker because you have perfect reasons to bring in luke, jessica, punisher and danny if you follow the comics.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Iron Fist stunt team

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRyy1zRhbdO/

Wonder if that's what the costume could look like
    Last edited by Blind Wedjat; 03-20-2017 at 02:11 AM.

Finished the series over the weekend. Here are my thoughts:

spoilers:

The Good:

- Finn Jones, although sometimes whiny, is a very likeable Danny Rand
    - Jessica Henwick is a great female lead. Didn't know what to expect from her, but she was really good
    - I honestly don't know what the reviewers of the early episodes were talking about. The pacing isn't any slower than any of the other Netflix shows and I thought the first episode did a good job setting up a LOT of elements
    - There were a lot of twists, but the one involving Colleen was a huge surprise
    - Danny and Colleen's dynamic worked. I know shippers get heavily invested in seeing their favs, but I don't mind not seeing a Danny/Misty pairing. Thought this was developed well, which is not something I thought I'd be open to going into this
    - DAVOS! Another huge surprise. You see the contrast between him and Danny from the start, with Davos having a much darker and mission oriented. Probably the development I'm most looking forward to in season 2. Him and Danny's dual fights both in the hallway and at the compound were the highlights of the series for me
    - THE FIGHTING! It was amazing. The complaints of reviewers bore no weight. Clearly they didn't understand what kung-fu is and expected something closer to the brawler choreography of Daredevil. Iron Fist's choreography was very concise and clean. Everyone did a good to amazing job in this regard. Beautifully orchestrated and choreographed, though it had some editing issues.
    - Danny's elevator fight scene, Colleen's first cage match, Danny vs. the weapons expert, Danny vs. Zhou Cheng, Colleen vs. The Hand samurai, Colleen vs. Bokuto, Danny and Davos vs. The Hand both times. These were all extremely well done by the actors and stunt team
    - The development of the Hand had a very HYDRA vibe to it, in a good way. I thought the compound had a very stepford wives vibe to it from the start. The fact it has Hand in positions of power all around the city, from people like Harold, to doctors, to police, to politicians, is a very cool development that really hits home a "can't trust anyone" type vibe, setting it up perfectly for the Defenders
    - The Meachum business was actually really engaging, despite not what I was personally watching the series for. I really liked Ward's development arc. I think both Danny and Ward developed a mutual respect for each other that was well developed throughout the series. Harold was particularly a standout, acting wise, throughout the show
    - Madame Gao terrifies me

The not-so good:
    - Danny's fist I thought was watered down for the sake of story. I know they couldn't have him always using it, but it lacked that huge "holy ****, that's why they call him iron Fist" moment
    - Needed more mysticism. It was my biggest worry going into this. It seemed for the most part like a budget issue, especially with the lack of actually being able to see Shao-Lao. I definitely wanted more flashbacks to K'un L'un, especially the actual city of K'un L'un, and the training of Iron Fists. Really wanted to see Danny and Davos actually sparring when they were young. I wanted more of Lei Kung's wisdom (could listen to that guy's voice all day)
    - Episode 6's gauntlet could've and should've been so much more. The fight with Bride of 9 Spiders wasn't good at all. Lacked actual kung-fu and was just underwhelming considering we finally got to see an Immortal Weapon
    - Needed more interesting Iron Fist characters and cameos. This series felt really self contained compared to the others and needed more than name drops. Claire had clear access to any of the other Defenders at her disposal and for whatever reason, this was left out. Didn't make sense. Would've been nice to have seen Karen Page, Foggy Nelson or Misty Knight, but it was great seeing Hogarth again. Just needed more of that. It also needed more things like the Immortal Weapons, Bride of 9 Spiders wasn't done enough justice imo. They briefly teased another Iron Fist (which was amazing, and the costume was awesome) but it wasn't enough. Would've liked to have had Orson Randall mentioned, or even previous Iron Fists, just to flesh out some of the lacking mystical aspects of the show
    - No Iron Fist costume was a huge bummer
    - A few of the fighting scenes were poorly edited, particularly Colleen's second cage fight, which we saw a preview of way back. Sloppy
    - Some really cliché lines peppered throughout the series could've been left out imo

Overall, a pretty enjoyable series. I'd give it a 7.5/10. Not as good as Daredevil s1 (which set a stupid high standard), but as good as s2. Sits about the same as Luke Cage for me. Good stuff.

end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Iron Fist stunt team

WOW! That is amazing looking. Wish we got more of this. Wonder if this is Orson Randall... They did say the year was around 1944 or something, no?
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 03-20-2017 at 06:57 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Iron Fist stunt team

I doubt the costume would be that dark, the costumes looks like they were made to show variations of grey since they knew that portion would be black & white.

But still, it's normal clothes plus the mask. That's essentially what we want, eventually being slightly more armour-like ala Daredevil.
    Last edited by Iron Fist; 03-20-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Ultimate Member

Throw in Claire and Hogarth and I'm in.
    Or Claire and Trish 'Patsy' Walker, from Jessica Jones, leaving Hogarth in a support role (even we know that Carrie-Ann Moss can throw down some fight scenes, I'm pretty sure the lawyer isn't supposed to be Trinity!). With or without super-pills, she's a decent hand to hand fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Or Claire and Trish 'Patsy' Walker, from Jessica Jones, leaving Hogarth in a support role (even we know that Carrie-Ann Moss can throw down some fight scenes, I'm pretty sure the lawyer isn't supposed to be Trinity!). With or without super-pills, she's a decent hand to hand fighter.
    Eh, I'm cool with Hogarth just being a passive character who doesn't fight. She's cool enough to pull it off.

Patsy is redundant until she gets herself some powers, Claire and Colleen already got the powerless female fighters thing on lock.

Iron Fist s1 and then Defenders s1? Not so bad.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Iron Fist s1 and then Defenders s1? Not so bad.
    I am hoping Marvel saw the reception to season 1 and are laying down some mandates about what season 2 of iron fist should entail ie

- less corporate scenes
    - more holgarth
    - more mysticism
    - hire a new stunt and fight choreography team
    - add the god damn costume
    - skip ahead off screen to him being a far more effective iron fist
    - create an effective and charismatic villain