Page 128 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2663
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think one person in the letter section said that some of the fighters were cliche of martial arts films. does anyone think they are?
    Well, the letter writer said that the first issue featured some kung fu cliches. He wasn't slamming the book for it, just noting it. But I think it was editor Jake Thomas who responded that it's more that these are tropes of the genre - elements like a secret tournament held on a mysterious island - rather than simply "cliches". One of the things I love most about this book is that it is obviously steeped in the lore of kung fu cinema and is out to tell a story that honors and celebrates the traditions of the genre.

Agreed. I certainly don't mind seeing familiar tropes used because it establishes the legitimacy of the Iron Fist mythos within the Marvel Universe. I like knowing that Iron Fist is essentially the go-to place for Kung Fu comics!

-Pav, who can't wait for the next issue...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah. I might have said this before, but it's quite a good thing with this book, that you get the things you expect to get when you pick it up.

But now we have the plot twist, thankfully. It's cool how Brisson makes the bad guys feel like underdogs. There's mostly a lot of honor and a clear hardship in pooling their resources to beat the usurper and bring profit to their people.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Well, the letter writer said that the first issue featured some kung fu cliches. He wasn't slamming the book for it, just noting it. But I think it was editor Jake Thomas who responded that it's more that these are tropes of the genre - elements like a secret tournament held on a mysterious island - rather than simply "cliches". One of the things I love most about this book is that it is obviously steeped in the lore of kung fu cinema and is out to tell a story that honors and celebrates the traditions of the genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Agreed. I certainly don't mind seeing familiar tropes used because it establishes the legitimacy of the Iron Fist mythos within the Marvel Universe. I like knowing that Iron Fist is essentially the go-to place for Kung Fu comics!

-Pav, who can't wait for the next issue...
    Agreed. Though mysterious islands and unusual fighters are well-worn staples of the martial arts genre, I nonetheless still enjoy them. Though I've seen my fair share of martial arts films and fights, I don't mind seeing them again, especially since we haven't seen Danny Rand engage in some purely martial arts tropes for a while.

Additionally, the series does delve into Iron Fist lore. We see Danny using the iron fist to fight as well as to heal. There have been references to the Seven Cities arc as well as the Andrews' storyline. Brisson is tapping into some really great Iron Fist material here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah. I might have said this before, but it's quite a good thing with this book, that you get the things you expect to get when you pick it up.

But now we have the plot twist, thankfully. It's cool how Brisson makes the bad guys feel like underdogs. There's mostly a lot of honor and a clear hardship in pooling their resources to beat the usurper and bring profit to their people.
    Nice. I didn't realize that the villains were in such a position. I could see them conniving and scheming but not backed in a corner.

For me, I appreciate Danny just reaffirming himself as being the Iron Fist. A warrior giving up his mantle is noble theme. Some people might say fighting to keep a position is a sign of greed or selfishness. Thus, Danny's fighting turns that notion on its head. Maybe it is worthwhile to fight for one's title.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Never remotely been into IF but something made me pick up this book and I'm loving it so far. To bad the ball was dropped so bad with the show it really could've been dope if went in a similar direction of this comic.

Just wanted to post this quick article from CBR on Danny Rand's characterization in the upcoming Netflix series. Simply put, there is an attempt to have Danny become more mature in the series:

http://www.cbr.com/the-defenders-will-change-iron-fist/

I didn't have a problem with Danny's characterization, as I think it fit the comics. However, becoming more mature would be a way for Danny to become more appealing. A mature Danny Rand in "The Defenders" is necessary since I think (based on just a conjecture) that this series will determine whether or not there will be a season 2 of Iron Fist. Still, from the preview, I'm digging Danny's depiction. This, along with an improvement in the martial arts, incorporation of K'un Lun mysticism, and perhaps an address of the white savior qualities (though I think Daniel Wu had the final say on this) could make Iron Fist season 2 better than season 1.

Here's hoping .
    "I am a man of peace."

I was rereading Peter David's run on X-factor and I thought he'd be a good pick for a future run on Iron Fist. I like his character work and he seems to have a good grasp on the supernatural which Iron Fist could use.

So, anyone know if this is still happening?:

I remember Andrews saying that this would come out Summer 2017. Haven't seen any other previews to back that up though. I checked Andrews' and Chan's Twitter feeds and while they tout Iron Fist, they don't tout this series. So what gives?

Marvel, if this series is dead in the water, just tell us Iron Fist fans so!

In any case, speaking of Afu's work, I must say, I am very impressed:
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    So, anyone know if this is still happening?:

I remember Andrews saying that this would come out Summer 2017. Haven't seen any other previews to back that up though. I checked Andrews' and Chan's Twitter feeds and while they tout Iron Fist, they don't tout this series. So what gives?

Marvel, if this series is dead in the water, just tell us Iron Fist fans so!
    Comixology doesn't have any other iron fists books listed for coming soon and Andrews only IF work is IF:TLW. My google tries only has the bleeding cool link that asks the same question but gives no answer.

This might be stealth canceled.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I doubt it's been cancelled, probably just pushed back until the current Iron Fist series is over. With the lukewarm response to the Netflix show I wouldn't be surprised to find they've decided the franchise can't support two books simultaneously, which seems a pretty sensible approach as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Just wanted to post this quick article from CBR on Danny Rand's characterization in the upcoming Netflix series. Simply put, there is an attempt to have Danny become more mature in the series:

http://www.cbr.com/the-defenders-will-change-iron-fist/

I didn't have a problem with Danny's characterization, as I think it fit the comics. However, becoming more mature would be a way for Danny to become more appealing. A mature Danny Rand in "The Defenders" is necessary since I think (based on just a conjecture) that this series will determine whether or not there will be a season 2 of Iron Fist. Still, from the preview, I'm digging Danny's depiction. This, along with an improvement in the martial arts, incorporation of K'un Lun mysticism, and perhaps an address of the white savior qualities (though I think Daniel Wu had the final say on this) could make Iron Fist season 2 better than season 1.

Here's hoping .
    I'm hoping Danny has some interesting dynamics with Stick since they were hinting at a connection between the Chaste and K'un L'un back in Daredevil season 1. I'm curious about his dynamic with Matt because it's not as well known as his with Jess or Luke.

I think people thought he lack a strong goal and he was written inconsistently more than him being immature so hopefully Defenders clears that up.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm hoping Danny has some interesting dynamics with Stick since they were hinting at a connection between the Chaste and K'un L'un back in Daredevil season 1. I'm curious about his dynamic with Matt because it's not as well known as his with Jess or Luke.

I think people thought he lack a strong goal and he was written inconsistently more than him being immature so hopefully Defenders clears that up.
    i read a report that said Danny's character will be more mature in the Defender's series which is a very good thing. Now all they need to do is give him a mask so that a stuntman can perform his action scenes.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    i read a report that said Danny's character will be more mature in the Defender's series which is a very good thing. Now all they need to do is give him a mask so that a stuntman can perform his action scenes.
    I think Finn said that it might happen in season 2 (if it happens) so it looks like it won't happen in Defenders

BANNED

Yeah I don't get it...they know he is not the best at fighting and yet they still wont slap a mask on his face.

Fantastic Member

Not having a stunt fighter will be less impactfull in defenders where the action is divided 4 ways mean less time spent on Finn and potential mistakes