Page 178 of 178 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178
Results 2,656 to 2,663 of 2663
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Bit of an anticlimactic ending to Phantom Limb today, wouldn't you say?

-Pav, who was a little disappointed...
    Yeah. The author's note at the end makes it clear why - it's Evil Dead, not Iron Fist. And the demonic stuff wasn't handled super well in terms of explaining - just a lot of hand waving (haha, unintentional pun).

It's a shame Marvel decided that the way to try to market Iron Fist is...tell a story that doesn't fit Iron Fist at all.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Hey all. Thought I'd add my two cents to this. As it's Christmas break, I've finally had enough time to read all parts of Phantom Limb. Now, I said before that the art really took me out of the story. For a long time, I really couldn't bring myself to read this miniseries because, quite frankly, I thought it looked ugly. However, taking the time to read it now........................damn, I enjoyed this. There were a lot of good things going on in this story. Danny's guilt over the loss of a child. A demon king who wishes to take over the world. A journey into hell and dark chi. Plus, meta commentary on Danny's privilege (don't worry folks, we come to the same conclusion as before, Danny EARNED the title of Iron Fist) and subtle call backs to Iron Fist lore (using one's chi to construct a chi formed hand, you know where we've seen that before) all of those elements really stood out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yeah. The author's note at the end makes it clear why - it's Evil Dead, not Iron Fist. And the demonic stuff wasn't handled super well in terms of explaining - just a lot of hand waving (haha, unintentional pun).

It's a shame Marvel decided that the way to try to market Iron Fist is...tell a story that doesn't fit Iron Fist at all.
    As for the claim that this doesn't feel like an Iron Fist story, I beg to differ. Iron Fist has always been rooted in the mystical aspects of East Asia, most notably China. I can most definitely tell you that Mo Wang, Yaoguai, Yama, different realms of Hell, demons, dark chi, (and even palmreading if you want to get down to it) are very much a part of Chinese culture, just as much as K'un L'un is. No, it didn't focus around martial arts and instead focused on the mystical, horror elements. But the horror, mystical elements do fit an Iron Fist story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Bit of an anticlimactic ending to Phantom Limb today, wouldn't you say?

-Pav, who was a little disappointed...
    I was expecting the worst when I read this Pav. As I was inching towards the end, I expected Danny to die or permanently lose his hand or something. What I did see during the ending............wow, I thought that was brilliant. It's a natural outgrowth of the events in the story and sets up some interesting stories for the future.

So yes, Phantom Limb may not go down as the best Iron Fist story ever. The art is certainly an acquired taste. However, there were a lot of interesting elements at work here. After reading this, holy crap, I'm actually inspired to reread a ton of my old Iron Fist comics.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Alright, sorry for not making these updates before, but just thought I'd share this new tidbit from the Marvel solicitations:

AVENGERS #13
    JASON AARON (W) • Andrea Sorrentino (A)
    COVER BY Steve Epting
    CONAN VERSUS MARVEL VILLAINS VARIANT COVER BY MIKE MCKONE
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VARIANT COVER BY PATRICK ZIRCHER
    FEATURING THE IRON FIST OF 1,000,000 BC!
    ANDREA SORRENTINO JOINS SERIES WRITER JASON AARON another flashback tale of the Prehistoric Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. Meet the primordial woman who was the first to harness the power of the heart of the dragon Shou-Lao, becoming the very first Iron Fist.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    So here we go folks. Avengers #13 in January will tell the story of the very first Iron Fist. Truth be told, I'm quite excited. As we've stated before, the fact that the very first Iron Fist is a woman really (and wondefully) subverts the partiarchy that was endemic in K'un Lun. Again, how did she get her powers? Why does Odin distrust her and K'un Lun? Wait a minute, K'un Lun existed a million years ago? Definitely excited to see where this ends up.
    "I am a man of peace."

Though I'd share this splash page from Avengers #700. As we can see in the corner, Danny seems to be fending off against a bunch of Hand ninjas. It seems to borrow from the Iron Fist and Hand storyline that was established in the Netflix series. I definitely look forward to that.

Now, will Samurai Punisher be a part of this? Time will tell. Keeping the iron fists crossed!
    "I am a man of peace."

Mighty Member

Will this thread continue or will it get rebooted?

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Will this thread continue or will it get rebooted?
    Well, I'm sure NOW it will be closed.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Interesting. Still hasn't been closed yet.

In any case, keep the iron fists crossed.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Interesting. Still hasn't been closed yet.

In any case, keep the iron fists crossed.
    Too bad there's not much to talk about it.