Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Man of Action On "Big Hero 6" & Comics/Hollywood Relationship: "Credit Is Proper"

Steven Seagle and Joe Casey speak candidly with CBR News on the importance of convincing Hollywood to properly credit the creators of its biggest hits.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member

Very insightful interview.

And I must say that I felt the comic press in general did a pretty crummy job covering this film throughout its development and release cycle. I mean I get it's not the Avengers by Joss Whedon, but that Disney decided to adapt it in the first place is pretty damned noticeable. That they managed to win an Oscar (regardless of the politics involved) is a big enough deal that yeah, maybe someone should have thought about talking to the guys who created the property and how they felt about all of this.

Also, kudos to Quesada for going to bat for the MOA crew and getting them in the animation studio to see what Disney was doing with the characters.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

It's hilarious to hear the "creators" of the film wax rhapsodic about their "creations" on the making of featurette on the Blu Ray, when all they did was overly-sanitize the far-superior creations of Seagle/Rouleau/Claremont/Nakayama.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    It's hilarious to hear the "creators" of the film wax rhapsodic about their "creations" on the making of featurette on the Blu Ray, when all they did was overly-sanitize the far-superior creations of Seagle/Rouleau/Claremont/Nakayama.
    They didn't wax rhapsodic about their "creations". The director and producer talked candidly about Big hero six the comic, and Jeph Loeb and Joe Quesada covered the Marvel aspect of it too. I did appreciate that they let Loeb talk about the role of Loss in the film considering his late son. Remember most importantly this is an adaptation of a story. If MOA was to become too involved in the story we wouldn't have what we have now. Animation is a very different process then comic creation. As Loeb said, Comics = one script and then you published it. Animation = several layers of story changed over the course of the film. Also bear in mind that if you have too many cooks in the kitchen it spoils the pot. We've seen it done before. See what happened with the Black Cauldron.

The thing too is if Loeb and Quesada were involved the way they claimed to have been in the feature then why didn't they bring it up to Disney early on, or for that matter why didn't MOA keep in contact with Don Hall? Seriously, if he came over to their booth to talk to them, then you get his number, email, whatever you can, and contact him as much as possible to find out what's going on in the film as well as ask to see what's being laid out. Disney has worked with Comic creators before, see Atlantis for Mike Mignola of Hellboy fame.

As for crediting, Yes, they should be credited for their work since it's what it's based on. But based on doesn't mean it is a direct translation of it. Regarding the comic press, and sadly it comes from the way a lot of readers view Disney, DreamWorks, Latkia and other animation firms, "These are movies for kids. they're not as important as the PG-13 live action movies that come out." So because the readers in this case tend to be "We don't like Kids stuff" in some cases then the press won't talk to them about it. It's dumb, and has always existed for most animated features. I agree they should have been named straight up, if not by Hall then by Loeb and Quesada.
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 03-12-2015 at 04:46 PM.

If Big Hero 6 was really important to Marvel, they would have been at the forefront of promoting it. From what I'm seeing, Marvel didn't want anything to do with BH6 anymore and gave everything about it to Disney.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    If Big Hero 6 was really important to Marvel, they would have been at the forefront of promoting it. From what I'm seeing, Marvel didn't want anything to do with BH6 anymore and gave everything about it to Disney.
    Pretty much, I get the feeling that the President of Marvel has his pet projects and anything else seems to fall by the way side when it comes to the media aspect of it.

Spectacular Member

The biggest crime is that we're now (permanently?) deprived of Man of Action's original version of Big Hero 6 due to the hush-hush, behind-the-scenes moratorium that the powers that be placed on the characters. A team of Japanese heroes. Two strong female leads with truly unique personalities & kick-ass back stories. A team of Marvel superheroes that ISN'T based out of Manhattan. It was a refreshing concept, even if they were only pulled out of the Marvel toy box every 5 years or so.

How great would it have been to see Man of Action do a Big Hero 6 story now starring their version of the team? Guess what? Ain't gonna happen because of Disney.

Big score for diversity in comics, Disney!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kpop View Post
    The biggest crime is that we're now (permanently?) deprived of Man of Action's original version of Big Hero 6 due to the hush-hush, behind-the-scenes moratorium that the powers that be placed on the characters. A team of Japanese heroes. Two strong female leads with truly unique personalities & kick-ass back stories. A team of Marvel superheroes that ISN'T based out of Manhattan. It was a refreshing concept, even if they were only pulled out of the Marvel toy box every 5 years or so.

How great would it have been to see Man of Action do a Big Hero 6 story now starring their version of the team? Guess what? Ain't gonna happen because of Disney.

Big score for diversity in comics, Disney!!
    Do we even know if Disney put in the moratorium in the first place?

I honestly think if people want answers to this, ask at comic conventions during panels or at D23.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    They didn't wax rhapsodic about their "creations". The director and producer talked candidly about Big hero six the comic, and Jeph Loeb and Joe Quesada covered the Marvel aspect of it too.
    Don Hall said a little blurb about Big Hero 6 the comic . . . and got it totally wrong. He claimed that Hiro's father Tomeo created Baymax. Nope.

In the comics, Hiro created Baymax after his father died and programmed him with his father's memories and personality . . . like Astro Boy but in reverse. It forms the core of their relationship. That's a pretty basic thing to get wrong when reminiscing about the comic.

[QUOTE=Kpop;1013914]
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    They didn't wax rhapsodic about their "creations". The director and producer talked candidly about Big hero six the comic, and Jeph Loeb and Joe Quesada covered the Marvel aspect of it too.[\quote]

Don Hall said a little blurb about Big Hero 6 the comic . . . and got it totally wrong. He claimed that Hiro's father Tomeo created Baymax. Nope.

In the comics, Hiro created Baymax after his father died and programmed him with his father's memories and personality . . . like Astro Boy but in reverse. It forms the core of their relationship. That's a pretty basic thing to get wrong when reminiscing about the comic.
    Yes Don Hall got that fact wrong, but how many times have actors and writers gotten things wrong in there interviews. So shouldn't then MOA credit their idea to Osamu Tezuka since they basically reversed his creation there?

I wish I had five bucks every time the words "Big Hero 6" was said during this interview.

Nice shoutout to Dwayne McDuffie by Seagle.

We didn't have enough of a track record in animation for Cartoon Network to trust us initially, so it was handed off to others -- including the amazing Dwayne McDuffie

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Other way around. Disney told Marvel not to do anything with BH6.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Other way around. Disney told Marvel not to do anything with BH6.
    If thatsthe case they didnt want Marvel editors to screw with the story or change the characters. Now where is Sunfire? I hope Big heroe 6 introducesthis mutant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rdman View Post
    If thatsthe case they didnt want Marvel editors to screw with the story or change the characters. Now where is Sunfire? I hope Big heroe 6 introducesthis mutant.
    Owned by Fox like the rest of the X-men.