Default Death of the Family question

Okay so I am new to DC comics and since I did love Batman as a kid I decided this would be the first new comic for me and I decided to start from #1 of the New 52. I am now on issue 13 where Death of the Family starts. I looked up the reading order and found the arc is like 25 issues. So my question is do I need to read each of these other books to get the story or if I just read the chapters in Batman will I know what's going on?

You can just read the Batman issues. The other stuff is side stories with the Batman Family.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Incredible Member

The book you have is a collection of the Bat family's dealings with the Joker from Scott Snyder's arc. You can definitely get the whole story just from reading Batman,If youre a Joker fan or a fan of the other family members then read that.

If you're going to read tie-ins, I suggest Batman and Robin.
    Formerly Doctor Malekith.

Batman #13-#17 is the complete story - 5 issues.

The other 20 are tie-ins in Detective Comics, Suicide Squad, Catwoman, Batgirl, Nightwing, Batman and Robin, Teen Titans, and Red Hood and the Outlaws. As a whole I thoroughly enjoyed them. I thought they added quite a lot to the story seeing as it's about the Bat-family as much as it's about Joker, but they all deal with personal issues. Suicide Squad was probably my favourite tie-in, the Teen Titans and Red Hood crossover tie-ins were half good, half bad (Tim and Jason parts were pretty cool, their ancillary team members teaming up was...not that great), Catwoman was the only awful tie-in if only for the fact that it was pointless, Nightwing was entirely forgettable, but not that bad, Detective Comics is the only one I have trouble fitting into the timeline, but again fairly enjoyable, and Batgirl and Batman and Robin were pretty good.