Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    Wonder Woman's actually looks like a costume, at least. Can't imagine too many people are pining away for the days of Smallville where superheroes weren't allowed to look the part. And why on Earth would Superman need to wrap cloth around his knuckles?! Just dumb.
    They weren't superheroes yet (they worked in the shadows, not publicly), so they didn't have their iconic costumes yet. It was an origin story. In the New 52, Superman started his career wearing a T-shirt and jeans at the age of about 22; the arc ended with him getting his armor. Clark on Smallville started wearing proto-costumes around the age 21, and they evolved until he put on his iconic costume at age 24. That makes his costume wearing start at about the same age as New 52 Superman and earlier than Christopher Reeve's and Henry Cavill's versions of the character. They all donned the costume when they debuted publicly but, like Clark on Man of Steel, Clark on Smallville acted heroically by helping strangers before he wore his suit. In short, Smallville's Clark looked the part when he acted the part (i.e. when he was a public superhero).

I think they both kind of suck.

Fabok put together a near-perfect Wonder Woman costume over in Justice League, I have no idea why they aren't using that as her official look across the line. This new costume has too many design elements that don't mix, and like the much maligned JMS-era costume, this look already looks dated on arrival.

Superman's is a complete bore. I liked when they brought him back in the jeans, t-shirt and boots at the start of the New 52 in Morrison's run, but they really didn't go all the way with that, then backpedaled and completely moved away from that, so to go back now feels like too little too late. The haircut is awful and doesn't feel like Clark Kent at all.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

All-New Member

Is Diana going somewhere cold? It looks like she is wearing long underwear under her costume.

SMH. It's not that Superman's costume is terrible, but with revamp after revamp, it really leads me to believe that DC Comics thinks the state of the industry is like having insulin-dependent, Type I diabetes mellitus, and the only way to maintain a good blood glucose (in this case, sales), is by giving periodic insulin shots (radical changes). Sales start to dip? Big changes ahead!

I support a reboot every 20 or so years, including pertinent costume alterations. I'm going to be forgiving about the Superman "costume" change in the regard that it's similar to the Rags Morales costume, which was good, and the tiny cape always looked silly to me, but Morales' design worked well for me because it was clearly a "phase" in his career, i.e. we all knew it was an early costume and not the one he'd adopt forever and ever. Say what you will about the Lee design, but at least it tried to catch elements of the classic Superman costume. This is even further regressive.

On top of that, we just spent a lot of time blabbing about the JRJR costume "change," and a month later already we're talking another massive overhaul.

As for the WW costume, I don't like it at all except it swapped the silver back to classic gold. While I also respect that people have differing opinions, I've never been concerned about fans who had the attitude along the lines of, "I could've gotten into Wonder Woman, but I can't because she wears a bathing suit." If people like the pants, fine, they like the pants, but if DC is more concerned about winning over people who want pants than people who were fine with the costume and supported the books as they were, then once again corporate practice shows that companies care less about you when you support them than when they haven't gotten your money yet (seriously, that's the reason why promotional rates that expire after 6 or 12 or however many months are only good for new customers, and once you've bought the service they make you pay more).

Yeah, it just makes them look so indecisive. The reboot changed costumes in 2011, they didn't need to overhaul things again for everyone. I fear that in their zeal of doing all these fun things with the new titles (which do look cool), they turned to the returning titles and decided to make all these unneeded alterations with that alone being the main motivation. I'm over being near anger over the changes to Superman for example, but still not seeing the point, and still just finding myself rather disappointed in what they're doing across the board. It gives the impression they're rebooting again. Technically they're not, but with so many changes after a big event, that's what they'll be accused of again and its hard to fault fans with feeling that way this time.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-12-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, it just makes them look so indecisive. The reboot changed costumes in 2011, they didn't need to overhaul things again for everyone. I fear that in their zeal of doing all these fun things with the new titles (which do look cool), they turned to the returning titles and decided to make all these unneeded alterations with that alone being the main motivation. I'm over being near anger over the changes to Superman for example, but still not seeing the point, and still just finding myself rather disappointed in what they're doing across the board. It gives the impression they're rebooting again. Technically they're not, but with so many changes after a big event, that's what they'll be accused of again and its hard to fault fans with feeling that way this time.
    I think they are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what actually sticks. Its kind of like what DC did in the 70's with the DC explosion followed by the DC implosion.

Well here's hoping Bat Bug and Johnny Unitas Superman peel off quick.

Amazing Member

She looks like Captain Marvel now. Will her new name be Karen Danvers? lol

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Hahaha, there were so many posts for years about making him dress like a regular guy wearing an S t-shirt. I hope those people can all go feel silly in a corner without me having to call them out

I like Wonder Woman's new costume, it makes her look the part of "God of War"
    However, I liked Superman's new look when it was Superboy's look. Why give this look to Superman, when It was Superboy who made this look iconic?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwch View Post
    She looks like Captain Marvel now. Will her new name be Karen Danvers? lol
    I don't see the similarities between Diana and Carol's costumes.
    We need better comics

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Dislike both, might be one of those rare occasions where the movies forcing the comics to align will be ideal since we know that they won't be wearing such dreck. These will be temporary I am certain, same with Batman.

DC needs to stop trying to make jeans & T-shirt Superman a thing.

I'm not a huge Wonder Woman fan so I don't care as much when they change her look(and she's been changed more often than most superheroes). But I'm annoyed that they're changing Superman again so shortly after hyping a new suit. It wasn't great when JRJR drew it, but there was another illustration I liked. The new belt with the yellow buckle and the classic boots really help. Now it may be gone, depending on whether the capeless-tshirt-jeans look is long-term or not. I'm also worried that the return to casual wear is signifying yet another depowering. I know a lot of people appreciate things that are minimal, but I like Superman big and epic. Epic suit, not folksy and blue-collar, epic feats, not down-in-the-streets brawling and busting through brick walls, lifting cars, and swinging around a steel beam but like catching the whole freakin' city as it falls out of the sky. The small-time basic feats of the golden age Superman just don't have the same wow-factor as they did back in 1938.
    Last edited by Last Son; 03-13-2015 at 12:32 AM.

Astonishing Member

Jim Lee designed a perfectly good version of the nu52 Wonder Woman with pants. That's the version they should go with. This one is inferior -- the boots look ridiculous.

Superman looks like pre nu52 Superboy. I'm sorry, but trying to make Superman kewl is just stupid. That's not his role.
    Last edited by kcekada; 03-13-2015 at 04:45 AM.