Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: All-New Captain America, #5

• The countdown to great leveling begins.
    • Planet Hydra Is all but assured.
    • Captain America is our last hope.

Full article here.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Lol, remender making racial commentary

The birds eat all the bugs with contaminated virus. That's the only play I see left.

The racial innuendo doesn't look like it is on the surface, but deep down how many bigots still exist? Whether mutant or racial bigots, they are all the same. They are afraid of what they don't understand. There shouldn't be any political correctness issue associated with Sam Wilson as Cap, but that doesn't stop accusations of that targetted that way. It's not shirking the subject so I'm okay that it's addressed. I have my own issues about going overboard on political correctness where I am, but I may be one of those dinosaurs who also can't let go of my personal bigotry as well. Maybe those fights aren't over yet. I saw Obama marching just the other day, over something racial that still, to this day, hasn't been fully addressed.
    Last edited by jackolover; 03-13-2015 at 02:34 AM.

I was wondering when the issue of political correctness was going to be brought up in this series. Remender seems to make a point that whatever reservations one would have about Sam Wilson being Captain America, be it the issue of political correctness or capability, he is more than earning the mantle this arc, which I am happy to say has been very well done so far.

Spectacular Member

So they had to figure out a way that Sams power to talk to birds could save the day. I was wondering when something like this would happen. They have to make him better than Steve, it's their agenda. Take away everything from Steve so their new choice will look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Reed View Post
    So they had to figure out a way that Sams power to talk to birds could save the day. I was wondering when something like this would happen. They have to make him better than Steve, it's their agenda. Take away everything from Steve so their new choice will look better.
    I wouldn't go that far, and to be honestly I'm not sure it's even possible to make Sam look like a BETTER choice than Steve.

But certainly they're creating a situation where Sam can do something that Steve couldn't, and that's really probably something that's needed. Steve can do things that Sam can't, and we're seeing that Sam can do a few things that Steve can't. He's not necessarily better... but different. And that's not a bad thing.

Spectacular Member

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. And I like Sam, I really do. I just hate what they did to Steve to make room for Sam. Not only did they make Steve an old man, but in Hickmans Avengers books Steve is a bitter old man filled with hate, and that is not the Steve Rogers I grew up with.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. And I like Sam, I really do. I just hate what they did to Steve to make room for Sam. Not only did they make Steve an old man, but in Hickmans Avengers books Steve is a bitter old man filled with hate, and that is not the Steve Rogers I grew up with.
    Yeah, I didn't like Hickman's potrayal of Steve all that much either after the time jump. Though in the least I do think Steve got over it pretty quick.

As far as what they did to him in order to make room for Sam... I think it's similar to Bucky becoming Winter Soldier. It won't last. Steve is Captain America. Give it a year or two, and he'll be back wielding the shield.

I'm not sure what Hickman was thinking with Steve either. He was written really well up until turning old. He seems really out of character now if you ask me, and I'm a big fan of Hickman and his Avengers runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    I'm not sure what Hickman was thinking with Steve either. He was written really well up until turning old. He seems really out of character now if you ask me, and I'm a big fan of Hickman and his Avengers runs.
    I wouldn't say Steve is being written out of character right now. I think in the time jump he was written with his priorities out of whack, but after speaking to the Illuminati for literally just 5 seconds, I think we essentially got a well enough written Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I wouldn't say Steve is being written out of character right now. I think in the time jump he was written with his priorities out of whack, but after speaking to the Illuminati for literally just 5 seconds, I think we essentially got a well enough written Steve.
    I found that odd too. He flip flopped fairly quickly. Too quickly. I feel that's where he should've been to begin with imo. And not suspecting Sue was a double agent? Despite being married to one of the members he was pursuing? Really? C'mon...

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    I found that odd too. He flip flopped fairly quickly. Too quickly. I feel that's where he should've been to begin with imo. And not suspecting Sue was a double agent? Despite being married to one of the members he was pursuing? Really? C'mon...
    Yeah, it was a bit of a jolt seeing Steve flip flop so quickly. On one hand I did actually like that he was written so reasonably... but it sort of makes you wonder why he wasn't written that way all along.

I think they just wanted to create a degree of balance to the story, as far as making all sides "wrong" to some degree. And since Steve wasn't going around plotting to blow up planets, he needed something to ensure he didn't stand entirely on the high ground the entire time.

But the most jarring aspect is still seeing the Avengers and old Man Steve act so friendly in all of Remenders books. I think marvel needed to do a better job getting Remender and HIckman on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, it was a bit of a jolt seeing Steve flip flop so quickly. On one hand I did actually like that he was written so reasonably... but it sort of makes you wonder why he wasn't written that way all along.

I think they just wanted to create a degree of balance to the story, as far as making all sides "wrong" to some degree. And since Steve wasn't going around plotting to blow up planets, he needed something to ensure he didn't stand entirely on the high ground the entire time.

But the most jarring aspect is still seeing the Avengers and old Man Steve act so friendly in all of Remenders books. I think marvel needed to do a better job getting Remender and HIckman on the same page.
    Good point about creating a moral balance. I suppose that does make good sense.

And I would agree with having them be more on the same page, all writers in fact.

Well, at least the addressing of the complaints of "POC replacing my heroes" and the like seems to be just relegated to that page instead of practically a full-issue like Thor did. That definitely wasn't the best issue of the latter's book in my opinion. I'm not sure whether it needed addressing at all, but the topic of Sam earning and proving himself in the mantle does seem to be one of the major conflicts of this arc so I guess it works in that regard.

Sam using his ability to talk to birds to save the day would be very awesome .

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, at least the addressing of the complaints of "POC replacing my heroes" and the like seems to be just relegated to that page instead of practically a full-issue like Thor did. That definitely wasn't the best issue of the latter's book in my opinion. I'm not sure whether it needed addressing at all, but the topic of Sam earning and proving himself in the mantle does seem to be one of the major conflicts of this arc so I guess it works in that regard.

Sam using his ability to talk to birds to save the day would be very awesome .
    But what will happen to the birds? Will they now be infected, and if so, will they all have to die?