Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Hi all.

I really really like his X-Facor run (the modern version).

I would like to read some of his Hulk as it always comes highly recommended. However his run is huge and I would like to narrow it down a bit, na d I would like to know of the 2-3 best smaller stories/runs... like 2-10 issues that forms a story and that you consider his best.

What are your favorite runs//story arcs within his run on The Incredible Hulk?
    (would be good if they are somewhat self-contained - and still available in the market, if not I will hunt down the floppies)

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik K. Kristensen View Post

I would like to read some of his Hulk as it always comes highly recommended. However his run is huge and I would like to narrow it down a bit, na d I would like to know of the 2-3 best smaller stories/runs... like 2-10 issues that forms a story and that you consider his best.

What are your favorite runs//story arcs within his run on The Incredible Hulk?
    (would be good if they are somewhat self-contained - and still available in the market, if not I will hunt down the floppies)
    For myself, I think the best of PAD's run were issues #331-#425.
    #331-346 spends time building up the Gray Hulk into his own distinct character (since he'd been green for so long.)
    #347-367 has the Hulk adopting the identity of "Mr. Fixit"...
    #368-377 has the return of the Green Hulk and the merger storyline.
    #379-425 has the Merged Hulk join the Pantheon and his adventures with that group.
    You can get the Hulk Visionaries" Peter David trades for the majority of these issues, but the line has been discontinued. The rest of these issues should be pretty easy to find.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I've never read anything from PAD that I didn't like, but if I had to pick favorites I'd say X-Factor (both runs), Aquaman, Supergirl, and Star Trek.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    For myself, I think the best of PAD's run were issues #331-#425.
    #331-346 spends time building up the Gray Hulk into his own distinct character (since he'd been green for so long.)
    #347-367 has the Hulk adopting the identity of "Mr. Fixit"...
    #368-377 has the return of the Green Hulk and the merger storyline.
    #379-425 has the Merged Hulk join the Pantheon and his adventures with that group.
    You can get the Hulk Visionaries" Peter David trades for the majority of these issues, but the line has been discontinued. The rest of these issues should be pretty easy to find.
    Thank you. Are each period self contained or do you need to start from #331?

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik K. Kristensen View Post
    Thank you. Are each period self contained or do you need to start from #331?
    I'd start with #331. Even though the first few issues are spent trying to tie up loose ends from Byrne & Milgrom's runs (Rick Jones Hulk, Hulkbusters, Ramon, etc), he starts planting the seeds into making the Gray Hulk a very different character from the green one and bringing in themes . #333 has the Hulk breaking into a liquor store and getting drunk so that Banner doesn't make it back to Gamma Base. #334 officially begins the "Ground Zero" storyline, where the Hulk finds out that Half-Life was created by a gamma bomb the previous year. All good stuff.

BANNED

New Frontier books.

Fallen Angel, and Young Justice are my favourite long runs. Favourite single arc was ending of Supergirl, with Atlantis Chronicles being a close runner-up.

Can't think of anything of his that I've read and disliked, I think I've possibly read more comics by him than any other geezer, though John Ostrander and Garth Ennis must be close in that "contest".

I loved the first arc of X-Factor. Ryan Sook's art was a big part of that enjoyment too.

His original X-Factor run in the 90's remains to this day some of the best and most original stuff I've ever read.
    Young justice and his Captain Marvel come next, but no one can deny what a great read his Hulk was, and I was never that into the character to begin with. His Aquaman is also great.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Luved his Spiderman annuals with Ace. Awesome.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Atlantis Chronicles. But I like almost everything. (Except, strangely, Young Justice.)

I do think he had a tendency earlier in his career to structure issues around jokes, so when the joke fell flat, so did the issue. Hasn't done that in several years, though.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 06-01-2014 at 10:16 PM.

All-New Member

I appreciate all of his work to greater and lesser degrees- X-Factor being a favorite...

but I have to say that my absolute favorite story he ever wrote were his four 'Tribute' stories in several Marvel annuals of the early 90s. The one featuring Mystique is flat out one of the best stories featuring that character ever and most writers since should be ashamed to have not applied this brilliant piece to her characterization.

The only I've read of Peter David was X-Factor, and I found it very enjoyable

Just finished up his Green Lantern run in Action Comics Weekly. Realized from the letter column that he'd been fired from the gig. The run started well but got truly iffy pretty quickly.

I'm loving his new All New X-Factor run.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.